Vazquez to the White Sox for "El Duque", Chris Young, and Luis Vizcaino

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
I like this deal. Young is one of their top prospects and El Duque could be traded during the season for more prospects.

This deal frees up some money and it's a trade that will benefit the Diamondbacks in the future. The outfield of Quentin, Young and Carlos Gonzalez in 2007 & beyond looks promising.

Honestly im a little confused to wether i like this trade or not. El Duque could be a pleasent suprise for us tho, and who knows if we even plan on keeping him at this point, but hes better than we might be getting through FA.

Ok next point, im sick of looking "beyond" to see our "promising" outfield. What is promising about 3 prospects, none of whom we know will work out. Yeah its always good to stockpile them for (1) trades and (2) in case one of them actually works out, but how many of these prospects that we have had actually turn out to be simply amazing for us? All im saying is lets not just give the prospects starting jobs...yet.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BOB_Man24 said:
Honestly im a little confused to wether i like this trade or not. El Duque could be a pleasent suprise for us tho, and who knows if we even plan on keeping him at this point, but hes better than we might be getting through FA.

Ok next point, im sick of looking "beyond" to see our "promising" outfield. What is promising about 3 prospects, none of whom we know will work out. Yeah its always good to stockpile them for (1) trades and (2) in case one of them actually works out, but how many of these prospects that we have had actually turn out to be simply amazing for us? All im saying is lets not just give the prospects starting jobs...yet.

I think the best way to preach patience is to say:

Look at Cleveland last season.

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
I think the best way to preach patience is to say:

Look at Cleveland last season.

Point taken, and i do not argue that the approach doesnt work, but all im saying is lets not put these prospects up on the mantle like they are all-stars just yet. Id love to see all of our prospects work out, but lets face it this is also a "win-now" type of senario. Who doenst like getting younger and better at the same time. I think Byrnes will do that for us, but i just dont want to rely TOO much on our prospects.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I just heard on ESPN radio's national update that the Diamondbacks are including cash in the deal. I though the dbacks refused to include cash in the deal.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
BOB_Man24 said:
Id love to see all of our prospects work out, but lets face it this is also a "win-now" type of senario.
Who said this was a "win-now" scenario? This team has needed to rebuild for about three years now and only now has begun to try and dump the long-term salaries of overpaid vets. Sure we're getting back guy like El Duque and are interested in vets such as Kenny Lofton, but those guys are going to contribute to the present as well as not strain us financially for many years.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
The only problem I have with this deal is that I absolutely DETEST El Duque. There are maybe only 2 or 3 other players in all of baseball that I hate more. I don't know how I'm gonna bring myself to cheer for this guy. I have a feeling if I see someone go yard on him with the bases loaded my first reaction will be "good".

Damn.

Beer will aid in the transition my friend. There was no player in the NFL that I hated more than Kurt Warner, and now I love the man. El Duque isnt at the top of my list either, but when he puts on the uniform I will have a couple beers and cheer for him. I'm excited about getting Young and getting rid of Vasquez though. :thumbup:

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Who said this was a "win-now" scenario? This team has needed to rebuild for about three years now and only now has begun to try and dump the long-term salaries of overpaid vets. Sure we're getting back guy like El Duque and are interested in vets such as Kenny Lofton, but those guys are going to contribute to the present as well as not strain us financially for many years.

Ok when i said "win-now" scenario i ment this is a "win-now" league. Now we have the moneyball approach and we have the smart GM's that can build a winning team around young talented players and seasoned veterans. I beleive we can do that. My point was that i agree with the approach of getting guys that dont financially strain the club. I was just saying i dont feelthat we can hang everything on the balance of prospects, thats all, nothing more.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Espo said:
I just heard on ESPN radio's national update that the Diamondbacks are including cash in the deal. I though the dbacks refused to include cash in the deal.

It would probably be re-directing some of the money the Yanks gave us for Vasquez. Still a good deal though. :thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We got 1 player that will definatly help now, one who will maybe help now, and one who could help in the future. All for a guy we were going to lose anyway. That's always a no-win trade. I think we got value for having such a poor position to bargain from. I can't blame our GM on this trade. I have to give him a thumbs up on it! :thumbup:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The White Sox have the best rotation in all of MLB now :eek:

Mark Buehrle
Jose Contreras
Freddy Garcia
Jon Garland
Javier Vasquez

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
If Young is all they hype him to be then this is a good deal...El Duque is nothing more than a spot in the rotation for next year (although i think he could play well) and Viscaino is a solid bullpen arm....

All in all it was a good deal in that we filled needs for the roster and got back a promising player in a position of need...

Two points though:

It was a widely stated fact that we could have gotten more had we been more amicable about the money....that bothers me and they better spend that money in other laces and not just put it in their pocket. Either pay a portion of Vasquez's salary and get back a couple more top prospects or spend it in FA.....

Young had one good year so far so that worries me. He is 22 however. I have to be honest though. I envisoned Upton in CF as i feel many in the front office do. Does this mean they are going to lay hardball with him now that they have the position filled. Where else do you think he will play? 2nd? SS?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Does anyone really know how old Orlando Hernandez is? I thought I remember hearing that he was 38 a few years ago.

cardsfan22

Rookie
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Does anyone really know how old Orlando Hernandez is? I thought I remember hearing that he was 38 a few years ago.

AZcentral is saying he could be anywhere from 36 to 40

I like the deal It will be interesting to see if this will start that domino effect everyone has been saying. I have to give Byrnes a pat on the back for this one

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:

Nobody knows. Carbon date him.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
nm132 said:
You must be registered for see images
Wow he lists reading as a hobby. I'm impressed. Most 25 year olds i know wouldn't list that as a hobby.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
I think this is a good deal. Not excited about El Duque, but 2007 and beyond, we look loaded!

Exactly, here is a potential lineup. Maybe in '07?

C, Montero
1B, Jackson
2B, Drew
SS, Upton
3B, Santos
RF, Quentin
CF, Young
LF, Gonzales

If El Duckie has a good first half of the season he will be traded to a contender looking to shore up pitching and that should bring in more talent for the Dbacks.

Also, if they move Glaus or Gonzo then they should have a lot of cap space to get top pitcher. 2006 will be like 2005, but after that the future is looking good.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
"Under the terms of the still-to-be-announced trade, the White Sox will receive $5 million of the $24 million Javier Vazquez is owed over the next two seasons.
The Yankees paid Arizona$9 million of what was remaining on Vazquez's contract during the trade a year ago. The Diamondbacks planned to hold on to all of that money, but for the kind of package the White Sox were offering, they decided it was worth kicking in some cash. The White Sox will actually control Vazquez beyond 2007. When he invoked the trade demand, Vazquez made himself ineligible for free agency for three years. Of course, the White Sox might not want to go to arbitration with him after 2007 and could non-tender him."

Four million is a nice amount, plus the 10 million we got for Green. A good chunk of cash right there.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So I assume we have an interest in either Weaver or Washburn or Millwood because El Duque had a worse year statistically than Vazquez, what is he going to make this year? To me our rotation got worse, all I can say is we better get some talent for Glaus or keep him. We can't get a deal like this for Glaus. Hernandez will not generate interest next year because he is going to have a bad year at Chase Field.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
IMO, Byrnes did a great job on this trade. Yeah, El Duque isn't that good but we needed another starter in the Javy deal and got a decent one. Vizcaino provides immediate help in the bullpen and makes us quickly forget about Cormier's departure. Chris Young is obviously the big catch in this trade. He should be ready by '07 and we're going to sign a veteran CF for next year anyway. I think Young could be a great player for us years to come coupled with the middle of our infield (Drew and Upton).

I'm having trouble trying to figure why people don't like this trade. First of all, Javy IS NOT THAT GOOD. There is no way we could have gotten another one of Chicagos SP's besides El Duque cause Javy's not better than any of them. Sure, he has a rubber arm and can be good at times but he is nowhere near a #1 pitcher (and he's paid like it). He gives up home runs laft and right and he's going to a band-box park, Cellular Field, where the most home runs were hit the last 2 years. He established his career in Montreal and has been crap ever since. I'm extremely happy that he's gone and I think we got help where we need it. Good job Byrnes :thumbup: ! Hopefully Glaus is up next...... Then we can turn our attention to pitching and could be real scary in a couple of years

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison