USA Today: Rosen’s Debut Quietly One Of The Greatest in NFL history

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The drops can be attributed to Rosen being different enough from Bradford that it's throwing them off a game or two.

Every QB is different, some more than others and it even varys by situation, so if they normally got a laser beam and they're getting a bit of a touch pass or vice versa then they can drop it.

Not saying it wasn't totally the WR don't know but it's likely given it's his first real start I'd say.

Very fair point.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
You are talking about Bradford historically. But this year he’s close to worse ever. And who cares about what he did before this year? Players decline for many reasons. They also sometimes (rarely) resurrect their careers. Looks like Bradford’s done. Doesn’t increase McCoy’s value though. Despite Rosen’s success the offense is still unimaginative.
Well, the point being made was that he has "never" done it.

Which is...well, the point. It's completely fair and understandable to be disappointed and frustrated by what he did as a Cardinal but I don't see why that has to be taken to such extremes to include his whole career? I really don't understand why a Cardinal fan would be so apparently vested in that career considering it had little to do with the Cardinals.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The drops can be attributed to Rosen being different enough from Bradford that it's throwing them off a game or two.

Every QB is different, some more than others and it even varys by situation, so if they normally got a laser beam and they're getting a bit of a touch pass or vice versa then they can drop it.

Not saying it wasn't totally the WR don't know but it's likely given it's his first real start I'd say.

That’s a good point. They’re not used to catching accurate passes.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
However, as far as the way he carries himself, Rosen reminds me of Rodgers. This casual cockiness. It isn't arrogance, but it is close. Willing to throw it into tight spots because... hey, he can and he know it, and when it works, he just kinda nods. At the same time, when something bad happens, he doesn't get emotional because... hey, he'll get em next time.

IIRC, pre and post draft there were a lot of comparisons with Aaron Rodgers. High IQ, outspoken, confident/cocky but in a good-natured way.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
IIRC, pre and post draft there were a lot of comparisons with Aaron Rodgers. High IQ, outspoken, confident/cocky but in a good-natured way.

And Rodgers had to sit behind Favre for a couple of years and it bothered him. I hope that Rosen continues to study and learn from Rodgers

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That just isn't true. There are plenty of examples of Bradford standing in the pocket, waiting til the last second to deliver a perfectly timed and accurate pass. What is it about Bradford that has you so full of vitriol after 3 games? Bradford isn't the greatest QB ever but he isn't the worst either. Such teeth gnashing over someone who presumably hasn't had much impact on your football viewing life.

In all fairness, he hasn't had much of an impact for any team he's ever played for either.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
In all fairness, he hasn't had much of an impact for any team he's ever played for either.
He's an underachiever to be sure. With the talent he's got, he should produce a lot more when he's on the field. I don't know if being conservative got ingrained in him when he was with the Rams but the dude was prolific at Oklahoma so I'm inclined to think that playing every game on the razor's edge and not being able to make ANY mistakes or your team was going to lose adversely affected him.

Steve Spagnuolo, Jeff Fisher, (lame duck) Chip Kelly, Mike Zimmer, Steve Wilks...not necessarily a list conducive to prolific passing and being aggressive on offense. Kelly would be the possible exception but look at what's happened to him as a coach.

But overall, Bradford plays like he's afraid to make mistakes and you can't reach that next level playing that way. For a variety of reasons he just doesn't take all the risks a top QB has to sometimes take. I really thought his 2nd year in Minnesota was going to set him free but his brittle body got in the way yet again. But even I have to admit, as good as that game against the Saints was, a) the Saints aren't exactly stout on defense and b) 350+ and 3 TD isn't really anything to write home about in today's game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That just isn't true. There are plenty of examples of Bradford standing in the pocket, waiting til the last second to deliver a perfectly timed and accurate pass.

I've watched Bradford be mediocre for EONS. And I've maintained on the board for years that I've thought the same. I saw it when he played us multiple times a year, and saw it almost every Sunday out of the corner of my eyes watching one of our good friends hang his head in shame at every check-down, every 3 yard pass on 3rd and 4 that he would ever make. Then, I got to watch another very good friend boast about how great he was going to be for the Eagles... only to hang his head in shame for the exact same reasons.

Then, I remember his "hot" start in Minnesota... where he had his "best" year where he put up a measly 20 TDs and 5 INT. That was his BEST season. And even in that season, he and the team completely fell apart in the second half of the season and end up losing like 6 of their last 8.

What is it about Bradford that has you so full of vitriol after 3 games? Bradford isn't the greatest QB ever but he isn't the worst either.

Vitriol? Sigh. This is my problem. It's really not with Sam. He is what he is... at best an average QB. My issue is really with people like you and @cardncubfan who take criticism to one of their favorite players PERSONALLY for some reason. You're bolded sentence is perfect evidence of this... you distort my point because I think it's so difficult to make your own.

I NEVER said Bradford was the worst QB. I have consistently said he's a mediocre at best QB. Period. And that's what he's been his entire career.

Such teeth gnashing over someone who presumably hasn't had much impact on your football viewing life.

And again... I've had to sit next to friends bitching and moaning about Bradford's at best mediocre play FOREVER which was annoying enough, and after having watched his play and their misery, I KNEW we were going to get the same thing this year if not worse. Part of my attitude towards him though should be directed more at Keim in the future. He's the one who signed a broken-down mediocre QB at best to a cap eating contract that didn't let this team add any significant talent almost anywhere else.

And before you say we HAD to sign the most broken down QB in the league to the biggest contract anyone in his right mind would sign him to... Teddy Bridgewater, Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick were all available and could have easily been the band-aid that Bradford was supposed to be.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I've watched Bradford be mediocre for EONS.
Okay, but that isn't the same thing as saying that he's never..."never" in his career stood in the pocket and delivered a pass at the last possible moment.
Then, I got to watch another very good friend boast about how great he was going to be for the Eagles... only to hang his head in shame for the exact same reasons.

Then, I remember his "hot" start in Minnesota... where he had his "best" year where he put up a measly 20 TDs and 5 INT. That was his BEST season. And even in that season, he and the team completely fell apart in the second half of the season and end up losing like 6 of their last 8.
I'd certainly be curious to see how you viewed the circumstances of those two years and a reasonable expectation for a QB in them. Would you say that Chip Kelly had been figured out by the league at that point? Was Demarco Murray a good fit for that offense? Did they have a reasonable or better WR corps? Does getting traded to the team during the season have any bearing on a QB? Does losing your starting RB count for anything?

20/5 isn't "great" but why write it off as nothing? Do you think that the coaches were asking him to do more and he wasn't? Would you consider it possible considering his various coaches over the years that Bradford's job has been to protect the ball first and everything else is secondary?
you distort my point because I think it's so difficult to make your own.

I NEVER said Bradford was the worst QB. I have consistently said he's a mediocre at best QB. Period. And that's what he's been his entire career.
C'mon, now. You haven't offered your opinion as a non-biased, objective observer in all of this. You haven't simply stated that you think he's mediocre. That he has limitations but also at least protects the ball well or whatever. But disagreeing with you isn't taking criticism of Bradford personally. I'm just not a fan of hyperbole and exaggeration stated as fact.
And before you say we HAD to sign the most broken down QB in the league to the biggest contract anyone in his right mind would sign him to... Teddy Bridgewater, Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick were all available and could have easily been the band-aid that Bradford was supposed to be.
I never said the Cardinals had to sign him but I don't think $15M is the outrageous number that some people seem to. And, at the time they signed him he was plan A and not a bridge so I don't really agree with your point of view. Bradford was a health risk but still a viable starter that a team could at least buy into as not giving up before even starting. After the draft, Bradford was expendable and had one foot out the door regardless of how he played.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He's an underachiever to be sure. With the talent he's got, he should produce a lot more when he's on the field. I don't know if being conservative got ingrained in him when he was with the Rams but the dude was prolific at Oklahoma so I'm inclined to think that playing every game on the razor's edge and not being able to make ANY mistakes or your team was going to lose adversely affected him.

Steve Spagnuolo, Jeff Fisher, (lame duck) Chip Kelly, Mike Zimmer, Steve Wilks...not necessarily a list conducive to prolific passing and being aggressive on offense. Kelly would be the possible exception but look at what's happened to him as a coach.

But overall, Bradford plays like he's afraid to make mistakes and you can't reach that next level playing that way. For a variety of reasons he just doesn't take all the risks a top QB has to sometimes take. I really thought his 2nd year in Minnesota was going to set him free but his brittle body got in the way yet again. But even I have to admit, as good as that game against the Saints was, a) the Saints aren't exactly stout on defense and b) 350+ and 3 TD isn't really anything to write home about in today's game.

dude was nails as a rookie... but then he got hurt...and it seemed that each injury caused him to become more and more conservative... like maybe someone kept telling him he just needed to get rid of the ball faster

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
dude was nails as a rookie... but then he got hurt...and it seemed that each injury caused him to become more and more conservative... like maybe someone kept telling him he just needed to get rid of the ball faster
I've always thought it was a trust factor with him. When he's unfamiliar with his receivers he's a lot more conservative and waits for guys to get open. On the couple of occassions he's been in the same system with the same players a second year, he's loosened up. I'm sure worrying about his knees doesn't help and that he probably doesn't trust them.

thightower34

Rookie
Reaction score
The throws Rosen made were quite impressive and, for the first time all season, I’m excited about this team and watching Josh develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vitriol? Sigh. This is my problem. It's really not with Sam. He is what he is... at best an average QB. My issue is really with people like you and @cardncubfan who take criticism to one of their favorite players PERSONALLY for some reason. You're bolded sentence is perfect evidence of this... you distort my point because I think it's so difficult to make your own.

Lol, talk about people distorting your point. When did I ever say Bradford was one of my favorite players? When did I take it personally? Go ahead, I'll wait. Pot meet kettle. A lot of assuming going on.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
Gotta say I agree with USA Today after watching that game.... but who is this Bradford character some people get bickering about ?

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
On a positive, Rosen looked great today behind a hideous o line, no receivers an a buffoon for an offensive coordinator. He’d like to have that interception throw back but other than that, he threaded the needle while being chased down on every play. Hard to believe he is only 21. Fire McCoy

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I'm kinda sick of seeing him get thrown to the ground. It would be nice if 1) our guys can block, and 2) if they can coordinate so a 3 step drop blocking scheme isn't used on 5 and 7 step drops. Humphries was guiding pass rushers right to him on his outside shoulder today. Not sure if he was just getting physically beat or the scheme is just a mess.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I'm kinda sick of seeing him get thrown to the ground. It would be nice if 1) our guys can block, and 2) if they can coordinate so a 3 step drop blocking scheme isn't used on 5 and 7 step drops. Humphries was guiding pass rushers right to him on his outside shoulder today. Not sure if he was just getting physically beat or the scheme is just a mess.

Happy to give you your 500th like. Yes, it infuriates me to see Rosen get throw to the ground because the line can’t block. Has McCoy thought about giving Humphries some help? He’s an on island