Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd love for Brit to explain where and when athletes will actually study. Anyone with any exposure to high level college athletics knows these kids barely go to class, many have their own class rooms/tutors, and that the goal of the athletic depts is to keep these kids eligible - not create Rhodes scholars.

It's a total joke, and 90+% of them will learn very little of value to prep them for the real world.
Their choice.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would guess the % of professional athletes who feel like they are fulfilling their life's dream, and those who feel they are just getting paid to do something they are good at, mirrors the non-athlete business world. Some guys will go to Google because of the free cafeteria. Some go to another company because they don't care about the cafeteria but want higher pay. Facts are that the more skilled you are, the more options you have, and with options comes the ability to make demands/have standards.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah… I disagree with Shane on a ton of political issues, but I’ve also met him multiple times and dude is a rock solid guy.

Don’t see any reason to be slinging insults here.
Ehhhhh Shane is okaaaaaaay...... :biglaugh:

(Shane, you know you're my guy.)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess the % of professional athletes who feel like they are fulfilling their life's dream, and those who feel they are just getting paid to do something they are good at, mirrors the non-athlete business world. Some guys will go to Google because of the free cafeteria. Some go to another company because they don't care about the cafeteria but want higher pay. Facts are that the more skilled you are, the more options you have, and with options comes the ability to make demands/have standards.
All true

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, but what are those degrees in? Most of them are communications or sports journalism or some other nonsense. Larry Fitzgerald's U of Phoenix degree is EXTREMELY marketable.

None of these guys are on track for careers outside of/without football that will pay them six-figure incomes at age 23.
HEY!!!! I majored in communications! (Actually graduated with a Health Administration degree) But I resent that remark nonetheless!

:biglaugh:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Their choice.
What is their choice? Perhaps you didn't understand what I said. Their schedule makes it nearly impossible to achieve anything of academic importance. Between practice, film study, game travel, player events, these kids have zero time for almost anything else.

Kids know what they're there for, and it's aint for playing school. Let's not act like the vast majority of these kids have the time or the energy of the university to actually educate them for anything other than football, the reason they're on campus in the first place.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 80% have a degree....got it...lol
Yeah and 10 years ago it was 95%. And these are high end tech jobs.

Two points
1. That's a huge shift and it continuing increase each year.
2. Many folks with degrees got them a year ago when they thought it was required. I read not too long ago that entry level hires at Google were at a 50% rate of degrees with a majority of those being folks here on visas. These folks with visas come here from countries where degrees are free or actually affordable.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, the argument about choosing to do something else has merit... but so does saying that playing in the NFL, even on the practice squad, is a better gig than the vast majority of most people on this planet, or even educated first world adults, are ever gonna get. So, yeah, it's a "choice," but taking your communications degree into the real world is gonna net you $30k, whereas one year on an active roster is gonna net you a minimum of $705,000.

Now, that doesn't make me feel bad in the least that they have to pay for a boxed meal at the end of the day, though. So do most of us.
These numbers look good from the Gross standpoint in a vacuum.

This is the take home.

You must be registered for see images attach

Again, the average career only 3 years, but WRs average only 2 years. So let's talk WR for a moment.

So let's say WR A was on an active roster for the entire 2 year. They took home about 760k. Ok, that seems like a lot of money. How lets remember that you must play 3 full seasons to be vested and get insurance for life. This player non longer has insurance and only played two years because his knee blew out on a special team assignment. Now, once recovered and cut, he's on his own. Also, that communications is going to help him make $30k a year with really bad insurance. Now he's fronting 20k to 30k a year to take care of his damaged body and he has to sell the house he purchased to cover these expenses. He has a little money left, but he is not rich and he broken.

Now, let's look at a very common one, the PS player who last one season.

This is his take home.

But he also blew his knee out in practice. All of the above is the same except he didn't get a nice littler reserve to start with. His life become much darker.

These are the realities of many players. For every Kyler making $40 plus million, there are a couple hundred a year clearing just $136k a year and a handful of those will the example above.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
These numbers look good from the Gross standpoint in a vacuum.

This is the take home.

Again, the average career only 3 years, but WRs average only 2 years. So let's talk WR for a moment.

So let's say WR A was on an active roster for the entire 2 year. They took home about 760k. Ok, that seems like a lot of money. How lets remember that you must play 3 full seasons to be vested and get insurance for life. This player non longer has insurance and only played two years because his knee blew out on a special team assignment. Now, once recovered and cut, he's on his own. Also, that communications is going to help him make $30k a year with really bad insurance. Now he's fronting 20k to 30k a year to take care of his damaged body and he has to sell the house he purchased to cover these expenses. He has a little money left, but he is not rich and he broken.

Now, let's look at a very common one, the PS player who last one season.

This is his take home.

But he also blew his knee out in practice. All of the above is the same except he didn't get a nice littler reserve to start with. His life become much darker.

These are the realities of many players. For every Kyler making $40 plus million, there are a couple hundred a year clearing just $136k a year and a handful of those will the example above.
Well, for one - the current minimum for 0 years of service in the NFL is $750,000. You'll have to adjust those numbers. Even with the tax rates you're laying down, a player is still taking home a lot more than the average American 22 year old. Enough to outright buy a house, and a decent car, all in cash. So for one year of play, they're taking home to get ahead in life on most people by like... ten years.

Even with a blown out knee (that would come with an injury settlement we're not counting here), that practice squad player still took home more pay in one year (for what's not even a full year of full-time work) than I made working with a college degree in total before I was say, 27-28?

I dunno, claiming these guys are in a really tough situation after so many already got free college degrees, and make more money for a few months of work than most people make in half a decade just seems... I dunno, almost insulting to the common man.

Yeah, you're putting your body on the line, but that's a quite nice compensation package for it. You can blow your knee out being a tower climber or construction worker and deal with not having any of that money to fall back on, maybe a few hundred bucks from disability.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, for one - the current minimum for 0 years of service in the NFL is $750,000.
I'm stopping you right there because that is false. PS players can make $207k max for the entire season if not on the active roster. There were about 500 players last season that fell into that bucket out of about 2300 players or about 21% of the league. The league is very top and bottom heavy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm stopping you right there because that is false. PS players can make $207k max for the entire season if not on the active roster. There were about 500 players last season that fell into that bucket out of about 2300 players or about 21% of the league. The league is very top and bottom heavy.
Sorry, I was talking about your first chart, which was based off of active roster players, not practice squad.

$207k is still lots of freaking money. It's not out of the realm to say it's more money than I will ever make in a year. Not to mention they still work like half the year and don't even work full eight hour days.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yup.

Cards should offer tip top services and facilities.

Also very well paid people having to pay for meals in the offseason if at the facility when they would have to pay for meals if they trained elsewhere (as many do) is an extremely unimportant issue which literally affects nothing outside a few bucks from players pockets.

If they offered the best facilities in the league and players had to pay for meals in the offseason nobody would be bothered. The meal thing has become some weird totem for "cheap cardinals" talk.
Nah you’re not getting it. It’s not a “cheap cardinals” argument. It’s a “the organization doesn’t make the players excited about being a cardinal” argument. No matter how much money you make in any walk of life how an organization makes you feel is important. Particularly when there are other organizations that don’t receive F’s or F minuses in every category other than strength coaches and trainers (who ironically were fired). This isn’t a money issue, even though you keep wanting to make it one. This is a work culture issue. Maybe this is lost on you because you work for yourself?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is literally one of the most misinformed things I've ever seen on this board. Hilarious.
Eh it’s in the 40s percentagewise. Now the second part of his statement, that they could go on to have successful careers doing something else . . . that’s a more dubious statement. First, “successful” is completely subjective. Second, not all of their degrees are in subjects that lend themselves to “careers.” Third, I’m sure that substantially less than 100% of college grads consider their careers “successful” these days, so you’re likely talking a percent of a percent of like 46% nfl players having a nonfootball “successful career.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Doesn't freaking matter. A degree, pretty much any degree, gets your foot in the door over old farts like me that never finished.
Over old farts like you, probably. Over their age-appropriate competition? No. Not in todays day and age.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
$207k is still lots of freaking money.
Not when your average career is less than 2 years, and half of it is taken in taxes. Why is this so hard to understand?
Not to mention they still work like half the year and don't even work full eight hour days.
Jesus, do you really believe this ridiculousness? If you think these guys aren't on a workout/training plan 24/7/365, you're delusional. Sure, they play 17 games a year, but they're working full time all year long.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not when your average career is less than 2 years, and half of it is taken in taxes. Why is this so hard to understand?
And another 10-20% is taken by agents and managers.
Jesus, do you really believe this ridiculousness? If you think these guys aren't on a workout/training plan 24/7/365, you're delusional. Sure, they play 17 games a year, but they're working full time all year long.
Yeah… that’s such a fundamental misunderstanding of how much work these professional athletes put in not only during season, but during the off-season.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something isn't adding up with Murphy in free agency. I thought for sure he would easily get a longer termed contract valued at over $11M per year with something like $20M guaranteed. He is only 25 years old and should have many years left in him. Unless his back issue is worse than we know.

The fact that the best he could get was a two year deal at $8.7M per year with only $8M guaranteed is kind of shocking. Pretty much every team in the league could use help at DB.

It makes no sense for the Cardinals not to pay Murphy more than the Vikes did to keep him, and other teams for that matter. Are we overvaluing Murphy? Is his injury worse than we think? Did Murphy even get an offer from the Cardinals or other teams?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From Byron Murphy to college degrees/economics. I got a headache from the last page of posts. 'Cause I'm not edumacated and don't have a dee-gree from college. LOL

Need I say it....?

This is the Way.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Something isn't adding up with Murphy in free agency. I thought for sure he would easily get a longer termed contract valued at over $11M per year with something like $20M guaranteed. He is only 25 years old and should have many years left in him. Unless his back issue is worse than we know.

The fact that the best he could get was a two year deal at $8.7M per year with only $8M guaranteed is kind of shocking. Pretty much every team in the league could use help at DB.

It makes no sense for the Cardinals not to pay Murphy more than the Vikes did to keep him, and other teams for that matter. Are we overvaluing Murphy? Is his injury worse than we think? Did Murphy even get an offer from the Cardinals or other teams?
Is there gonna be a cap bump next year for broadcast rights? It seems like a lot of thee early deals getting done are fairly short.

Maybe players are expected to find a bigger market next year. All things considered, I think Murphy got the second-biggest CB deal on the market.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
From Byron Murphy to college degrees/economics. I got a headache from the last page of posts. 'Cause I'm not edumacated and don't have a dee-gree from college. LOL

Need I say it....?

This is the Way.
If you know your 3 R's, you'll be just fine.

Readin'
Ritin'
'Rithmetic

Reactions: TRW

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there gonna be a cap bump next year for broadcast rights? It seems like a lot of thee early deals getting done are fairly short.

Maybe players are expected to find a bigger market next year. All things considered, I think Murphy got the second-biggest CB deal on the market.
Possibly, he could be banking on himself. I would personally want to get as much as I could get now knowing how quick careers can be in the NFL.

Murphy is currently the 23rd highest paid CB on the market after just signing his new contract.

Other free agent CBs this year who have signed so far:

A 30 year old Jonathan Jones just got a better 2 year deal with the patriots $9.5M per year with $13M guaranteed

Cameron Sutton got a 3 year deal at $11M per year and $21M guaranteed

A 30 year old James Bradberry just signed a 3 year deal at $12.7M per year with $20M guaranteed

Jamal Dean just got a 4 year deal at $13M per year and $21.5M guaranteed.

I really thought that Murphy would have got something similar to the Sutton deal.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Pelissero suggested that Murphy could get upwards of $16M per year. Man was he off base.

Veterans James Bradberry (age 29), Jonathan Jones (29) and Cam Sutton (28) figure to do well on their third multi-year deals. But don't be surprised if Dean paces the CB market, with a contract that could start in the range of $16 million a year. A third-round pick by the Buccaneers in 2019, Dean quietly has emerged as one of the NFL's better young cornerbacks, with seven interceptions and 41 passes defensed in 57 career games (38 starts). Per PFF, Dean allowed a 50 percent completion rate (fourth among CBs with at least 50 targets) and 6.1 yards per target (T-10th) in primary coverage last season, with a forced incompletion rate of 16.2 percent (T-12th).

Murphy potentially could push toward $16 million per year, too, as a do-it-all corner whom the Cardinals used at times to shadow the likes of Davante Adams. By PFF's count, Murphy allowed 9.7 yards per reception in primary coverage last season (ninth among CBs, min. 50 targets) and yielded just seven plays of at least 15 yards (tied for fourth).

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't care that half of it is taken in taxes! My take-home at that age was like $20,000! I really could care less. Those guys won't be driving beater cars that break down every other week or sleeping on an air mattress in a spare room because it's the best they can do with their college degree. Again, this is vs. the common man. It's a ton of money. I'm 36 years old and I broke the $100k mark in compensation before taxes at 34, and most people I know aren't even there.

Do you realize how life changing $100k is for a kid just out of school?

I knew a ton of NFL players when I was younger, and that's BS. Sure, maybe they hit the gym, but a lot of us hit the gym while still working 40 hours in office. No one is training and working out 8 hours a day, 52 weeks a year. I knew plenty of guys who as soon as the season was over, went to smoking weed, drinking, clubbing, and playing videogames for like 3-5 months before really getting back in the gym before light work, and getting ready for OTAs.

Trips to Vegas, trips to Cabo, whatever. And I'm talking a mix of practice squad guys, mid-tier drafted guys, some guys who eventually were pro bowl players...

My practice squad friend had a nice house, two jet skis, and two cars by the end of his first year. Eventually he made the active roster and had a short career, but it set him up for life. Now he works a pretty substandard job, but has a nicer, completely paid off home, a nice car, and a great nest egg to start a family.

Edit: Maybe I'm delusional and all of you bemoaning how little players make jumped right out of college into $100k jobs with zero debt... no one I know did.