Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I thought they were going to build the scheme around the talents of the players available?

Allen could be a really good 4-3 DT, where he was effect for the... checks notes... Arizona Cardinals. Byron Murphy was effective playing outside the past two seasons for the... quick google search... Arizona Cardinals.

Trading DHop actually saves cap money if done this year.

People complaining about shedding bad contracts are complaining because we're not doing that. If we dump Zach Ertz (age 33) and James Conner (age 28) right now we'd eat nearly $20 million in dead money and save about $3 million on this years cap. But then we'd be done with them and clear the 2024 cap and beyond. That's how you start a rebuild.
I agree...I do think, however, guys like Ertz and Conner will be on the chopping block after the draft. For Ertz, it may not be until he's healthy to practice, so they don't have to do an injury settlement.

According to Spotrac, for Ertz a Pre-June cut this year is only a $2.6 million savings, with $10 million dead cap...However, after June 1st a cut this year is a $6.6 cap savings, with $6 million dead in 2023 and $4 million dead in 2024. it could be they are waiting to see what other players get designated as June 1st cuts??? Darius Slay??? If they trade Ertz after June 1 this year, dead cap is $2 million this year and $4 million 2024, with a cap savings of $10.6 million this year.

Conner is more interesting: Pre-June 1st Release: Dead cap 2023 $9.75 Million, Cap Savings just $695k. Post June 1st Release: Dead Cap $7.75 million in 2023 and $2 million in 2024. Pre-June 1st Trade: $4 million dead cap and $6.445 cap savings. Post June 1st Trade: $2 million dead in 2023 and 2024 with $8.445 million in cap savings.

It seems to me for Conner there is trade flexibility for the Cards to move him pre-June 1st and eat some of the potential cap savings.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is the way.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Monti better be the best talent evaluator in the history of the NFL. You are only expecting him to hit at a clip that has never been seen in the history of the NFL. Develop 20 NFL starters from the draft and UDFA in 2 years?
Exactly. I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to understand.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I mean, I knew it wouldn't take long for this kind of negative nonsense to start but I didn't expect it before free agency officially started. The first brush strokes have been made on the canvas and already your criticizing the artist without any idea what the final picture is supposed to be.

That's it guys. Monti sucks already because he let a couple of average players walk. A couple of guys that have never sniffed a pro bowl and who between them (cover your ears here K9) have 1 season with a PFF grade over 70 in 8. Between them they have 5 years below 60.

But we drafted them, and they are young, so we should get all angsty about it. You'd think we let Quinnen Williams and Patrick Surtain walk.

Two complete average players in any measurable aspect. Albeit standout on this roster.

I could find an argument to keep both of them in a different situation, but at the same time it's certainly not the end of the world.
Brit’s right! This sub-average team has no need for young average talent. We can easily wait until free agency is over like last season and load up on value sun-average talent. That’s the way to build a winner long term . . .

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Monti better be the best talent evaluator in the history of the NFL. You are only expecting him to hit at a clip that has never been seen in the history of the NFL. Develop 20 NFL starters from the draft and UDFA in 2 years?
Here is the deal, the GM was not even their first choice. Such expectations.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just to be clear...

Does anyone thing the first day of free agency is an appropriate, rational or sensible time to be making the kind of statements seen on this board lately?
Yes. Apparently lots of us do. Just as you think posting the same stuff from last year - despite being proven tragically wrong - makes you think the way you do.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree...I do think, however, guys like Ertz and Conner will be on the chopping block after the draft. For Ertz, it may not be until he's healthy to practice, so they don't have to do an injury settlement.

According to Spotrac, for Ertz a Pre-June cut this year is only a $2.6 million savings, with $10 million dead cap...However, after June 1st a cut this year is a $6.6 cap savings, with $6 million dead in 2023 and $4 million dead in 2024. it could be they are waiting to see what other players get designated as June 1st cuts??? Darius Slay??? If they trade Ertz after June 1 this year, dead cap is $2 million this year and $4 million 2024, with a cap savings of $10.6 million this year.

Conner is more interesting: Pre-June 1st Release: Dead cap 2023 $9.75 Million, Cap Savings just $695k. Post June 1st Release: Dead Cap $7.75 million in 2023 and $2 million in 2024. Pre-June 1st Trade: $4 million dead cap and $6.445 cap savings. Post June 1st Trade: $2 million dead in 2023 and 2024 with $8.445 million in cap savings.

It seems to me for Conner there is trade flexibility for the Cards to move him pre-June 1st and eat some of the potential cap savings.
This is incoherent with the idea we’re going to clean up the cap and roster for 2024 and beyond. Using June 1 designations pushes their cap charge into the future and limits flexibility down the road.

