Update on Tony Jefferson: Couldn't recall game

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tony Jefferson Deals With Concussion

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11792414/tony-jefferson-arizona-cardinals-remember-game-concussion

Would be a little scary to be driving down the road and not remember the previous 4-5 hours. Hope he recovers fully!

When I was delivering bread, I used to have to drive from Pleasentville, NJ to the Toms River area meaning I used to drive the Garden State Parkway. There were times when I would reach one toll and not have another memory until I hit the next toll. I mean, I would zone out and drive on auto pilot.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
When I was delivering bread, I used to have to drive from Pleasentville, NJ to the Toms River area meaning I used to drive the Garden State Parkway. There were times when I would reach one toll and not have another memory until I hit the next toll. I mean, I would zone out and drive on auto pilot.

Yeah but it wasn't because you got smashed in the head that you forgot. This wasn't a casual drive to work, this was a heart pumping, adrenaline pumping NFL game. And he cant' remember it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
As much as I would want a PP and a Tony Jefferson playing -- I find it a bit disturbing that one week after being knocked cold or having no memory of a game -- the guys are going to be playing. And that's after a neurologist examined them.

I also found it interesting that Maclin played the second half -- he looked out just like Peterson and was glassy eyed when they took him back to the locker room.

It's one thing to be playing with a partially torn tendon in your foot (Ellington) or a torn pec muscle (Minter) -- those things can heal completely after the season. but does a brain heal in 7 days from a blackout / memory loss concussion?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This kind of stuff can't be news to you guys can it. Welcome to the wonderful world of professional football. It's insanely brutal.

As someone who boxed all through out my youth you never remember the punch that knocks you out. I've seen guys not remember rounds not even remember fights. Every guy is different every knockout it different.

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
I see him almost everyday...And he's doing great...I get to see a lot of athletes everyday at work...and he even told me he doesn't remember the game...Him and Bethal are pretty cool young adults...That treat people with respect...Tony Jefferson is a class act for being a young athlete...

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This kind of stuff can't be news to you guys can it. Welcome to the wonderful world of professional football. It's insanely brutal.

As someone who boxed all through out my youth you never remember the punch that knocks you out. I've seen guys not remember rounds not even remember fights. Every guy is different every knockout it different.

+1

I have a handful of games where something like what Mr. Jefferson is talking about happened. I don't have a number but I know that I couldn't remember the rugby match, and/or football game.

This was back in the day of "getting your bell rung" and "rub some dirt on it".

Is what it is. Yes, I worry about what the future might hold mentally for me, but as of right now I am fine. I would never regret the great times I had playing both sports.

That all being said, I am all for the new protocols, and I feel Jefferson should sit out a little bit and give it a rest till he is ready.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing that scares me the most and needs to be addressed is that no one knew Tony was concussed. I get that there is a ton going on during the game and if the hit that caused the concussion wasn't an obvious violent hit that it might go unnoticed. How no one notice in the locker room after the game is what concerns me the most. Tony must have some fantastic autopilot working for him.

Did none of his teammates interact with him after the game?

Simple test is to have the player close his eyes for ~ ten seconds and then open them, it their pupils don't dilate they are concussed. Should the trainers and medical staff do a quick check off all players after the game?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The thing that scares me the most and needs to be addressed is that no one knew Tony was concussed. I get that there is a ton going on during the game and if the hit that caused the concussion wasn't an obvious violent hit that it might go unnoticed. How no one notice in the locker room after the game is what concerns me the most. Tony must have some fantastic autopilot working for him.

Did none of his teammates interact with him after the game?

Simple test is to have the player close his eyes for ~ ten seconds and then open them, it their pupils don't dilate they are concussed. Should the trainers and medical staff do a quick check off all players after the game?

I had the same problem playing rugby. Played two rugby games where I was completely concussed and no one had any idea. After the second time and everyone knew what was going on, we had a special person in charge to make sure I was 100% with it if something high impact happened.

Scared me too, was more than happy to be asked if I was OK during a game since I knew that I could go on "auto-pilot" as Jefferson puts it.

One of the last rugby games I played, I "woke up" under a tree getting asked where I was. Thank goodness for Tall Kenny looking out for me. Whenever I see him I buy him a beer.

So, I completely understand Jefferson's deal. I have NO idea why some people can keep going after getting dinged.

That being said, I think you have a good idea with a medical guy checking everyone out after a game. I would not hurt, and it is just a good idea. We did not have that type of medical support playing rugby, obviously.

Last edited:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I have heard talk about having sensors in the helmet or something similar. With all that is going on in a football game, you can't always depend on people to notice something may have happened. It's too easy for a situation like Jefferson's to slip through the cracks and go unnoticed. There's no accountability there either.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have heard talk about having sensors in the helmet or something similar. With all that is going on in a football game, you can't always depend on people to notice something may have happened. It's too easy for a situation like Jefferson's to slip through the cracks and go unnoticed. There's no accountability there either.

My ex worked for the sensor company (brain sentry). They don't work. It's a great idea but the technology still has a ways to go.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
+1

I have a handful of games where something like what Mr. Jefferson is talking about happened. I don't have a number but I know that I couldn't remember the rugby match, and/or football game.

This was back in the day of "getting your bell rung" and "rub some dirt on it".

Is what it is. Yes, I worry about what the future might hold mentally for me, but as of right now I am fine. I would never regret the great times I had playing both sports.

That all being said, I am all for the new protocols, and I feel Jefferson should sit out a little bit and give it a rest till he is ready.

I was only concussed once, I was about 14 years old. I only share this story with friends because it is rather embarrassing. It was Thanksgiving and my Grandparents flew out for PA to visit us in St. Louis for the holiday. We had a fireplace but no wood so my younger brother and I decided we would go out and chop down a tree to get needed firewood.

We found an old dead tree about 300 yards from the house and I proceeded to start chopping away. We lived in a lake community and the tree was about 30 feet from the lake and it was located on a fairly steep slope. I had to chop on the upside hill of the tree so it would fall up the hill and not down towards the lake where it could roll down the slope into the water. I considered myself rather clever for deducing this.

The tree was about 4 ' in diameter and had one single branch about 10 ' up and 1 ' in diameter. It took me quite awhile of chopping to get close to bringing the tree down but I was making good progress. The last couple of chops and I'm now realizing that I will have to chop this friggin tree up even more to get logs for the fireplace but it's too late to turn back now.

So last swing of the axe and the tree starts to move, but it's weird because instead of simply falling over like EVERY other tree in the history of mankind has done when chopped down it spins on the trunk and then lands standing straight up and down on the lake side of the newly created stump. Now it gets even weirder as the tree falls up hill flipping over the stump. All that's amazing enough but when the tree spun on the stump it lined the sole branch on the tree with my head which it proceeded to pummel.

I wake up about 15 minutes later, maybe less, but my brother is freaked out and couldn't gauge the time well. I started asking questions about what happened and then are Pop & Gmom in town. As you can tell by my story I did end up remembering the event fully but I do know the feeling of not having full recall, at least initially.

If factor back man, can't recall his name, can be a commentator on ESPN with his incredible concussion history then you and I will be fine.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
They need to go back to these...

You must be registered for see images

Texas A&M is actually going to reveal some modern helmets painted to look like old school leather helmets and they look pretty cool... and you know they must look cool if this Texas EX likes the style lol

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Memory is overrated. Studies have shown that our memory is so flawed to begin with that I don't even see why it matters.

Emotions, maybe--hell, even being able to recall a smell is more reliable.

We put too much value in what we think we remember. I don't even remember what I had for lunch on October 2nd. I don't even remember what day of the week it was.

I'm being facetious of course, but most of us don't remember crap unless it's associated with an emotion or another sense.

I want the dude to play. Whether he suffers damage or not I don't think anyone knows. Half these professionals claiming one way or another are the same tools telling me I need 8 glasses of milk a day. I don't know anyone in their right mind doing that ****.

I've only been around 45 years but one thing I do know is that most people are full of crap.

Last edited:

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Memory is overrated. Studies have shown that our memory is so flawed to begin with that I don't even see why it matters.

Emotions, maybe--hell, even being able to recall a smell is more reliable.

We put too much value in what we think we remember. I don't even ]remember what I had for lunch on October 2nd. I don't even remember what day of the week it was.

I'm being facetious of course, but most of us don't remember crap unless it's associated with an emotion or another sense.

I want the dude to play. Whether he suffers damage or not I don't think anyone knows. Half these professionals claiming one way or another are the same tools telling me I need 8 glasses of milk a day. I don't know anyone in their right mind doing that ****.

I've only been around 45 years but one thing I do know is that most people are full of crap.

That's because our lives are actually a computer simulation being run by future generations...maybe. :shrug:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson