Ultimate Popcorn Flick Kumite - Voir Dire

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't really need to revisit my definition of a popcorn movie. I think that's the problem here--everyone has a different definition. To me, it's just a fun, brainless movie you can chomp popcorn to.

I agree with that. A popcorn movie is a movie that you can just turn your brain off and enjoy. The Usual Suspects, for example, is a movie that demands constant thinking and analyzing. And a popcorn movie can be good or bad. The Avengers vs. Transformers 2, for example. Both are popcorn movies, but one is good, the other horrible.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flaw is he changed "Man's movie" to popcorn flick. I still believe it is a man's movie showdown. Which is why 4 guys in Vegas looking for strippers, drugs, their memory, and their dignity makes my list.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I think some people need to revisit their definition of popcorn movies, because there are several there that are nothing close to being a popcorn movie.

That is the beauty of the competition. Movies which do not fit the mold will fall.

This is in no way meant to be a comprehensive list of the best movies, of one sort or another, of all time.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
The flaw is he changed "Man's movie" to popcorn flick. I still believe it is a man's movie showdown. Which is why 4 guys in Vegas looking for strippers, drugs, their memory, and their dignity makes my list.

Perhaps, but this isn't a boy's club here. I had to open up the parameters to be more inclusive. And I feel I gave ample time for everyone who chose to be involved ample time to make their choices to modify the list to conform to a different ideal.

However, this is meant to be fun. I will not be a taskmaster, just a moderator (of sorts).

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Okay, so it IS about cheesy but fun movies? Ugh. I went with my veto and exchange according to the really good definition of popcorn movies. We should probably just go with good movies, because there is no consensus of what popcorn movies are.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Okay, so it IS about cheesy but fun movies? Ugh. I went with my veto and exchange according to the really good definition of popcorn movies. We should probably just go with good movies, because there is no consensus of what popcorn movies are.

Did you want to change your choice?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i unabashedly love Cliffhanger. I think it's a great action movie, with a breath-taking, surprising opening, a great ridiculous over the top villain and pretty outrageous action sequences, with pretty funny one-liners. it ain't Shakespeare, but it's entertaining as hell to me.

+1000

But you did put the ULTIMATE popcorn flick on your list, Independence Day.

That should win the Kumite by default.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1000

But you did put the ULTIMATE popcorn flick on your list, Independence Day.

That should win the Kumite by default.

I love that movie also. it's so over the top ridiculous, but gloriously so.

i mean.. come on... that movie had a Jew-Black Guy-Duo save the world from Aliens... AND DRUNK RANDY QUAID TALKING ABOUT ANAL PROBES... AND BILL PAXTON AS THE MOST RIDICULOUS PRESIDENT OF ALL TIME!!!

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I love that movie also. it's so over the top ridiculous, but gloriously so.

i mean.. come on... that movie had a Jew-Black Guy-Duo save the world from Aliens... AND DRUNK RANDY QUAID TALKING ABOUT ANAL PROBES... AND BILL PAXTON AS THE MOST RIDICULOUS PRESIDENT OF ALL TIME!!!

Umm..Bill Pullman you mean?