The additional benefit of biting the bullet on these guys now is that Michael has less payroll in 2023 as their dead cap charge is accelerating bonuses already paid.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nope. I swear it feels like everyone thinks Keim is still the GM. We have no idea what’s going on behind closed doors. The fact that everyone here knows more than the guys who haven’t even started FA yet wants me to put a bullet in my head reading this ****. Buncha glass half empty armchair GMs. Maybe we deserve a ****** team.
We don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors but we DO know what’s happening before our eyes. From your perspective are we a better roster than the one from last season with +strong and white and -Murphy and Allen? If you say “no” (and I can’t see how anyone could possibly reasonably argue “yes”) it becomes crystal clear why there is concern. You can only truly analyze what has actually occurred with any certainty. Saying “wait for [choose your own adventure]” has no value in current analysis.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s a fair statement but we still don’t know what the broader picture is. We know they said they wanted to build from the trenches out. If we get to summer and that doesn’t seem to have happened then I think we can complain.
Why? They could trade for a player during training camp. They could trade for players up until the trading deadline. They could sign awesome street free agents after that. There’s no reason to wait with analysis unless it’s just because you don’t like what the analysis is telling you TODAY. Which is all that anyone is criticizing.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is the way.
Pat Kirwan made this point yesterday...He said a team could sign Penny, Kareem Hunt and David Montgomery, all together, for less than some starting RBs now...and he guaranteed you'd be able to run the ball.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dec 31st '22: Keim sucks. Burn it down. Fire everyone. Major rebuild needed.

Mar 15th '23: WTF is the new GM doing? I don't want to suck next year. When I said rebuild I didn't mean the player I like.

Makes no sense.

Newsflash. We're going to suck next year. Our starting QB is going to miss games. The roster is at least 2 years away from being competitive.
Yes ASFN was calling for every player on the roster to be waived or traded. You nailed it. Great job Brit.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you can root for a rebuild and still be upset we didn’t re-sign players who should be part of that rebuild. No one thinks Zach Allen and Byron Murphy make us competitive next year.
Absolutely not. Some peoples dictionary’s only define “rebuild” as all or nothing.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We paid Prater 3.25mm last year. And just signed him to a 2-year 7.25mm contract this week

We could have drafted a kicker in the 7th round and paid him 630k per year for the next 4 years.

That difference would have made the Murphy contract 5mm per year instead of 8mm per over the next 2 years. And that's without doing any crazy cap calisthenics.

WTH ARE THESE PEOPLE DOING?

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
We paid Prater 3.25mm last year. And just signed him to a 2-year 7.25mm contract this week

We could have drafted a kicker in the 7th round and paid him 630k per year for the next 4 years.

That difference would have made the Murphy contract 5mm per year instead of 8mm per over the next 2 years. And that's without doing any crazy cap calisthenics.

It's really a 1 year deal...just 2 years on paper. If they wanted Murphy they could have signed Murphy.

Reactions: PJ1

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It's really a 1 year deal...just 2 years on paper. If they wanted Murphy they could have signed Murphy.
4 years ago he was the #1 pick of the 2nd round.
2 years ago he was a top slot corner.
5 INT's, 5 Fumble Recoveries, 2 defensive TD's, 184 tackles, 5 TFL's and he's from the damn city we play in.

This is zombie level idiocy on behalf of this organization. You do not let go of CB's this young with his level of ball skills. Not when it's clear he was cheap and could have been kept.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
4 years ago he was the #1 pick of the 2nd round.
2 years ago he was a top slot corner.
5 INT's, 5 Fumble Recoveries, 2 defensive TD's, 184 tackles, 5 TFL's and he's from the damn city we play in.

This is zombie level idiocy on behalf of this organization. You do not let go of CB's this young with his level of ball skills. Not when it's clear he was cheap and could have been kept.
They either didn't want him, or they wanted him at a longer term contract at a low price, instead of 1 year at a low price and Murphy said no, because he wants to truly reset his market for next year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Do you think the Cards maybe used the same numbers, but wanted a longer deal with him, through the rebuild? Basically a longer term hometown discount, but Murphy always wanted a 1 year deal (which this essentially is) to reset his value for next year? I know it's next level spitballing...
A long deal like the two year deal they gave to their targeted LB White?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

100%

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I dunno about drafting a kicker, but there are a bunch of street free agents available for the minimum. These guys are going to be 85% as good as Prater for 25% of the cost.

Rookie kickers are a wild card, but if I'm the coach I want every little edge I can get. An effective kicker can make the difference in 2-4 games per season (as we saw this year!). You don't want to be foolhardy with that if you're a team that's not planning to win 13 games.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The worst part is not that new regime didn't keep a player who is young and talented CB.

The worst part is that the local home grown boy likely doesn't want to do anything with that local franchise anymore.....