Video Game-A-Day #18: Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (NES)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

At one time, Mike Tyson was not only the greatest boxer in the world, but one of the greatest athletes. It's fitting that you played as Little Mac, who may have been the smallest boxer in the ring, but had a lot of heart. Battling your way through numerous comical boxers, including Soda Popinski and Mr. Sandman, the ultimate goal was to fight Iron Mike Tyson for the World Video Boxing Association Title. With a grin and a wink, Tyson unleashed a flurry of punches that, true to life, could knock Little Mac down with a single hit. No other boxing game has ever been as entertaining; few sports games have even been this good.

Still one of the most addictive games I have ever played and IMO still the best (although massively unrealistic) boxing/sports games ever created. Even after all of these years, still one of the toughest games to beat as well. In my lifetime I've only beaten the game once (well without game genie) and I don't remember how I did it.

Great cartoon like graphics, unusual yet easily identifiable sound effects, and great great gameplay have made this game timeless. There of course was also the comic aspect of knocking the boxers down and watch as they sway back and forth for no particular reason before finally landing on the canvas (trash talk between rounds wasn't bad either)

Hard to believe its almost 20 years since this game came out.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
boisesuns said:
What was the big fat guys name?

King Hippo?

Man, I just started playing this game again on D-Dogg's NES. I forgot how much fun it was. 20 years later and I still remember Tyson's code: 007 363 5963. ;)

A-Bomb

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
phillycard said:
Man, if you got caught with a Tyson blow....

I remember my friend and I taking turns, trying to see who could last the longest. I think my personal best was something like 21 seconds. lol

A-Bomb

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I played this again recently....and was still able to get all the way up to Macho Man.

My reflexes weren't good enough to withstand the 1000 punch Spinny Thing he does.

Good lord....I always found Macho Man harder than Tyson.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely love this game. Last year I found my NES, and I bought Mike Tyson's Punch Out almost immediately. I love playing this game.

I have yet to beat Tyson though. Someday, someday.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I never could get past Macho Man. My favorite of the boxers was Soda Popinski.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
I never could get past Macho Man. My favorite of the boxers was Soda Popinski.
Macho Man was definitely tough.

Sometimes I have trouble with Bald Bull (both of them) even though I know where I need to punch. My timing is just off or something...

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
King Hippo?

Man, I just started playing this game again on D-Dogg's NES. I forgot how much fun it was. 20 years later and I still remember Tyson's code: 007 363 5963. ;)

A-Bomb

I love being a guy. It's ok for us to be able to remember video game codes after 20 years and still be able to forget important birthdays.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You could hold down select between rounds and your health would go up

:|

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a one of a kind game. I have beaten this game a dozen times or so. I have only beaten him in the second round twice, and about 10 times in the 3rd round. There are definitely keys to beating him. In the first round, he throws one of his patented uppercuts every 6 seconds or so. If you dodge the uppercut quick enough, you can give him two quick jabs to the face. It is near impossible to hit him in the gut in the first round. If you hit him in the face when he winks, it will give you a star, which you need to knock him down. Your best bet is to go for a 3rd round knockout. In the second round, you need to take as much energy as you can from him, so the beginning of the third round, you can knock him out quickly.

I do not remember exactly what he said and the end of the game, but he says something like:

"...Great job Mac, I have never seen such finger speed before"

Kudos to the person who remembered the code to get to Tyson.

I also remember all of the undefeated codes to the various belts. So true about remembering stuff like this and up up, down down, left right left right B A (select) start, is something that will never leave your mind.

Super Punchout was fun as well, but of course it could never live up to Tyson's Punchout. I remember that they rereleased this game as well, simply called Punchout with some white guy that basically played Tyson. I dont remember the reason for this, but it was probably the rape case against him.

Ok, novel finished!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
Super Punchout was fun as well, but of course it could never live up to Tyson's Punchout. I remember that they rereleased this game as well, simply called Punchout with some white guy that basically played Tyson. I dont remember the reason for this, but it was probably the rape case against him.

Yeah, it was because of the rape conviction.

A-Bomb

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boisesuns said:
I guess that's why they never released "Bite Out" for NES huh?

:)

Nah, it would have had to be released for the Gamecube. :)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
Nah, it would have had to be released for the Gamecube. :)

N64, most likely. The bite was summer of 1997. ;)

A-Bomb