Update: David Johnson sits out, wants contract extension

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kid's a stud. You forget how effortless he makes it look out there.

Man... if this COULD be the rare year that injuries don't destroy the O-line and Mr. Glass doesn't go down the first time anyone breathes on him, this team might be able to ground and pound their way to some solid Ws with Bradford just having to be an efficient dink and dunker. That would be great. Not likely... or the most exciting team, but maybe one that could put us at least in the race for the Wild-card.

But... probably not. That said, it's August and dreaming's free so I think that's what I'll do before Bradford tears his ACL in pre-game 1 warm-ups!

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Man... if this COULD be the rare year that injuries don't destroy the O-line and Mr. Glass doesn't go down the first time anyone breathes on him, this team might be able to ground and pound their way to some solid Ws with Bradford just having to be an efficient dink and dunker. That would be great. Not likely... or the most exciting team, but maybe one that could put us at least in the race for the Wild-card.

But... probably not. That said, it's August and dreaming's free so I think that's what I'll do before Bradford tears his ACL in pre-game 1 warm-ups!

The Seahawks of the early 2010s does seem to be the blueprint. Can you do it without a QB who can pick up yards with his feet?

The 8 yards in front of the LOS is gonna be MIGHTY crowded.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Seahawks of the early 2010s does seem to be the blueprint. Can you do it without a QB who can pick up yards with his feet?

No way in hell.

I feel like if we're gonna win games, it's gonna be more like the Hawks of 2004-7, with Hasselbeck and Alexander in the backfield and a decent defense.

But that was with a great offensive mind and already Super Bowl winning HC calling the shots. That's a tall order to duplicate for a first year coach.

understatement.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Sam doesn't need to run. He needs to be perfect with play action. If the 8 yards in front of LOS is crowded, then medium routes should be wide open.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

'Maybe' is feeling really great right about now :)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No way in hell.

I feel like if we're gonna win games, it's gonna be more like the Hawks of 2004-7, with Hasselbeck and Alexander in the backfield and a decent defense.

But that was with a great offensive mind and already Super Bowl winning HC calling the shots. That's a tall order to duplicate for a first year coach.

understatement.

Hasselback averaged 7.7 YPA when he lead the Seahawks to a 13-3 record and the Super Bowl. He wasn’t sinking and dunking.

Sam doesn't need to run. He needs to be perfect with play action. If the 8 yards in front of LOS is crowded, then medium routes should be wide open.

Very little evidence that Bradford has the appetite for those throws. More problematically, I don’t see a receiver aside from Fitz who can reliably fight through that traffic.

The problem is what happens on the inevitable 3rd and 6? Ground-based offenses have to be able to stay on or ahead of the chains.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
I know Johnson is great, or at least the pre-injury version of him was...It's utterly ballsy to hold the team hostage after an injury lost season, last year. jmho.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score

He won ROY throwing short, high percentage passes in the first year. IF your Oline can give him enough time, he might be able to do what you ask. In game situations, he has a tendency to drill the ball in to his WR's/TE's, and they better be ready for that. He must have at least two seconds, or he will cough up the ball and be in danger of injury after a while. All QB's don't like pressure, and Sam is no different.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The franchise tag only exists because NFL rosters are so large that the players union is not willing to fight for only one guy getting completely screwed per team but it's short sighted. That franchise tag screws over every other high tiered player at the same position by artificially creating a wage cap.

If I'm the players union I would make the ending the franchise tag my #1 target in the next labor deal.

That said...

Running back performance is so inconsistent and their primes so brief that I don't blame any team for being weary of committing long term to an RB. There are, maybe, a few guys in a generation that are worthy of long term commitments. I looooooove David Johnson, but he is 26, will be 27 before the season is over and has had one great season. Throwing him a contract that pays him like one of the game's greats just does not make sense.

Wait a year, if he puts forth another MVP type season then he will get a fortune.

I can see both sides here, if Johnson gets hurt again then he will have made beans and sacrificed his body for an NFL career, that would suck for him, on the same note, if he gets hurt again and the Cards just paid him like a top 3 RB... then they're screwed.

IMO, a fair deal would be something like 3 years, 27 million, 10 mil guaranteed. Sets him up well either way, also sets him up for another big contract if he is still burning at the end of the deal.

Last edited:

Rams1Fan

Rookie
Reaction score
Bradfords career with the Rams should tell you to sign DJ. Bad idea not providing a young QB with few to no weapons.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...able-running-back-ezekiel-elliott-leveon-bell

NFL's most valuable running back

Steve Wyche: David Johnson can cover up most of Arizona's offensive weaknesses

David Johnson is still one of the best backs in the league despite sitting out nearly the entire 2017 season. He's most definitely the most valuable. He can really lift up a less-talented offense and cover up weaknesses. Earlier this offseason, Johnson said he feels stronger than ever and is aiming to become the third player to earn at least 1,000 yards rushing and receiving in the same campaign. I think he can do it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hasselback averaged 7.7 YPA when he lead the Seahawks to a 13-3 record and the Super Bowl. He wasn’t sinking and dunking.

Very little evidence that Bradford has the appetite for those throws. More problematically, I don’t see a receiver aside from Fitz who can reliably fight through that traffic.

The problem is what happens on the inevitable 3rd and 6? Ground-based offenses have to be able to stay on or ahead of the chains.

I'm actually not sweating 3rd and 6 if the offensive line can pass block. We have enough athletes to use outside of just our WRs.

DJ
Chase Edmunds
RSJ

All have the ability to get open with time. That along with Fitzgerald makes me comfortable with third and medium.

Now, I have no idea what to do if we have to score quickly, because I don't see many big play options in our passing game at the moment.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I'm actually not sweating 3rd and 6 if the offensive line can pass block. We have enough athletes to use outside of just our WRs.

DJ
Chase Edmunds
RSJ

All have the ability to get open with time. That along with Fitzgerald makes me comfortable with third and medium.

Now, I have no idea what to do if we have to score quickly, because I don't see many big play options in our passing game at the moment.

One could say we do have some speed to stretch the field but my question for big plays comes from the McCoy offense

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard