Undervaluing Leadership

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards were on the cusp of becoming a perennially competent team. Then they decided that the price of leadership was too high. So they dumped Larry Centers, Jamir Miller and Lomas Brown. They had just made the playoffs in 1998 and looked to all the world ready to challenge again in 1999. It’s true Lomas Brown had slowed a little. Centers had some wear on his tires and Miller could be a handful.

There was talent around these three but undirected talent rarely leads to success. These three were leaders by example and vision. To a man they believed the Cards could play with anybody. Once this trio was allowed to leave the team floundered despite still having quality players

This was not the last time the Cards would deflate the team by losing leaders. The list is sadly extensive. Names like Dansby, Boldin and Campbell quickly spring to mind. More than any other reason I believe undervaluing leadership has cost the Cards a chance to be a quality franchise.

It now seems the Cards have realized this deficiency. More than any other characteristic, this offseason the Cards focused on acquiring leaders. While the public focused on age the Cards focused on inspiration. Yes, it’s a gamble. The idea is that these older players can rise to the challenge and inspire the Cards to be a playoff team. False leaders, like Patrick Peterson were allowed to leave. Proven leaders were added.

Good leaders don’t guarantee success. People will point out these leaders didn’t come from universally successful teams. Quality personnel must be present. Clearly the first half of last season demonstrated the Cards have talent. However, once the grind of playoff pressure hit the team, no one was able to get them refocused on getting the job done.

So the Cards have gambled that these slightly damaged players can pull this team together and lead them to success. I like the gamble. These guys won’t panic. These guys can inspire. These guys may not be Pro Bowl players any longer, but they’ve been there. They’ve seen what it takes. They have been strategically added to offense, defense and even special teams. They won’t crack under pressure. That’s where diamonds are made.

Therefore I’m hopeful the Cards finally get it. They’ve identified the missing element. They’ve had the talent. Now they’ve added the will. They have as many special players as any team in the league. They can now get those players all pointed in the right direction. I believe at the least this is a playoff team. Depending on Murray’s and Kingsbury’s growth they may be more than just a participant. This should be a tense season, but fun!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They seem to have cottoned on this year at last.

You look back at the early BA teams and what they had were a tonne of leaders. In fact if you look at those rosters they weren't the most talented on paper at all. But they had drive and leadership in abundance.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Leadership also comes from the coaches. Some are very good leaders that the players respect while others are just tolerated by the players because they are a "coach". Leadership is a very complex subject. Unless you are actually in the locker room, you can only speculate who the leaders really are which includes both players and coaches.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
I like this post and agree with Harry. I will say however that at the two most important positions, head coach and QB, we have two men with questionable leadership abilities unfortunately.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Kliff has the leadership qualities as a HC. I can only comment on what I see on the sidelines and the media but he seem's to want to be liked too much. There are different ways to lead, but they all show some passion, and I wouldn't mind seeing him throw a clipboard or chew a player out now and again.

This was one of BA's best qualities and why he did well here. Players knew who was boss and they ran through walls for him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Kliff has the leadership qualities as a HC. I can only comment on what I see on the sidelines and the media but he seem's to want to be liked too much. There are different ways to lead, but they all show some passion, and I wouldn't mind seeing him throw a clipboard or chew a player out now and again.

This was one of BA's best qualities and why he did well here. Players knew who was boss and they ran through walls for him.
I'm convinced he doesn't have the leadership qualities of a HC.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not buying it. This team is gambling on older players not breaking down and bouncing back on the downside of their careers.
If these players don’t or can’t perform their “ leadership” won’t mean crap.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not buying it. This team is gambling on older players not breaking down and bouncing back on the downside of their careers.
If these players don’t or can’t perform their “ leadership” won’t mean crap.

None of them have to be pro bowlers. They just have to be better than who they replace.

Watt has be to be better than Blackson or Zach Allen. Not hard.

Green has to be better than Kirk, Isabella and Johnson.

Hudson has to be better than Mason Cole.

Butler has to be better than the shadow of P2

Alford has to be better than Kirkpatrick.

I'll be honest, I can't see any of them failing to achieve that low bar.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm convinced he doesn't have the leadership qualities of a HC.

What I see is coach Bro

Trying to hard to be friends with the players

No accountability

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
None of them have to be pro bowlers. They just have to be better than who they replace.

Watt has be to be better than Blackson or Zach Allen. Not hard.

Green has to be better than Kirk, Isabella and Johnson.

Hudson has to be better than Mason Cole.

Butler has to be better than the shadow of P2

Alford has to be better than Kirkpatrick.

I'll be honest, I can't see any of them failing to achieve that low bar.
I agree other than the fact that three of the five have significant injury history and they can’t outperform their counterparts if they’re not on the field.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If you cant depend on the head coach to provide guidance, your football team is lost
solid leadership from the top is necessary, but isnt sufficient

you need leadership within the ranks to make things work

in the military setting: a really good NCO group could make a company work with a mediocre commanding officer

but a really good officer had a very had time making a platoon work with a mediocre NCO group

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree other than the fact that three of the five have significant injury history and they can’t outperform their counterparts if they’re not on the field.

There's no legislating for injuries. Alford had no major injury history since coming here then had 2 different season ending injuries.

Hump spent more time on crutches until year 5 then has been fit 2 full seasons.

Justin Pugh missed a lot of time to injury but only 1 game the last 2 years.

Green and Watt both played 16 last year. Can't ask more than that. They might get injured this year, just like any player.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There's no legislating for injuries. Alford had no major injury history since coming here then had 2 different season ending injuries.

Hump spent more time on crutches until year 5 then has been fit 2 full seasons.

Justin Pugh missed a lot of time to injury but only 1 game the last 2 years.

Green and Watt both played 16 last year. Can't ask more than that. They might get injured this year, just like any player.
Except that green and watt both already got hurt. We don’t even know when watt will be back. And your comment about “just like any player” needs be modified to “just like any OLDER player” bc these aren’t 24 year olds.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except that green and watt both already got hurt. We don’t even know when watt will be back. And your comment about “just like any player” needs be modified to “just like any OLDER player” bc these aren’t 24 year olds.

Well no, just like any player. Pugh was early 20's when he missed a bunch of time with him back. Hump was early 20's and missed a bunch of time with his lower legs. It can happen to anyone.

Yes, it's slightly more likely with older players due to wear and tear but not significantly so. There are plenty of older players who rarely miss time. The league is full of older O linemen that are solid.

Watt missed more time when he was 27 and 28 then he did at 30 and 31. Even Green is over rated from an injury perspective. He missed the whole of 2019 and 7 games in 2018. Otherwise he's played 90%+ of his career games.