TWolves to offer Bledsoe max contract

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draft picks along with Dieng and T Young might interest me but I'd really prefer to just match the offer they'd be willing to make.

Steve

So this would be 63 million over 4 years.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah... because I've really missed the boat on these kinda calls in the past... :D

I'd much rather have a multi-talented guard, a guy who is not only a solid offensive player but among the elite at his position on D, than a slow, plodding big man who can score... but cannot defend a chair. If we got Pekovic by Christmas 90% of the board would despise him. He makes Gortat look like Dikembe.

You keep saying that, but you are flat-out wrong. Pekovic is NOT a rim protector, but that doesn't mean he can't guard a chair. Nobody is going to move Pekovic, he can hold his position, he has his arms straight up, doesn't gamble, and he rebounds fairly well. Certainly not a defensive stopper, but he is far from a Center version of Steve Nash.

He can score in the low post, rebounds fairly well. $12M per year for his production is not really a lot. In all fairness, you can count on him missing a quarter of a season, and there is really no counter-argument to that. That, however is a different issue.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He rebounds at a lesser rate than Plumlee, maybe the "chair" comparison is unfair, but he is a poor defender, he is slow as molasses, he makes a lot of money and he gets injured a ton.

I'd rather have Bledsoe for that kind of money and its not even close. And I certainly would have no interest in any of the other rubbish Minnesota would probably need to send our way for their own cap reasons (Martin, Brewer).

If the Suns are looking for an interior presence on the glass and defensively then acquiring Pekovic would only delay that search. He solves neither issue.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He rebounds at a lesser rate than Plumlee, maybe the "chair" comparison is unfair, but he is a poor defender, he is slow as molasses, he makes a lot of money and he gets injured a ton.

I'd rather have Bledsoe for that kind of money and its not even close. And I certainly would have no interest in any of the other rubbish Minnesota would probably need to send our way for their own cap reasons (Martin, Brewer).

If the Suns are looking for an interior presence on the glass and defensively then acquiring Pekovic would only delay that search. He solves neither issue.

He'd certainly solve the issue of scoring when jumpers aren't falling. As far as rebounding goes, Plumlee's rebounding rate is damn good, so I am not sure why bring that up as an argument against Pekovic. 8.7 rebounds in 30 minutes per night is pretty damn good, in my opinion. Plumlee can't stay on the floor in the 4th quarter because he can't make free throws. Pek shoots over 75% from the free throw line.

Don't get me wrong, Pek isn't high on my "Suns need this player" list, but your characterization of him is unfair at best. What he brings to the table for $12M per year is a damn good deal for a 300lb, 6'11 dude. Those guys don't grow on trees.

EDIT:
Oh, and outside of Shaq, I've never seen a 300lb dude move much faster than Pekovic. Human being that big isn't gonna be keeping up with players who weigh 30% less than he does. What's next? Are we going to knock Dragic for not being able to defend low post against bigger SGs?

Also, I would rather have Bledsoe for "that kind of money" too, but last I checked, Bledsoe wasn't interested in $12M per year.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take Wiggins and whatever bad contract they want to throw our way plus we'll give them the Lakers pick.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the whole concept of the Wolves being willing to offer Bledsoe a max contract is very deceptive. They don't have the money to make the offer without the Suns subsidizing it by taking on bad contracts.

Right they really aren't paying the max when we are taking junk contracts back.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the whole concept of the Wolves being willing to offer Bledsoe a max contract is very deceptive. They don't have the money to make the offer without the Suns subsidizing it by taking on bad contracts.

I'll bet this is the agent again, making a last-ditch attempt to inflate Bledsoe's perceived value. You're right, almost any team would be willing to max out Bledsoe if it meant they could dump a bunch of trash in exchange.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll bet this is the agent again, making a last-ditch attempt to inflate Bledsoe's perceived value. You're right, almost any team would be willing to max out Bledsoe if it meant they could dump a bunch of trash in exchange.

I saved this piece of an article by Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.

Bledsoe's representatives with Klutch Sports, Rich Paul and Mark Termini, were unable to find a consequential offer sheet to force the Suns into matching a deal. Timberwolves president and coach Flip Saunders has been represented by Termini for much of his coaching career.

It certainly supports the agent theory and how this ball got rolling.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...-sign-and-trade-with-minnesota-214336996.html

Phoenix219

Rookie
Reaction score
You keep saying that, but you are flat-out wrong. Pekovic is NOT a rim protector, but that doesn't mean he can't guard a chair. Nobody is going to move Pekovic, he can hold his position, he has his arms straight up, doesn't gamble, and he rebounds fairly well. Certainly not a defensive stopper, but he is far from a Center version of Steve Nash.

He can score in the low post, rebounds fairly well. $12M per year for his production is not really a lot. In all fairness, you can count on him missing a quarter of a season, and there is really no counter-argument to that. That, however is a different issue.

Steve Nash wasn't nearly the liability his "reputation" claims him to be. He was a terrible 1 on 1 defender, of course, but he was great with team defense, knowing where to position himself, how to take charges, or to lead the player he was defending to where another player (should have been) the next line of defense. Amare was the weak link defensively on that team, not Steve.

So i guess that to me, that actually could make Pek the center version, huh? lol.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He'd certainly solve the issue of scoring when jumpers aren't falling. As far as rebounding goes, Plumlee's rebounding rate is damn good, so I am not sure why bring that up as an argument against Pekovic. 8.7 rebounds in 30 minutes per night is pretty damn good, in my opinion. Plumlee can't stay on the floor in the 4th quarter because he can't make free throws. Pek shoots over 75% from the free throw line.

Don't get me wrong, Pek isn't high on my "Suns need this player" list, but your characterization of him is unfair at best. What he brings to the table for $12M per year is a damn good deal for a 300lb, 6'11 dude. Those guys don't grow on trees.

EDIT:
Oh, and outside of Shaq, I've never seen a 300lb dude move much faster than Pekovic. Human being that big isn't gonna be keeping up with players who weigh 30% less than he does. What's next? Are we going to knock Dragic for not being able to defend low post against bigger SGs?

Also, I would rather have Bledsoe for "that kind of money" too, but last I checked, Bledsoe wasn't interested in $12M per year.

Pekovic is a bad defender and he is slow, I just dont see the fit. And it is a knock on a guy when you're talking about plugging him into a fast paced transition team. I mentioned his rebounding numbers because he represents a rebounding downgrade from our current center that people are not entirely thrilled with.

I have more faith that Plumlee could improve at the line than that Pekovic could stop getting hurt, run with our team and not get exposed defensively.

And I'd rather have Bledsoe for 63 than Pekovic for 48.

We will see what actually happens with Bledsoe soon. Its getting down to the wire, taking the QO is a huge risk for him. I still think there is a strong chance that he will end up signing an extension of some sort with the Suns, be it a few mil more than their current offer, or a 3 year deal that allows him to hit UFA again sooner.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Pekovic is a bad defender and he is slow, I just dont see the fit. And it is a knock on a guy when you're talking about plugging him into a fast paced transition team. I mentioned his rebounding numbers because he represents a rebounding downgrade from our current center that people are not entirely thrilled with.

I have more faith that Plumlee could improve at the line than that Pekovic could stop getting hurt, run with our team and not get exposed defensively.

And I'd rather have Bledsoe for 63 than Pekovic for 48.

We will see what actually happens with Bledsoe soon. Its getting down to the wire, taking the QO is a huge risk for him. I still think there is a strong chance that he will end up signing an extension of some sort with the Suns, be it a few mil more than their current offer, or a 3 year deal that allows him to hit UFA again sooner.

I think his act has run pretty thin with the Suns front office and they dont want to set a bad precedent by rewarding bad behavior. Its best to trade this oft injured premadonna to whom ever shows interest and unload this albatross once and for all.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think his act has run pretty thin with the Suns front office and they dont want to set a bad precedent by rewarding bad behavior. Its best to trade this oft injured premadonna to whom ever shows interest and unload this albatross once and for all.

... what bad behavior? He is a free agent negotiating a contract. The guy has done nothing illegal, immoral or offensive.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Why not 5yrs. for 70mil? Wonder if he would take more money but over a longer period thus lowering his cap amount.

5 for 70 (14per) or 5 for 75 (15per) allows us some added flexibility.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not 5yrs. for 70mil? Wonder if he would take more money but over a longer period thus lowering his cap amount.

5 for 70 (14per) or 5 for 75 (15per) allows us some added flexibility.

Just to play along, the 5th year would be a team option.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score

No kidding. This is getting funny.

Bled, good news. I found a team willing to pay you max. The bad news is they can't.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only way this works is if there is a third team involved. Is it possible though the Suns would sign Bledsoe to the deal (4/63) that Minny is offering and waiting until Wiggins can be moved? Minnesota agreed on the deal with the Cav's for Love about 2-3 weeks before it could be made official due to the timing restrictions. Would they do it again? Wiggins would be the only thing they could include that would be worth taking on Martin's deal plus probably Barea.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There is zero chance that the Wolves would include Wiggins. If they were happy with Bledsoe instead of Wiggins, they would have traded Love to the Suns in the first place. Wiggins was the piece that made Love available to Cleveland.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just two more weeks for Bledsoe til he decides whether or not to take $48 million guaranteed or $3 million guaranteed.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is zero chance that the Wolves would include Wiggins. If they were happy with Bledsoe instead of Wiggins, they would have traded Love to the Suns in the first place. Wiggins was the piece that made Love available to Cleveland.
Right. The T-Wolves are basically telling Bledsoe that they didn't want him enough to trade Love for him, but they wouldn't mind him around if it costs them a whole lot less to acquire him and helps them get rid of a few bad contracts in the process. They had their choice and decided to have two unproven rookies rather than Bledsoe.

GYDevil

Veteran
Reaction score
If you are the Twolves this is a no-lose situation. At best you pressure the Suns into making a bad deal (will not happen). At worst, you drive a wedge deeper between the Suns and Bled, which only helps you as a Western conference rival.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you are the Twolves this is a no-lose situation. At best you pressure the Suns into making a bad deal (will not happen). At worst, you drive a wedge deeper between the Suns and Bled, which only helps you as a Western conference rival.

I don't believe the T-wolves are worried about driving a wedge into any western rival. They have to get their act together and compete before they start worrying about rivals in the West. If I were making a guess, I'd say this is in part as a negotiation tactic towards the Rubio extension.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't believe the T-wolves are worried about driving a wedge into any western rival. They have to get their act together and compete before they start worrying about rivals in the West. If I were making a guess, I'd say this is in part as a negotiation tactic towards the Rubio extension.

How could it be a negotiating tactic for a Rubio extension? If you won't take a max contract we'll give it to someone who wants it? The only situation that would be a negotiating tactic is if Rubio wanted the max and the Wolves could show that they could get someone to replace him for substantially less.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN is now reporting that Bledsoe has been offered 4 years 63 million dollars in a side and trade offer to the Suns. So sounds like at the offer part is legit. However, the way our local radio is telling it, the Suns have no interest in what the Timberwolves have to offer. Also, agree with the above zero chance they include Wiggins because they want him to play along side Bledsoe.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard