True Detective (HBO)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Starts up this Sunday. With Girls, Shameless, House of Lies, & Justified.... A lot is going on right now, but this is getting very good reviews.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McConaghey is just killing whatever role he's taking right now. And Woody was really good as well. Will definitely keep watching.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The acting was great.

But oh man was it a slow dragging hour. I hope it picks up.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The acting was great.

But oh man was it a slow dragging hour. I hope it picks up.

I am enjoying the slow burn. The chemistry between Woody and Matthew is incredible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"There were other times that I felt like I was mainlining the secret truths of the universe."

I'm all in on this sucker!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
such a slooooooooooooooooooooooow burn, but I'm just loving every second of it.

AZZenny

Reaction score
This show is BREATHTAKING. I identify with McConaghey's character more than anyone I can ever recall on a TV show, and the writing is poetic and cruel. Camerawork is beautiful, and the pacing is like swimming through tar in a nightmare.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
This sounds fantastic. I'm a big fan of slow burn shows if they're done right. Breaking Bad was slow burn early on (for the most part).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds fantastic. I'm a big fan of slow burn shows if they're done right. Breaking Bad was slow burn early on (for the most part).

Breaking Bad's early episode were a full on 50 yard dash compared to this so far. deliberate doesn't even begin to describe the show, but it's gripping nonetheless.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
McConaghey is such a pleasure to watch. Just nailed that scene where he shows up at Woody's doorstep. No words needed, just great physical acting.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
This series is the legitimate successor of Breaking Bad.

Excellent acting especially by McConaghey. The general setting is depressing and gloomy, the first 3 episodes are slowly setting the foundation of the series.

The characters infuriate me in the same way that Breaking Bad characters did.

I am not even a fan of the genre but can see that this series is simply very high quality.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'm 2 episodes in and I'm enjoying it. Definitely slow burn and there's a constant sense of dread. I'm not going to put it in the top tier just yet, like so many have, but it's definitely a very good show. I'm guessing it's going to get better and better based on what people have said.

AZZenny

Reaction score
The visuals are so nice -- btw, the pace does pick up and at times is like NASCAR on Jack Daniels and meth. One episode left, and there are an awful lot of loose strings out there.

I caught Dallas Buyer's Club right before the Oscars -- if you like MM in True Detective, I think you'll really appreciate him in the movie. Reminds me a bit of Brad Pitt, and Paul Newman before him - they all had to outgrow the youthful prettiness a bit to really get through to the raw core of their talent, and then they never let go.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Such an awesome show. Curious to see if they bring another set of "big name stars" next season. I like the concept of self contained seasons each year. It is gonna be hard to ever top his season though.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Many seem disappointed with the finale. It was pretty meh to me. Thought the payoff would have been better

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The finale was fine, especially the scenes after it was "over".

It will be hard to top this season, they need a big time script and big time actors to pull it off.
I could very well imagine someone like Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Johnny Depp and so on but that is obviously unrealistic.

Probably the biggest loss to the series is that the director of season 1 won't continue.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The director of this season has the rights to the characters so expect a book series to follow

Sent from an old telephone booth using Tapatalk 2

AZZenny

Reaction score
I think it's the writer, Nic Pizzolato, who owns all the rights, and he's signed on for next year (and beyond) so he'll be busy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's the writer, Nic Pizzolato, who owns all the rights, and he's signed on for next year (and beyond) so he'll be busy.

yeah...I'd be stunned if the writer didn't have the rights to this and the director did.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Pizzolato is 'the franchise' not the director -- although I liked the direction and cinematography very much. The concept they intend/hope to keep is of one writer, one director, 8 episodes, all noir. I read an interview with the writer, and he admitted that himself as solo writer may have to get redefined and stretched a bit if/as he also takes on more exec producer-ish roles. He locked himself in his garage for three months and wrote this season, but said that's not necessarily something he wants to do, or could do, annually.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pizzolato is 'the franchise' not the director -- although I liked the direction and cinematography very much. The concept they intend/hope to keep is of one writer, one director, 8 episodes, all noir. I read an interview with the writer, and he admitted that himself as solo writer may have to get redefined and stretched a bit if/as he also takes on more exec producer-ish roles. He locked himself in his garage for three months and wrote this season, but said that's not necessarily something he wants to do, or could do, annually.

I give all the credit in the world to that guy. Breaking 8 episodes is tough enough to do with 8 people in the writers room. To do it completely by yourself AND write them sounds beyond impossible.

That's 8 episode breaks, 8 outlines at 15-20 pages each and then 8 55 page scripts...all of them which get notes, rebreaks and rewrites.

That's insane.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Okay, so I finally watched this. While I found it very good television, I didn't have the 'OMG, this is so effing brilliant' reaction much of the populace had. Yes, it was excellent, but not the best show on TV for me. I mean, sports radio guys were raving about it, the common Joe on the street, everyone, saying it's like the best show ever. Really good? Yes, a really good slow burn. The best? By far, no.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I finally watched this. While I found it very good television, I didn't have the 'OMG, this is so effing brilliant' reaction much of the populace had. Yes, it was excellent, but not the best show on TV for me. I mean, sports radio guys were raving about it, the common Joe on the street, everyone, saying it's like the best show ever. Really good? Yes, a really good slow burn. The best? By far, no.

I think it tailed off the last two episodes, but I was riveted through the first three episodes and was pretty impressed throughout. Ultimately, I agree though. A really, really good show, but not the best I've ever seen.

I will say this, Rust was one of my favorite characters of all time. I enjoyed the show MUCH more for te relationship story between woody and Mconagehy then I did the "mystery".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard