Very nice Dwight Howard article

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/mike_fish/03/02/howard.insider/

ROME, Ga. -- "Get some ice,'' Sheryl Howard yells from across court.

Mom paces above her second-row bleacher seat. Dad is a row below, chin firmly in hand, as the franchise -- Dwight Howard II, the best schoolboy player in the country -- is down in pain after banging his left knee against that of another player's in a scramble for a loose ball.

It ends up no big deal and Howard bounces back Monday night to lead Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy to a berth in the Georgia state high school final four (His modest line: 21 points, 8 boards, 6 blocks). But it's scary stuff when you're kid -- who is projected to be the first pick in the NBA draft in June (definitely no worse than the second choice) and has three-year, $10 million contract practically waiting for him -- hits the deck.

"Well, yeah, it gets your attention,'' says dad, Dwight Sr., relieved. "He fractured his growth plate two years ago. Just in one second. One play -- boom.''

So Dickie V, Billy Packer and everyone else with a microphone or keyboard can hold the advice. Forget the a-little-bit-of-college-is-good spiel. In this case, dad has already interviewed a half dozen potential agents, the 18-year-old has officially set foot on just one college campus (North Carolina) and within a week of his final high school game -- maybe even that night -- Howard will announce his pro plans.

"I know what I want to do, but I need to tell everybody else,'' Dwight II says. "It's been a big dream of mine to go to the NBA since I was two years old. I wanted go to the NBA as a high schooler.''

OK, so maybe most toddlers aren't thinking pro ball, but why not go for it now? Scouts are saying the 18-year-old and Connecticut junior forward Emeka Okafor are the studs of the draft, so Howard will possibly be the third high school player -- after Kwame Brown and LeBron James -- to be chosen No. 1 overall. At 6-foot-11, he displays the fluidity, court sense and all-around game of a young Danny Manning before two major knee surgeries cut deeply into his skills.

Howard's put on 25 pounds since last summer, up to 250. The day after the season ends he promises to be in the weight room.

This is a kid who grew up wanting to play for the Atlanta Hawks, and the club obviously is putting itself in better position to draft him by gutting its roster with recent trades. His dad is already contemplating local endorsement deals. And so if the Ping-Pong balls fall right, Howard could do for his hometown club what James is doing for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"It wouldn't make sense to go to college right now if he's projected to be No. 1, 2, 3 or 4 in draft,'' Mr. Howard explains. "If you went to college for four years your stock could fall. In three years another LeBron James might come along.''

That's the deal. Though a terrific character person and a wonderful talent, no one in the NBA projects Howard as the second coming of King James. It might be three or four years into Howard's career before he really shines, even.

"LeBron James has an unusual fire in him,'' says a top college coach. "You don't have to worry about Dwight getting in trouble off the court. They don't come any better than this kid. But he doesn't really know how to play hard yet. See, LeBron knew how to play hard coming in the door. I watched him several times in AAU competitions and here was a kid who took no prisoners. Dwight sometimes can have fun out there and fun stops when you get up to that level.''

Howard is a wholesome, humble kid whose favorite movie is the G-rated Finding Nemo. A year ago this time, LeBron was touring around in a pricey Hummer and entangled in a fight over his high school eligibility. Howard drives an '84 Ford Crown Victoria, purchased by his dad from a church member, and serves as co-president of the student council.

The kid reveals he's been fasting the past seven weeks, not from food but what he deems to be worldly vices. "Just to make sure I keep God in front of me and not let anything sidetrack me,'' he says. That means no rap music, only gospel. No soft drinks. No cursing. And this week, no telephone.

Disciplen and order is rooted in the family. His father is a Georgia state trooper and part-time athletic director at the high school. His mother is a teacher at Southwest Atlanta Christian. Both sit courtside in the team's maroon and gray warm-ups, always making sure Dwight II signs every autograph request before heading home.

His uncle, Paul Howard, is the local district attorney best known for prosecuting a case against Baltimore Ravens star linebacker Ray Lewis. The DA is part of an agent selection committee that also includes an associate pastor and the family accountant. The early favorite to represent Howard is Chicago-based Hank Thomas, who represents Raptors center Chris Bosh.

According to dad, a gig for his son with the hometown Hawks would be ideal, but the family is going to be by Howard's side no matter where he ends up. "We've tried to instill in him that no matter what the situation is you as individual have to work hard,'' Dwight Sr. says. "You can get attached with these guys who are veterans, who are interested only in making the money -- that is why it is going to be very critical to stay with him, keep him focused on his goal.''

Someday the parents will have to pull back, but for now it's hard to fault their concern for the franchise.

Lottery be NICE to us. He sounds like the wet dream of any coach.

Dwight and Amare frontline would be rocking.

Attachments

• p1_dwighthoward_Damian%20Strohmeyer.jpg
    p1_dwighthoward_Damian%20Strohmeyer.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not ready for another HS player on the Suns unless his initials are L and B.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Mmm yeah lets take a Euro because Lampe, Zarko etc have been so good compared to Amare. :shrug:
You must be registered for see images

One thing is for sure. Howard looks better with the headband than Amare. Amare needs to stop wearing the headband. It just doesn't look good unless he changes his hair or something.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If we had the #1, I'd definitely pick Howard over Okafor--but it's pretty close to a wash between the two.

:confused:

Does that mean LeBron? LOL His initials are L and J!

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
If we had the #1, I'd definitely pick Howard over Okafor--but it's pretty close to a wash between the two.

:confused:

Does that mean LeBron? LOL His initials are L and J!

Maybe he means Leandro Barbosa???

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
QUOTE]

I can understand the attraction of Howard, but I prefer Okafor because I think he will be impact player from day one. He may not start, but he will get his 30 minutes a game and give the Suns a defensive stopper. After watching how the Suns routinely get killed by great low post scorers, it would be nice to be able to put in someone who can defense KG or Duncan without a double team every time.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Nobody guarantees that Okafor can be a great defender in the NBA. Especially right away.

How many rookies play good defense?

This year I count only one. Josh Howard.

I predict that Howard will either be better than Okafor right away or after one season, if Okafor improves a lot as well, 2 seasons.

I have no doubt that Howard will be the better one of them.

6'11, 250lbs, 18yrs old , athletic, with that attitude is just phenomenal.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can understand the attraction of Howard, but I prefer Okafor because I think he will be impact player from day one. He may not start, but he will get his 30 minutes a game and give the Suns a defensive stopper. After watching how the Suns routinely get killed by great low post scorers, it would be nice to be able to put in someone who can defense KG or Duncan without a double team every time.

I have no doubt that Okafor would be productive from the start (certainly not more than 12-14 points a game and 5 rebounds), but I think with Howard's size, there is a bigger need for Howard.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
George O'Brien said:

I am pretty sure there is any rookie out there that would be able to defend KG or Duncan one on one.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have read the same reports that everyone else is reading. What is it that I'm missing that convinces people that Howard is going to be an impact player in the first two seasons?

I'm not saying that Howard doesn't have more upside. But I just don't see Howard getting a lot of playing time his first season or two unless he goes to a team like the Hawks with no big men. On the Suns he would sit.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I have read the same reports that everyone else is reading. What is it that I'm missing that convinces people that Howard is going to be an impact player in the first two seasons?

I'm not saying that Howard doesn't have more upside. But I just don't see Howard getting a lot of playing time his first season or two unless he goes to a team like the Hawks with no big men. On the Suns he would sit.

So? From what everyone is saying, we won't compete for a title next year anyway.

Are you saying that you want to draft someone who will help right away, even though that help will probably be below their talents?

Okafor is a great talent, but I still prefer Howard, even though I know he wouldn't get much playing time his first year or two. Then again, look at Amare Stoudemire and tell me that you are absolutely certain he will sit.

scotsman13

Reaction score
okafor or howard? personally i will hold off until i see how they size up at chicago.
is okafor 6'10" that some places have been saying of late, then maybe he can play some center for us. if he is really only 6'8" that has been said in some places then i wouldnt be in favor of drafting a player who will only be getting 12 to 15 minute a game out of a lottery pick because he cant play center and his position on the court is already being played by amare. how open is he to teaching? he is only a 51% free throw shooter. it doesnt sound like he has much outside range, he needs to work on this big time.

is howard really 250 now? will he attack people like amare? what is his nba position? small forward, power forward or center? is he going to be like david robinson or reaf lafrenze? will he grow another couple inches or is 6'11" the biggest he is going to get? if howard is going to be more of a david robinson player (offense outside and driver, defense inside) and will be playing center then i am all in favor of drafting him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
okafor or howard? personally i will hold off until i see how they size up at chicago.
is okafor 6'10" that some places have been saying of late, then maybe he can play some center for us. if he is really only 6'8" that has been said in some places then i wouldnt be in favor of drafting a player who will only be getting 12 to 15 minute a game out of a lottery pick because he cant play center and his position on the court is already being played by amare. how open is he to teaching? he is only a 51% free throw shooter. it doesnt sound like he has much outside range, he needs to work on this big time.

is howard really 250 now? will he attack people like amare? what is his nba position? small forward, power forward or center? is he going to be like david robinson or reaf lafrenze? will he grow another couple inches or is 6'11" the biggest he is going to get? if howard is going to be more of a david robinson player (offense outside and driver, defense inside) and will be playing center then i am all in favor of drafting him.

Good post. I also would like to wait, but I figure that an 18-year-old kid that is 6'11" has a better chance of playing center than Okafor ever could. And that is music to my ears. :D

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
=Chaplin. Good post. I also would like to wait, but I figure that an 18-year-old kid that is 6'11" has a better chance of playing center than Okafor ever could. And that is music to my ears. :D

The chances of the Suns getting the #1 pick is pretty low, so I suspect this will not turn out to be an issue. My problem with this debate is that I remember clearly all the arguments about why trading Brand for Chandler made so much sense. Chandler is taller.

I'll admit I have a bias against drafting HS players. I consider Amare and LeBron to be flukes. Most of them take an awful long time to develop and are not mature enough. Chandler, Curry, and Diop have all been disappointing. K Brown has only recently started to show anything late in his third year.

I want taller guys too, but heigth isn't everything. Brand is listed at 6'8", yet he averages 20.2 ppg this season, 10.6 rpg, 2.35 blocks per game, and 3.3 assists per game.

If Howard is the next Kevin Garnett, then yes you have to take him. But if he is the next Chandler or K Brown, then we might regret the decision.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
But what if Okafor is the next Shane Battier??

I am sure that could be said for any college player. The jump is awfully big and some guys I thought would be super professionals turned out to be duds.

Anybody remember Stacy King? Great college center. Played a little as a backup on the first cycle of Bulls championship teams. Then was traded to the Timberwolves for Luc Longley and all but disappeared. Talent isn't enough, the player has to have the drive and desire to be a super player. King lacked it.

There is along list of talented big guys who flopped as professionals. Benoit Benjamin and Joe Barry Carroll of the 80's were #1 picks who were effectively total flops.

As for Shane Battier, he is listed at 6'8" and 220. According to HoopsHype, "Not the biggest talent in the world, but a player that can make an impact in the league thanks to his smartness, intensity and leadership... Can score, but is not a scoring machine... Can post up and shoot the ball from beyond the arc... Especially effective shooting from the corner... Tenacious defender... Quick hands... Decent rebounder... Great performer under pressure... Mediocre ballhandling skills... Not a great athlete."

Battier was a very good offensive player in college, scoring 19.9 ppg his senior year. But he was no where close to being the rebounder that Okafor is.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I know the comparison isn't the most accurate, but my point was:

For every high school player that doesnt develop like they should, there is a top college player that is no more than a role player.

Neither of the two choices is anywhere near a guaranteed thing anymore. If a colelge junior/senior is really that good, why didnt he leave early? It is a sad but true reality.

Personally, I have been voting for Okafor. Mostly because he is the safe pick, that could do what we need.

However, don't forget the last time there was a big controversey over the #1 and #2 picks. In 2002, Yao was widely argued to be the number 1 pick, but many peopl still felt Jay Williams was the safer, better selection. Even pre motorcycle injury, Yao was the better choice.

My point is there is no sure thing anymore in drafts, as much as people make it sound like upper classman college players are.

scotsman13

Reaction score
well at least we have one thing going for us. we have the suns brain trust drafting for us. no matter what else happens with whatever draft pick the suns have they will get the best player that they can get. :raccoon:

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ummm

I think I would much rather have Tayshaun Prince, Carlos Boozer, Dan Gadzuric, Flip Murray than Casey Jacobsen.

I think I would rather have Josh Howard, Boris Diaw and maybe Zaza Pachulia than Zarko.

If we drafted perfectly we would have taken Boozer in 2002, and Josh Howard in 2003.
Boozer is much better than Zarko and Josh is much better than Casey.

And we could still get Luke Jackson with the Cavs pick who is at least as good as Casey IMO.

scotsman13

Reaction score
slinslin said:
Ummm

I think I would much rather have Tayshaun Prince, Carlos Boozer, Dan Gadzuric, Flip Murray than Casey Jacobsen.

I think I would rather have Josh Howard, Boris Diaw and maybe Zaza Pachulia than Zarko.

If we drafted perfectly we would have taken Boozer in 2002, and Josh Howard in 2003.
Boozer is much better than Zarko and Josh is much better than Casey.

And we could still get Luke Jackson with the Cavs pick who is at least as good as Casey IMO.

boozer wouldnt have developed like he has if the suns had drafted him. he would have gotten no time. and the only time he would have gotten this year would have been while amare was down. Tayshaun Prince wouldnt have gotten any time behind marion and joe johnson, Dan Gadzuric is playing center for a team in the east and is still not getting any more then 17 minutes a game. the suns drafted casey jacobsen to fill a need 3 point shooting. and in 3 point shooting casey is clearly better then flip murray (casey .420 vs flip .291 vs. howard .244). so it sure looks like the suns got the best player for their needs.

as far as zarko who can play small forward and power forward and was looking outstanding before he was hurt. who can say what may have happened if he hadnt been hurt but i will say this i think that zarko will end up being a better player then any of those guys in a couple years.

no team, and i do mean no team has had a much success as the suns in the draft in the last 10 years. some people look at others that may have been taken after the suns pick without first looking at where that player would have gotten playing time behind others already on the team. broozer is good dont get me wrong but he isnt anything to amare.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
boozer wouldnt have developed like he has if the suns had drafted him. he would have gotten no time. and the only time he would have gotten this year would have been while amare was down. Tayshaun Prince wouldnt have gotten any time behind marion and joe johnson, Dan Gadzuric is playing center for a team in the east and is still not getting any more then 17 minutes a game. the suns drafted casey jacobsen to fill a need 3 point shooting. and in 3 point shooting casey is clearly better then flip murray (casey .420 vs flip .291 vs. howard .244). so it sure looks like the suns got the best player for their needs.

Tashaun Prince is so much better than Casey Jacobsen, stop arguing.

Casey Jacobsen was a bad pick.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slin, I would like to get this thread back to talk about Dwight Howard. First I have to ask you how you felt about Cabarkapa before his injury. I still wouldn't prefer any of those players over him because I'm confident he will bounce back this summer. His biggest problem since his injury is that he is struggling with his outside shot. That's a direct result of his wrist injury.

Scotsman, you are fooling yourself if you think that Carlos boozer or any of those other guys would not have seen significant time here in Phoenix. I really don't even see how you can argue that. I think Casey Jacobsen is getting better, but there were better players the Phoenix Suns could have taken instead of him.

I do like Emeka Okafor, but I'm not even sure he is an NBA starter. He certainly isn't going to be a superstar. I think he'll be a situational starter and very good bench player. He is a good team defender, but I'm not sure he is any better at one-on-one defense than Amare Stoudemire. I'm one of those that believes he is closer to 6'8" than 6'10". He could probably contribute on the boards like Elton Brand, but he isn't nearly the offensive player.

Frankly I think like Dwight Howard sounds a bit immature. Controlling parents like that scare me almost as much as Amare's mother. OK, maybe they don't scare me quite that much. I do like his size and potential though. I'll wait until I get to see him play at least in the McDonald's came to say for sure whether I think he is worth the #1, but right now I would be more inclined to take him than Okafor.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Tashaun Prince is so much better than Casey Jacobsen

I'm hardly a Jacobsen fan, but what is so exciting about Prince? He had a few good playoff games last year, but that's been about it. He's not much of a threat from three-point range and doesn't exactly light up the scoreboard, scoring a shade under 10 ppg in 33+ minutes. And he's already 24 years old.

I just can't get upset that the Suns drafted Jacobsen. Boozer is a much better player, but he wouldn't have gotten any time in Phoenix except in the small lineups that most of us would like to see go away. And the other players on your list, if they are better than Jacobsen, it certainly isn't by much.