U of A vs. BYU

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? You realize SJSU went to a bowl game last year, right? How can you keep bashing ASU when they've won back to back Territorial Cups, gone to Bowl games ,et cetera. Do I think ASU is great? No. Are they were I want them to be? No. Are they a mediocre Pac 10 team? Yes. Is UofA a mediocre Pac 10 team? No, they are a bottom tier Pac team.

Any team that recruits Mark McGuires lil brother as a QB for the name gets no love from me..

Your a lil hatful dude huih Hoover..

Maybe its best to step back and revaluate yourself..

HooverDam

Reaction score
Any team that recruits Mark McGuires lil brother as a QB for the name gets no love from me..

Your a lil hatful dude huih Hoover..

Maybe its best to step back and revaluate yourself..

I'm hateful? I merely stated facts (about records, bowl games teams reached, etc) to refute your random trolling.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
And just like last year and the year before that ASU scheduled a cream puff to play in the 1st game.. At least UofA is scheduling good teams to open up with.. They aint scuurrred.. :thumbup:

Last time I checked San Jose State won 9 games last year and added a bowl victory. You do remember what a bowl game is, right?? When is the last time U of A won 9 games AND a bowl game all in one year??? Exactly. Thank god for Stoops. Go Devils.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hateful? I merely stated facts (about records, bowl games teams reached, etc) to refute your random trolling.

Ha HA! Now Im trolling.. Yet my sign up date for this board is two years before yours? Ha Ha.. Your reaching dude...

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked San Jose State won 9 games last year and added a bowl victory. You do remember what a bowl game is, right?? When is the last time U of A won 9 games AND a bowl game all in one year??? Exactly. Thank god for Stoops. Go Devils.

We can play ring around the poseys all day with bowl games, we really can.. But lets face it.. Just cuz you get a bowl game dont mean your good.. Hell, what is the Insight Bowl? And who cares about it.. Me, personally, Im jealous of USC, not ASU.. What is so great about ASU in the Discount Tire Bowl cuz were trying to be like Goodyear? Not too much.. But if it helps you sleep go ahead..

HooverDam

Reaction score
Ha HA! Now Im trolling.. Yet my sign up date for this board is two years before yours? Ha Ha.. Your reaching dude...

I don't see how a sign up date makes one persons post of a higher quality than someone else's. Notice how my posts use full, easy to understand English sentences, a limited use of ellipsis, and they site actual facts and records of teams on a field.

Please, if you want to have a debate about strength of schedule over the last few years, and for the few upcoming years, lets have that debate. It seems incompressible to me that someone could argue UofA's has been tougher, especially when Mike Stoops has made public comments about how at the end of the year people just look at your win total, so its a good idea to schedule cup cakes.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how a sign up date makes one persons post of a higher quality than someone else's.

Didnt read past this sentence..

If you dont understand that a sign up date 4 years ago, and me having all AZ teams in my sig doesnt make me a troll, you truely are maybe one of the dumbest person Ive ever encountered..

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The very definition of trolling

Ok.. Hey.. I encourage you to report me.. Tell them Im trolling.. Do it.. Go ahead.. Tell them Im trolling.. I would love to hear the response if your willing to tell me afterwards..

Seems to me you just resort to the trolling line when you aint got nothing to say..

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Ok.. Hey.. I encourage you to report me.. Tell them Im trolling.. Do it.. Go ahead.. Tell them Im trolling.. I would love to hear the response if your willing to tell me afterwards..

Seems to me you just resort to the trolling line when you aint got nothing to say..

Don't worry Gee I got your back. Gee is a Cats fan because he likes cheering for a team with an actual fan base and REAL collegiate success over the last decade. Hes a smart man. As I did, live in Tempe and attend UA (or cheer from them like GEE). That way you get the best of both worlds.:thumbup:

No doubt that was a pathetic performance from our offense last night and ASU has every right to be elated about the start of their season.

But its just Game one.

Man to think back to what I used to read about Tui after his freshman season is just laughable now. Has the luster ever come off so quickly on a hyped up QB? Geez. Stoops job is in the hands of Tui and its not looking so good as of now.

BUT playing in Provo - especially for a team not bent on winning just yet is a lot tougher than playing SJSU at home to be sure.

One Problem. Erickson looked better in one game than Koetter and Stoops have the last 5 years COMBINED. He is a good coach and so far that looks like a great hire by AS - WHO.

Hopefully we rebound and play well the rest of the season. And if not....

When does basketball start again........?:)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a bit surprised that BYU beat the snot out of UofA physically. That was a black eye for the PAC 10, but I think Cal made up for it.

I tried to tell you guys that Dykes was a bad hire as OC. That offense is a horrible fit for UofA's personnel IMO. Both the oline and WRs have to be extremely quick on their feet to make it work. That's because most throws have to be out of the QBs hand in two seconds and that doesn't appear to be Tuitama's strength either. I think the Cats will wind up modifyint their O and playing less spread formations as the season continues.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
We can play ring around the poseys all day with bowl games, we really can.. But lets face it.. Just cuz you get a bowl game dont mean your good.. Hell, what is the Insight Bowl? And who cares about it.. Me, personally, Im jealous of USC, not ASU.. What is so great about ASU in the Discount Tire Bowl cuz were trying to be like Goodyear? Not too much.. But if it helps you sleep go ahead..

I can guarantee you that your precious wildcats would LOVE to play in the Insight Bowl or the Discount Tire Bowl. The sad part is, they havent been good enough for EITHER of those bowls!

OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't worry Gee I got your back. Gee is a Cats fan because he likes cheering for a team with an actual fan base and REAL collegiate success over the last decade.

Are you serious? U of A hasn't been to a bowl game since 1999. What the hell are you talking about?, success, fanbase, tradition? Tucson follows the U of A exclusively in sports because it is all they have and they like to pretend they aren't a part of Phoenix or the rest of Arizona because they are jealous that Phoenix has freeways, pro sports, and development while they are stuck in the 1960s. Gee's reason for liking U of A over ASU is because for some unknown reason, he associates Tucson with being real, down to earth, old school folks, from a underdog, lower-middle class town, who appreciate what they have bla bla bla, and he thinks ASU is some preppy, uppity, rich boy school in Tempe, which is completly false. If anything, both schools are a mixture of both, but one is in his hometown and one isn't, and for some odd fact he likes to dis his hometown school and side with a city that absolutely hates his hometown and everything associated with it, despite never attending either. If you back your hometown in everything but hate ASU, chances are you are hating on your neighbors, friends, and a lot of the thousand of others that live here and did go to ASU. But to each his own.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? U of A hasn't been to a bowl game since 1999. What the hell are you talking about?, success, fanbase, tradition? Tucson follows the U of A exclusively in sports because it is all they have and they like to pretend they aren't a part of Phoenix or the rest of Arizona because they are jealous that Phoenix has freeways, pro sports, and development while they are stuck in the 1960s. Gee's reason for liking U of A over ASU is because for some unknown reason, he associates Tucson with being real, down to earth, old school folks, from a underdog, lower-middle class town, who appreciate what they have bla bla bla, and he thinks ASU is some preppy, uppity, rich boy school in Tempe, which is completly false. If anything, both schools are a mixture of both, but one is in his hometown and one isn't, and for some odd fact he likes to dis his hometown school and side with a city that absolutely hates his hometown and everything associated with it, despite never attending either. If you back your hometown in everything but hate ASU, chances are you are hating on your neighbors, friends, and a lot of the thousand of others that live here and did go to ASU. But to each his own.

:notworthy

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and for some odd fact he likes to dis his hometown school and side with a city that absolutely hates his hometown

Ive never lived in Tempe, so its not my hometown and Im not from the eastside Im from the westside and I cant ever remember anyone who went to UofA hating on my hometown of Glendale.. :D

I cant tell ya why, but people on this part of town seem to be Wildcats fans or alum.. Not that there aint any Sun Devils over here, but youll see alot more UofA stuff on this side than you do over on the eastside..

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I'll tell you what I meant with that last quote. I attended high school about ten minutes from ASU in Tempe. I attended Sun Devil games and cried when David Boston caught that touch down pass in the 96 Rose Bowl. I wouldn't say I was ever a ASU diehard but I followed the program (as i still do across the country) moreso than the average sports fan.

Then it came time to graduate. I chose the UA for many reasons most which included trying something new and meeting new people. I went to UA for a year and due to being in love with a girl in Tempe actually switched uniforms and went and spent my sophomore year at ASU (memo to young posters on the board - DONT EVER DO THAT - chase dreams, not girls).

I liked it I had a good time. Made some good memories with old friends. But in terms of athletics, academics, the campus and just the overall experience it was completely different. There is just no passion at ASU. Its like Miami, SD, LA and PHX and pro sports. There is just too much else going on to fully invest in the school. From Girls soccer to Football people affiliated with UA just care soooo much more. At this point I was an impartial observer but I soon realized that if I wanted a true college experience what the obvious thing to do was (esp since I had since broken up with my Tempe girl). So I went and finished my degree in Tucson.

You can rant and rave about how Tucsonians are bitter and jealous but really thats just crazy. Most of the people who attend UA and care about the school are from beautiful places like The OC, San Diego, Scottsdale etc. Its just a better school IMHO. We can fight this till we are blue in the face but you will never get me to see it the Devil way. I had Tempe, I enjoyed those freeways, those pro sports teams are all my favorites. But I LOVE the UA. Its not a Tucson/Tempe thing - its a UA/ASU thing and in that regard to me there is no question which is the better school.

Ask yourself this - If ASU Football would have been as horribly bad as UA has been the last decade or so - would 55,000 people be attending the games even though the PHX metro area is quadruple the size of Tucson? I think not.

Do ASU football/baseball players come back and show love like the UA basketball guys do? I don't think so. Barry won't even acknowledge ASU. There is no loyalty there.

Your basketball arena attendance is a joke in a city where Basketball is so big that even the Mercury get good showings. Your bread winning program hasn't even finished in the Top 3 in the conference in how long? Our bread winner in Basketball has been relatively down the last few years but we still place.

You can have ASU. I love Tempe/Scottsdale and rep it even here in FLA till I die. But I am Wildcat through and through. I'm not jealous of any tradition or ASU lore. The funny thing is the people loving ASU's tradition so much likely don't even remember that much of the Devils glory years were before they joined the PAC -10. Or were even born to watch a game where Frank Kush coached.

You can keep your school. I bleed blue and red. I have experienced them both and too me its no contest....

BEARDOWN ARIZONA

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Do ASU football/baseball players come back and show love like the UA basketball guys do? I don't think so. Barry won't even acknowledge ASU. There is no loyalty there.
Actually, two or 3 years ago when the baseball team made that surprise run to the CWS, I read somewhere that Barry came down and talked to the team sometime during midseason before they went on that winning streak. And I don't think it was a one time thing.

Bonds enjoying ASU's College WS run
06/22/2005 11:14 PM ETBy Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- Giants slugger Barry Bonds hasn't been excited about much lately as he continues to rehab his right knee. But he's been riding an emotional roller-coaster this week as his alma mater, Arizona State University, continues to win in the College World Series. "I was screaming and yelling today as I watched the game at my house," Bonds told MLB.com on Wednesday after the Sun Devils won back-to-back games on consecutive days to move a win away from the championship round. "If they win it all, they're going to owe me a ring."
Arizona State officials are crediting a visit by Bonds to the campus stadium on March 8 in Tempe, Ariz., as a big reason for the team's success this season. The occasion was a ceremony to rename the field after former Sun Devils baseball coach Jim Brock, who mentored Bonds when the left-handed slugger played there from 1983 to 1985.
Bonds, who was recuperating from Jan. 31 arthroscopic knee surgery at the time, spent part of the afternoon around the batting cage working with ASU hitters, particularly Jeff Larish, the senior who hit three homers, including the one that tied the score in the ninth, on Tuesday as the Sun Devils came back to vanquish Nebraska.
Arizona State defeated Florida on Wednesday, and if it beats the Gators again Thursday, the Sun Devils will play Texas in the best-of-three championship round this weekend. Larish had a double and scored a run in Wednesday's game.
"I didn't think they had much of a chance to do this when I went over there during Spring Training," Bonds said. "They've got a good chance now. Those guys are going on a lot of adrenaline. I'm proud of them, man. I'm really proud of those guys. They're doing a great job. That school should be proud of them, too."
Bonds added that he enjoyed the afternoon giving ASU hitters some pointers.
"I've got to say that they were very receptive and listened very closely," he said. "But after I left, it was all up to them. They're the ones who followed my advice and put in the work. There's no way I can take any credit for that."
He doesn't have to. The Sun Devils are doing it for him.
Heading into Wednesday's game against Florida, ASU was hitting .326 since meeting with Bonds, had raised the team batting average from .278 to .311 and had hit 38 of its 49 homers. The Sun Devils are now 31-14 since then.
Larish said that the batting-practice session with Bonds was a mind-expanding experience.
"It was an honor to listen to and work with one of the best hitters in baseball history," Larish said Wednesday after the game in Omaha. "I picked up some things and it gave me some confidence. I've been lucky to have a good streak to finish up my senior season in a positive way, and Barry definitely played a part in that."

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Didn't they also have Bonds' jersey in their dugout this year as some sort of motivational something or other? Danny White is still involved in ASU sometimes, Jake has done stuff, Juan Roque (ASU Olineman in 96) is doing color on TV now, lots of guys from every school come back to support the school and lots don't.

Arizona's Finest is probably right about the level of intensity of fans, and I do think its largely due to city size. Look at the programs with super loyal fan bases, they are in Norman, South Bend, Tuscaloosa, et cetera. Not New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston or Phoenix (the nations 5 biggest cities). There really is 'too much to do' in giant cities for the majority of people to dedicate so much of their free time and money to a sports team.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Well I think you are wrong on Chicago and maybe New York too, but I kind of understand what you're saying.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Yes. Tyler Lyon the RS freshman -- he won't stay that way long. Tui hasn't played well for the past 3 years.. it's time to see what else is out there

tyler lyon redshirted last year. he is a redshirt freshman this year.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
tyler lyon redshirted last year. he is a redshirt freshman this year.
And can't beat out Kris freaking Heavner. No thanks.

I had a pretty good idea we'd lose to BYU, but getting manhandled is simply embarrassing. Tuitama is done, the kid is way too scared and frankly I don't blame him after all the hits he took last year. And like I've been saying for years now, Mike Stoops is simply not a very good head football coach. He can recruit and scheme defensively and I'm fairly positive we'll manage to knock off a top 20 team this year, but the play on the field has spoken for itself and will again this year. He's likely done in a few months, if he acted like a sane human being during games he'd probably get another year or two but a head coach can't act like a maniac unless he's winning games.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest -

No disrespect to you, your experience, and your love for UA, but that's not at all my experience. I grew up at the latter end of the Kush years and have met close to a hundred former ASU football players just by showing up for practices. Lots of them come back. I'd rather hang out with Jean Boyd than Barry Bonds any day.

I know nothing about UA culture, but I think the one big problem for ASU and athletics is the fact that they never have more than 5,000 people living on campus at any given time. Forget how many people actually attend the main Tempe campus in any capacity ... if they're a 28-year-old re-entry student driving from Glendale every day, they're not going to have the emotional buy-in of someone who actually lives on campus. I hear alumni boast the 100,000+ alumni that live here, but I'm betting less than 1/5th of those have ever been to a single athletic event on campus. Those are typically the out-of-state kids who move back to wherever they came from, so their support is big in terms of raising money but negligible in terms of warm bodies in seats. The two biggest ASU alumni groups are in SoCal and Washington D.C., followed by Chicago. Outside of the few big dollar boosters who've been here for years and years, that's where ASU's money rests.

In terms of raising money for both academics and athletics, I've always felt the BOR was holding back ASU with the medical school. I've never understood UA's insistence on being the only medical school college in the state -- it just meant limitations on what they could do, too. Let UA put up a reputable law school, ASU can run with medical research, and all of a sudden both schools are producing the kinds of big-dollar alumni that schools like Washington can boast of. Why hold each other back and pretend like UA and ASU aren't competing against each other?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest -

No disrespect to you, your experience, and your love for UA, but that's not at all my experience. I grew up at the latter end of the Kush years and have met close to a hundred former ASU football players just by showing up for practices. Lots of them come back. I'd rather hang out with Jean Boyd than Barry Bonds any day.

I know nothing about UA culture, but I think the one big problem for ASU and athletics is the fact that they never have more than 5,000 people living on campus at any given time. Forget how many people actually attend the main Tempe campus in any capacity ... if they're a 28-year-old re-entry student driving from Glendale every day, they're not going to have the emotional buy-in of someone who actually lives on campus. I hear alumni boast the 100,000+ alumni that live here, but I'm betting less than 1/5th of those have ever been to a single athletic event on campus. Those are typically the out-of-state kids who move back to wherever they came from, so their support is big in terms of raising money but negligible in terms of warm bodies in seats. The two biggest ASU alumni groups are in SoCal and Washington D.C., followed by Chicago. Outside of the few big dollar boosters who've been here for years and years, that's where ASU's money rests.

In terms of raising money for both academics and athletics, I've always felt the BOR was holding back ASU with the medical school. I've never understood UA's insistence on being the only medical school college in the state -- it just meant limitations on what they could do, too. Let UA put up a reputable law school, ASU can run with medical research, and all of a sudden both schools are producing the kinds of big-dollar alumni that schools like Washington can boast of. Why hold each other back and pretend like UA and ASU aren't competing against each other?

Good Post and I agree with you assessment on why ASU is the way it is.

Doesn't change the facts though, and that's why i love my school the way I do.

OT - the James Rogers school of Law at UA - I didn't attend or anything but is there something that diminishs its status in the eyes of the state? i though it was pretty renowned.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
with those rankings ASU ranks higher in business, engineering, education with UA just higher in the law ranking

neither are top 50 in medicine and the others are only showing top 3

granted this is only for graduate programs

i think image hurts ASU more than anything when it comes to academics - their business school ranks pretty good, but I'd never get an MBA there

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson