Tristan Wirfs vs Jedrick Willis: Who is the best tackle prospect?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Such a deep draft at T.

Best could very well turn out to be Becton or someone else off the top 10-12 radar. One of the Georgia T's....or?

Scheme fit will be huge. Who the most mobile will be. So for different teams different prospects.
I want Simmons if he is available. But if he is gone, I would not mind moving back and taking a tackle while adding an additional pick.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I want Simmons if he is available. But if he is gone, I would not mind moving back and taking a tackle while adding an additional pick.
Me too. But I doubt Simmons makes it there.
Brown or Kinlaw, mtl, if they go DL there.

Depends how high they are on Murray.

We do need that extra day 2 pick back though.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Wirfs!

Jedrick Wills, Alabama (6-4, 312):Teams have had marginal success drafting Crimson Tide offensive linemen during the Nick Saban era. “We weren’t as firm on him as some of the other ones,” one scout said in reference to the other leading tackles in the draft. “He’s a pretty good athlete. Pretty strong. Shows some nasty. He played right tackle there but he looked like he can play left tackle.” One scout brought up Jonah Williams, the Alabama left tackle in 2017 and 2018 who was the 11th pick last year. “Jonah Williams is an all-star compared to this guy,” he said. “Awful. He’s upright. He’s a stiff guy.” He ran 5.06 seconds. “I’m not crazy about him but people love him,” said a third scout. “Every time I watched him, I didn’t see a really good athlete. Worked outwell. I just don’t see the movement, finish, talent of a first-rounder. I do not think he could play lefttackle.”
Can't believe everything. Lots of smoke being thrown out there now. Some contradictory statements being thrown out. He may not be the most mobile, but Uche (Michigan) certainly had issues defeating him in their bowl game. And he's twitchy fast.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think of the top OTs -- its clearly a preference thing

if you value technical acumen vs athletic traits: Wills
if you value athletic vs technical: Wirfs
if you value upside and rare genes: Becton
if you value a big sample size of production vs high comp: Thomas

I have my preferences, but I also know I don't have the expertise to know if one of those is really any better than another.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think of the top OTs -- its clearly a preference thing

if you value technical acumen vs athletic traits: Wills
if you value athletic vs technical: Wirfs
if you value upside and rare genes: Becton
if you value a big sample size of production vs high comp: Thomas

I have my preferences, but I also know I don't have the expertise to know if one of those is really any better than another.
Funny thing is, what you said for Thomas is what you can say for Willis as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like Becton but he scares me. I hope he’s gone by our pick so we don’t have to make a tough decision. Wirfs is pretty safe.

Max Starks was on the radio mentioning our interior OL are 30+ and we should address the IOL in the mid rounds. OT at #8 and IOL in the 3-4th sounds good. Set up Kyler now and go heavy on D next year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Becton but he scares me. I hope he’s gone by our pick so we don’t have to make a tough decision. Wirfs is pretty safe.

Max Starks was on the radio mentioning our interior OL are 30+ and we should address the IOL in the mid rounds. OT at #8 and IOL in the 3-4th sounds good. Set up Kyler now and go heavy on D next year.

Defense next year?
Its a very bad unit to postpone any upgrading

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Defense next year?
Its a very bad unit to postpone any upgrading

Well first off maybe it was poorly worded because going defense in the 3rd or 4th doesn’t guarantee an upgrade in the first place (or guarantee we hit on whatever OL we take as well). But I think we have the ability to set up the entire offense for the future if all goes right (big if).

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I like Robert Hunt and Hakeem Adeniji as mid round guards.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade back, trade back?

Who exactly would be a #8 that some team will pay a premium to have and that we couldn't use?

football karma

Reaction score
Trade back, trade back?

Who exactly would be a #8 that some team will pay a premium to have and that we couldn't use?

Raiders at #12 need a WR

likely their choice will be there at #8

Raiders also have three 3rd round picks

so: would you give up a 3rd to guarantee that you got what you considered the best WR in the draft?

NY Jets at #11 need a LT badly

nearly same situation as the Raiders: do they give up a pick to guarantee that they get the one they want

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Raiders at #12 need a WR

likely their choice will be there at #8

Raiders also have three 3rd round picks

so: would you give up a 3rd to guarantee that you got what you considered the best WR in the draft?

NY Jets at #11 need a LT badly

nearly same situation as the Raiders: do they give up a pick to guarantee that they get the one they want

Raiders make sense but I’m not trading back for just a 3rd.

football karma

Reaction score
Using the Value chart it’s most likely a 3rd and a 4th to Trade up from 12th to 8th
you are correct there

also on the Raiders: their FA haul is something

they may be looking at late round guys and thinking that they aren't all making the team anyway, so might as well us some to move up to get a guy we know will contribute

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Using the Value chart it’s most likely a 3rd and a 4th to Trade up from 12th to 8th

Not sure the origin of the value chart but it doesn’t have any significance regarding deals. However the Raiders have three 3’s and I would move back for two of them.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure the origin of the value chart but it doesn’t have any significance regarding deals. However the Raiders have three 3’s and I would move back for two of them.

Jimmy Johnson originated it when he was HC at Dallas and it's pretty much a standard. Teams do get desperate though and stray.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

In fairness to Becton, recent tackles of his size have panned out well. Wirfs is my favorite, but hard to deny the success of guys like Orlando Brown and Trent Brown.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The best OT prospect will be a New York Giant.
You're probably correct, but if our OL coach is as good as advertised, Wirfs or Becton will probably be a pretty good consolation prize.

P.S. Also, there is hope that the Giant GM (Dave Gettleman, Sp?) will screw up.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have done numerous mocks and though I do not think realistic, they still keep letting Okudah or Simmons slide to us but then no matter what I say about taking the best player, I see the fact that all the best OT prospects are gone after round one and we do not have even a round two

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard