Two to die in 'Potter' finale

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060626/en_nm/arts_potter_plot_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - Children's author J.K. Rowling has revealed that at least two characters will die in the seventh and final installment of her bestselling Harry Potter series, but was careful not to say who.

Children and adults are expected to rush and buy the final Harry Potter novel in their tens of millions when it is complete, and if the publication of the sixth book is anything to go by, secrecy surrounding the plot will be tight.

Rowling has already said that the final chapter of the seventh book was written long ago.

"The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly," she said in an interview broadcast on Monday on Britain's Channel 4. "One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die."

When asked to be more specific, she added: "No, I'm not going to commit myself, because I don't want the hate mail or anything else."

She did explain that she understood an author's desire to kill off the main character of a successful series.

"I've never been tempted to kill him (Harry) off before the end of book seven, because I always planned seven books and that's where I want to go.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks 'Well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels ... so it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."

Rowling, 40, wrote the first Harry Potter adventure when she was an unemployed single mother, but has gone on to become one of the richest authors in history with a personal fortune estimated at more than $1 billion.

The Harry Potter series has sold an estimated 300 million copies worldwide.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am surprised more don't die. Seems to me that the "good wizards" have no hope with Sirius Black and Dumbledore gone.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This type of stuff just makes me so much more hyped for the book. And she really said absolutely jack squat. But when J.K. talks, D-Dogg listens.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto with Mike and D-Dogg - I can't wait!

Any guesses on who will die?

I think either Harry or Voldemort HAVE to die (or both).

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never read a Harry Potter book.

I'm really not in to magic and goblins and all that stuff.

Do you think I would like it regardless? It seems... pretty popular ;)

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
thirty-two said:

:eek:

i would suggest that you read them

it is just slightly popular with the masses, so you need to follow along

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:

Yeah, I was the same way a couple of years ago. Why all the fuss about a "children's book"?

It's because she is an incredibly gifted writer. She has a great sense of humor, very colorful language, really develops the characters so you love or hate them, and mixes in suspenseful plots as well.

Her books are a guilty pleasure for adults as well as fun for kids.

Give the 1st book a shot and see if you like it!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jw7 said:
Yeah, I was the same way a couple of years ago. Why all the fuss about a "children's book"?

It's because she is an incredibly gifted writer. She has a great sense of humor, very colorful language, really develops the characters so you love or hate them, and mixes in suspenseful plots as well.

Her books are a guilty pleasure for adults as well as fun for kids.

Give the 1st book a shot and see if you like it!

:thumbup:

Kate - I used to make fun of the Potterites - until I read the first book, and was hooked. She is a great writer, and her talent/skill has developed with the series.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't read any of the books yet but I love the movies.

:dumbamerican:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
I haven't read any of the books yet but I love the movies.

:dumbamerican:

The books are a billion times better than the films...and the films are really good.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
:thumbup:

Kate - I used to make fun of the Potterites - until I read the first book, and was hooked. She is a great writer, and her talent/skill has developed with the series.

I too made fun of Pottheads...avoided the books even though my motherinlaw who is a teacher kept pushing them at us. No thanks, no thanks, no thanks. (and I do like those kind of books...just didn't want to jump on the bandwagon). I avoided the first movie, then happened to catch it at my sisters house. I liked it, so I picked up the first book...then tore through the next 3. Books 5 and 6 were INSTANT day one purchases, and the rest of the movies were seen opening day.

JK is infectious, and her writing is great. Incredibly enjoyable to read with great stories and characters.

I'm a total Potthead now...

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
The books are a billion times better than the films...and the films are really good.

:raccoon:

It's too bad that Im gonna finish the 7th book by the night of its release.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
:raccoon:

It's too bad that Im gonna finish the 7th book by the night of its release.

I bought a copy of the 6th book for my wife for her birthday...and I also bought a copy for myself. There was no way we were sharing that one...we raced through it and when I got to THE MOMENT I tore through the rest while she slept. The morning came...I woke up to tell her this: when you get to page XXX, you will not put this book down... just read," and then I gave her the space she needed to finish. She had tears in her eyes and I said "I told you!! WTF?!?"

Book six was fantastic. I can't wait...seriously...I can't...for the seventh book. I'm about to go knock on JK's door and beg for some scraps of information.

Pott-Head....

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:

Hey, Kate. If you agree to read the first book, then I will as well. (I can see myself on the beach at the Jersey shore now, lol!)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
Hey, Kate. If you agree to read the first book, then I will as well. (I can see myself on the beach at the Jersey shore now, lol!)

Do it!!!

The first two are more children's books, but the others are definately young adult/adult.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:

Deal!

What is the first book btw? Anyone? I would look it up but what if I start with the wrong book and then everything is messed up? I dont know if I could handle that!

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Deal!

What is the first book btw? Anyone? I would look it up but what if I start with the wrong book and then everything is messed up? I dont know if I could handle that!

1 - Sorcerers stone
2- chamber of secrets
3-prisoner of azkaban
4-goblet of fire
5-order of the phoenix
6-half blood prince

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
1 - Sorcerers stone