USC/UCLA leaving Pac12 for Big10?

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think you are probably right about Stanford and Cal, even though the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose region is quite indifferent to college football. I lived in the Bay Area for a long time, and people in Seattle, for example, seem to care much more about the sport. And UW alumni tend to be engaged and supportive, compared to, say, ASU alumni. Ratings, media coverage, and just overall discussion, are quite low in the Bay Area for major college sports. But the region does have a lot of B1G graduates also, and there are certainly the market size and academic prestige factors that would be in play. I could see Stanford joining the B1G (with Notre Dame) and Cal being left behind, too.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think you are probably right about Stanford and Cal, even though the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose region is quite indifferent to college football. I lived in the Bay Area for a long time, and people in Seattle, for example, seem to care much more about the sport. And UW alumni tend to be engaged and supportive, compared to, say, ASU alumni. Ratings, media coverage, and just overall discussion, are quite low in the Bay Area for major college sports. But the region does have a lot of B1G graduates also, and there are certainly the market size and academic prestige factors that would be in play. I could see Stanford joining the B1G (with Notre Dame) and Cal being left behind, too.
Despite the perceived indifference Stanford always gets about the same if not better TV ratings than the AZ schools in football. And they add the academics that the school presidents love as you mentioned. Would be an instant add over us.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite the perceived indifference Stanford always gets about the same if not better TV ratings than the AZ schools in football. And they add the academics that the school presidents love as you mentioned. Would be an instant add over us.
Stanford has the stature of having a yearly game against Notre Dame. Notre Dame is big money.

The fact is, ASU football is barely thought of nationally. They go entire seasons without one prime time national telecast on the big networks. That's the truth even if we don't want to hear it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I don't understand why SDS didn't wait for the PAC 12 TV deal. MWC declared them out and they had to pay a 17 million dollar exit few. If it got to 11pm PT today they had to pay 34 million which they admitted they can't pay.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Terrible optics all around. With all the ESPN cost cutting and layoffs in the news, the network would appear to be an unlikely (linear) savior. I wonder how bad the Pac-12 media deal will be.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With ESPN planning to go all streaming in a few
years, the PAC needs to just make the jump to Apple and maybe negotiate some sharing with the CW or something.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just listened to Ross Dellinger theorize on the SDSU/PAC/TV deal:

The framework of a deal was presented to the member schools and the response was that it is a decent/good deal but the takeaway from it is wondering whether expansion is really a wise move for the league.

Ross thinks that the $$$ is such that the member schools are hesitant to split the $$$ money 12 ways vs 10 ways.

Last edited:

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
I just listened to Ross Dellinger theorize on the SDSU/PAC/TV deal:

The framework of a deal was presented to the member schools and the response was that it is a decent/good deal but the takeaway from it is wondering whether expansion is really a wise move for the league.

Ross thinks that the $$$ is such that the member schools are hesitant to split the $$$ money 12 ways vs 10 ways.
If this is true than the schools are actively preparing for the death of the PAC. I can understand Oregon, Washington and Stanford trying to wait for B1G offers, but I don't see how the other schools could possibly agree with this assessment.

Something tells me the schools with B1G aspirations are trying to force the 4 corner schools to "kill" the conference.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this is true than the schools are actively preparing for the death of the PAC. I can understand Oregon, Washington and Stanford trying to wait for B1G offers, but I don't see how the other schools could possibly agree with this assessment.

Something tells me the schools with B1G aspirations are trying to force the 4 corner schools to "kill" the conference.
The PAC has been the walking dead since the B1G cut its heart out by taking both LA schools. You can't be a major conference based on the west coast without a presence in LA. Had the B1G taken USC and Stanford, it would've been salvageable IMO. I think it will stumble along for a few years before everyone realizes it's been dead.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The PAC has been the walking dead since the B1G cut its heart out by taking both LA schools. You can't be a major conference based on the west coast without a presence in LA. Had the B1G taken USC and Stanford, it would've been salvageable IMO. I think it will stumble along for a few years before everyone realizes it's been dead.
It's not salvageable as major conference. That's just harsh reality. They can maybe pick up two schools and pretend they are not done. But they are done.

Again, I see some painful things coming. Like au and ASU splitting up for starters.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how long of a ”grant of rights” period UO and UW sign up for.

I’m pretty pessimistic about the Pac-12, overall.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And delivered with a straight face, presumably.

What do you want him to say? Not defending him per se because I think we all feel like the conference is totally FUBAR. Dude is still trying to negotiate aTV deal.

What really needs to happen is for the TV deal to be finalized and that will either hasten the implosion or calm the waters for awhile. $50 million per team is probably the magic number. According to what I’ve read, that would be right around what the Big12 programs will be getting annually. Anything below that and the clock is ticking

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with a little Orwellian Doublespeak?

:shrug:

It sounds like something is happening soon or not. I hope I did that right.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looking a little more closely at Kliavkoff’s assertion, it appears that he said that recruiting has never been stronger, despite all the speculation about the conference’s future. Maybe that is true, maybe not, but it gives him a little more wiggle room. Particularly since he can include USC. ;) I do think the headline was a little misleading.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per commissioner George Kliavkoff, the expectation is the 10 remaining Pac-12 schools will remain with the conference.

See link below.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The AZ schools gotta let go of nostalgia and bounce the hell out of this crumbling conference.
I agree however it is probably in their best interest for the PAC to carry on and for them to stay with the PAC.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson