Waiting to trade Crowder

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had to know there was more to it than Jones not wanting to make a trade.

Yeah, we do not know what the particulars are. It may even involve trading draft picks or taking on future salary.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we do not know what the particulars are. It may even involve trading draft picks or taking on future salary.
If the Suns were interested in doing a one for one swap it would have happened. This tells me the type of deal the Suns are seeking with multiple teams means taking on more salary for a player that can add to the roster. That likely is being held up because of the ownership swap. On the radio they said the Suns have been fielding calls for Jae since the offseason. So, teams want him.

The timing of the ownership change is likely going to slam shut this window for a title unless somehow, they can convince ownership to let them move. I would have to imagine those conversations are taking place.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jae's not worth much but a expiring contract. everyone will be mad if they just let it expire next year. Its better then having some average player with two more years on his contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns were interested in doing a one for one swap it would have happened. This tells me the type of deal the Suns are seeking with multiple teams means taking on more salary for a player that can add to the roster. That likely is being held up because of the ownership swap. On the radio they said the Suns have been fielding calls for Jae since the offseason. So, teams want him.

The timing of the ownership change is likely going to slam shut this window for a title unless somehow, they can convince ownership to let them move. I would have to imagine those conversations are taking place.

I wouldn't count on current Suns ownership doing them any favors. If present ownership has already stopped a trade, I'm not optimistic about a meaningful trade getting done.

I was hoping the transfer of ownership would occur sooner than February 9th or James Jones had more authority to approve a trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jae's not worth much but a expiring contract. everyone will be mad if they just let it expire next year. Its better then having some average player with two more years on his contract.

I agree but this may not be so easily done if current ownership is reticent to do it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had to know there was more to it than Jones not wanting to make a trade.
What was his excuse last year and the year before for not upgrading at the 4 position, which has been a position of need? Or why they sat on the decision to make Dario’s an injury exemption until THE LAST MOMENT possible, failing to use that exemption most of the season to upgrade?

I just can’t automatically blame Sarver here when for the past two seasons JJ sat on his hands and decided we were “good enough” when you’re as close to a title as we were.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on current Suns ownership doing them any favors. If present ownership has already stopped a trade, I'm not optimistic about a meaningful trade getting done.

I was hoping the transfer of ownership would occur sooner than February 9th or James Jones had more authority to approve a trade.
You can't blame existing ownership since they have no idea what the new guy is going to want to do. They in essence would be spending his money and the new investors money.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is interesting that ownership changes hands during the season. I imagine they're working out who covers player salaries as well as the luxury tax they're set to pay this season. That's a small part of the total deal but I believe the brothers are buying 70-80% of the team with other members of the ownership group remaining on board.

Regardless of that, a deal needed to be done before Sarver was put in position to be pushed out. JJ should have known once the investigation on Sarver was finished the Suns wouldn't be looked at kindly around the league and he should have known it could create issues that resulted in a change at the top, like what happened. He didn't do enough to prepare for what came and now the team is paying for it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The vetting process for the Suns new owner is not expected to be complete before the February 9th trade deadline. This could curtail the possibility of a major trade.

Here is more from the above linked article.

By Brian Windhorst ESPN Senior Writer:

Acting governor Sam Garvin is in charge of the day-to-day and said he has a sign-off on trades, but only to a certain point. And Mat Ishbia has an agreement to buy the team and is preparing for a midseason takeover, but it's not expected he will be through the vetting process before the Feb. 9 trade deadline.

To understand why the Suns haven't yet been able to find a deal for disgruntled forward Jae Crowder as injuries have ravaged the team and disrupted a 20-18 start, Phoenix's ownership morass is a contributing factor.

I heard the guys on the radio keep saying the deal is supposed to be culminated before the end of January. I don't know where they are getting this info, maybe Gambo from Sarver? They keep repeating NBA will approve before end of January ahead of the February trade deadline.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the guys on the radio keep saying the deal is supposed to be culminated before the end of January. I don't know where they are getting this info, maybe Gambo from Sarver? They keep repeating NBA will approve before end of January ahead of the February trade deadline.

I haven't had a chance to listen much. Hope they are right.

James Jones does appear on Arizona Sports on a regular basis, but I'm not sure if he would share this type of information.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I heard the deal won’t be done until after the trade deadline, sources not from the radio.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the deal won’t be done until after the trade deadline, sources not from the radio.

If the sale of the franchise is not complete before the trade deadline, I hope the Suns can trade Crowder at least for a role player in a position of need and fill the open roster spot with a buyout. They have the taxpayer MLE.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the sale of the franchise is not complete before the trade deadline, I hope the Suns can trade Crowder at least for a role player in a position of need and fill the open roster spot with a buyout. They have the taxpayer MLE.
Or we trade Crowder to a crappy team for a first and a second round pick in next years draft then resume the Tankalank.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or we trade Crowder to a crappy team for a first and a second round pick in next years draft then resume the Tankalank.

Except I don't think a bad team would have any use for Crowder.

If he was worth a first round pick, he would likely be gone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns rumored to have interest in Charlotte's Jalen McDaniels.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Crowder were used in the trade, it would require another team because the salaries don't work.

Most of the trade scenarios with Crowder I have seen appear to be 3 team deals. I expect the rumor mill to go into overdrive the closer we get to the deadline.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the trade scenarios with Crowder I have seen appear to be 3 team deals. I expect the rumor mill to go into overdrive the closer we get to the deadline.

The Suns could trade a minimum contract player plus assets and the trade would work.

Prior to Oubre being injured, there were rumors the Suns were interested in him as well.

Crowder + a minimum contract player works in a trade for Daniels + Oubre.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2lm66yyt

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was hoping we look higher than adding bench pieces. Using Crowder plus OTHER assets to get a bigger splash deal done, bigger name players. That's if we are adding to our core. If we are blowing this **** up, then everyone below Booker I am good with as long as the team gets better offensively diversified, more athletic, and maintains defensive level we have when we play our best defense. I see a lot of Western Conference teams getting younger and more athletic, and we struggle with these teams.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping we look higher than adding bench pieces. Using Crowder plus OTHER assets to get a bigger splash deal done, bigger name players. That's if we are adding to our core. If we are blowing this **** up, then everyone below Booker I am good with as long as the team gets better offensively diversified, more athletic, and maintains defensive level we have when we play our best defense. I see a lot of Western Conference teams getting younger and more athletic, and we struggle with these teams.
That is my hope as well but I have a feeling instead of a splash at the deadline, JJ is going cause a tiny ripple and just add another bench player. I don't see how this season and a chance at a title is salvageable otherwise.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What other assets? Trading our pick would be foolish at this point given we're headed to the lottery. It wouldn't shock me if we did move it now though. We don't really control any other valuable assets as Cam J is injured, Ayton isn't worth his contract, and Mikal has more value here than anywhere else. If you thought we'd get real quality from Crowder after 4 months of him sitting out then your expectations were way too high. A young piece like McDaniel would be nice to have. It's a joke that JJ has waited this long to make a move like that though. I'd hope we get a second rounder or something in return.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we shouldn't have to give up Jae for a younger Torrey Craig

IMO, Craig is more than Crowder. Both players are on expiring contracts anyway. The math doesn't work straight up.