Victor dimukeje

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So it's not like any player from the old regime is automatically out, or a placeholder until MO/JG can bring in their guy.

If you're on the 2023 ARZ roster, and you can play some football, then you're getting meaningful snaps.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So it's not like any player from the old regime is automatically out, or a placeholder until MO/JG can bring in their guy.

If you're on the 2023 ARZ roster, and you can play some football, then you're getting meaningful snaps.
If there was an off-season narrative that I could stomach, it would be that Monti and Gannon thought so little of the previous regime that they felt they needed to evaluate every player on the the roster over this first year under their own coaching and in their own scheme. I don't know why they wouldn't just share this, but if I wanted to create a story that explains a lack of activity that is more descriptive than just the blanket "rebuilding" narrative, I feel like that is one I could stomach.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If there was an off-season narrative that I could stomach, it would be that Monti and Gannon thought so little of the previous regime that they felt they needed to evaluate every player on the the roster over this first year under their own coaching and in their own scheme. I don't know why they wouldn't just share this, but if I wanted to create a story that explains a lack of activity that is more descriptive than just the blanket "rebuilding" narrative, I feel like that is one I could stomach.
I literally said as much like 5 months ago. That was a logical reason for how they approached the off-season.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I’m almost 100% certain that what you described is exactly what we’re seeing. I heard this on a podcast a few months back, but just can’t remember whose podcast it was. May have been a Pasch interview with someone closely aligned to the NFL.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nick Rallis said something very similar to this in yesterday's presser.

He said that they couldn't evaluate anyone off tape because it's possible not everything they may be good at is on tape. That they can only do what they are asked to do in another completely different scheme. I thought it was a very good point. If you go off the tape you are basically trusting that another DC that just got fired got it right.

So they had to get people in and see what they were good at and not so good at in their scheme before they could decide what to do roster wise.

This may explain the late cut of McCoy and trade of Simmons.

It's also possible it explains some moves that didn't look like much on paper. For example "We want a DT that can do X and Y" and Monti saying "I know Kevin strong from the Titans can do that".

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Nick Rallis said something very similar to this in yesterday's presser.

He said that they couldn't evaluate anyone off tape because it's possible not everything they may be good at is on tape. That they can only do what they are asked to do in another completely different scheme. I thought it was a very good point. If you go off the tape you are basically trusting that another DC that just got fired got it right.

So they had to get people in and see what they were good at and not so good at in their scheme before they could decide what to do roster wise.

This may explain the late cut of McCoy and trade of Simmons.

It's also possible it explains some moves that didn't look like much on paper. For example "We want a DT that can do X and Y" and Monti saying "I know Kevin strong from the Titans can do that".
We heard rumblings about the talent of some of these players from the prior coaching staff. Obviously they sang Gardecks praises, but we also heard them talk up Dimukeje as well.

It's obvious now that Kliff completely lost the team last year. It sounds like even in training camp, the players had the wrong attitude and weren't practicing hard. @MadCardDisease our resident TC guy said as much. There are universes where talented teams like crap because of a lackadaisical environment.

Last week, the players on defense who looked like good players were: Dimukeje, Gardeck, Ledbetter, Collins, Thompson, White, and Clark. Fotu looked serviceable as did Strong on the DL. Barnes had some solid moments. There is more talent than what we expected.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
As did I, but if course it was just my opinion. It was the only thing that made sense.
Results--thus far and in limited fashion--can vindicate him of taking this approach. We'll see as the season stretches on and we head into the offseason. Problem is, a lot of the excuses were lack of trust in the scouting department, which is still intact. Perhaps the amount they're getting out of the current roster convinced the FO that the scouts were fine but ignored? Seems plausible.

Reactions: PJ1

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We heard rumblings about the talent of some of these players from the prior coaching staff. Obviously they sang Gardecks praises, but we also heard them talk up Dimukeje as well.

It's obvious now that Kliff completely lost the team last year. It sounds like even in training camp, the players had the wrong attitude and weren't practicing hard. @MadCardDisease our resident TC guy said as much. There are universes where talented teams like crap because of a lackadaisical environment.

Last week, the players on defense who looked like good players were: Dimukeje, Gardeck, Ledbetter, Collins, Thompson, White, and Clark. Fotu looked serviceable as did Strong on the DL. Barnes had some solid moments. There is more talent than what we expected.
Ehhh...multiple people on here brought up EDGE as one of our positions that likely had league average players on it. Dimukeje, Gardeck, and Collins all fall in that group. Clark is a rookie and White was signed as a FA. I would agree that Ledbetter and Fotu look better in this system than the previous one. I don't know how "good" they are.

I was on the "Vance is awful" as soon as he was hired so the concept that this staff could do more with less on the defensive side is not something I ever needed to be sold on. In fact, it is probably the area I had the most issue with Monti not improving.

And again, that was a fictional narrative that I could have stomached. All "pure speculation" that I have been criticized for in the past. Let's not take it as fact because it makes people feel better. At best it is true and this regime messed up getting the proper narrative out to it's fans.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember thinking Victor flashed during Kliff’s final preseason and then was disappointed when he ended up glued to VJ’s bench once the season started.

Happy to see that pop is working now and hopefully just gets better as the season goes on.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Results--thus far and in limited fashion--can vindicate him of taking this approach. We'll see as the season stretches on and we head into the offseason. Problem is, a lot of the excuses were lack of trust in the scouting department, which is still intact. Perhaps the amount they're getting out of the current roster convinced the FO that the scouts were fine but ignored? Seems plausible.
It also could be a "bad process - good result" situation. You play enough high level baseball that you learn you can read a pitch wrong and front foot a duck snort just over the 1st baseman's head for a single. That doesn't mean it is a better approach than reading the pitch correctly and squaring up a line drive that gets caught at the wall.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I remember thinking Victor flashed during Kliff’s final preseason and then was disappointed when he ended up glued to VJ’s bench once the season started.

Happy to see that pop is working now and hopefully just gets better as the season goes on.
That's crafty VaJ...Keeping dudes on the bench who might actually help.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ehhh...multiple people on here brought up EDGE as one of our positions that likely had league average players on it. Dimukeje, Gardeck, and Collins all fall in that group. Clark is a rookie and White was signed as a FA. I would agree that Ledbetter and Fotu look better in this system than the previous one. I don't know how "good" they are.

I was on the "Vance is awful" as soon as he was hired so the concept that this staff could do more with less on the defensive side is not something I ever needed to be sold on. In fact, it is probably the area I had the most issue with Monti not improving.

And again, that was a fictional narrative that I could have stomached. All "pure speculation" that I have been criticized for in the past. Let's not take it as fact because it makes people feel better. At best it is true and this regime messed up getting the proper narrative out to it's fans.

When has any team ever told fans this kind of thing?

I can't remember any ever talking abouts reasons behind FA signings or roster management.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Normally I'd agree, but Greg Dortch seems to be the stand out on this one...

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fingers crossed about injuries, but if Moore or Brown get hurt it's nice to have Dortch available. Only listed those two because of height.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I know it's not a guarantee, but I think you can assume some growth from young players. When I looked at the roster this off-season, I wasn't as down on it as others were because I expected some growth. Mind you, I have been wrong in the past on this assumption, I fully acknowledge that.

So far edge has been a strength, though that may change down the stretch. Overall the OL has been mild surprise as well. The biggest revelation has been the coaching.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm also a genius and have been saying this for months. Just wanted to get in before the 20th post echoing that sentiment.

Joking aside, I'm really happy with the defensive tenacity.

What we should be discussing is the longevity of success here... We have to revert to the mean right? No way we continue to perform this far above talent level...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also a genius and have been saying this for months. Just wanted to get in before the 20th post echoing that sentiment.

Joking aside, I'm really happy with the defensive tenacity.

What we should be discussing is the longevity of success here... We have to revert to the mean right? No way we continue to perform this far above talent level...
You’re probably right. Especially as game film accumulates. However, coaching staffs always have to adjust, evolve and put players in a position to succeed based on the next opponent.
We will see.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You’re probably right. Especially as game film accumulates. However, coaching staffs always have to adjust, evolve and put players in a position to succeed based on the next opponent.
We will see.
I mean I hope they do but I almost can't believe my eyes.

then again... I was saying that after week 1 and we continue to surprise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson