Trevor Bauer Traded For Didi Gregorius

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/reds-acquire-shin-soo-choo.html

8:12pm: The Diamondbacks announced that they have acquired shortstop Didi Gregorius, left-handed pitcher Tony Sipp, and first baseman Lars Anderson from the Indians in exchange for right-handed pitchers Trevor Bauer, Matt Albers and Bryan Shaw. The Reds are receiving Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald in the swap.

Bye Bye Head Case!!! Hello SSOTF?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
UGH.

Bauer may be a little nutty and had a rough stint @ the major league level but this looks like an awful trade!

Last edited:

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Won't be able to assess this deal until a few years from now, but glad we got a potential SSOTF without having to sacrifice Upton.

We still have a ton of pitching depth in the system which makes losing Bauer less painful. Clearly the organization felt his makeup was well below-par after such a short stint with the organization.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Mistake! Bauer was super talented, potentially the most talented pitcher in the organization, no matter how quirky he was.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Someone explain this to me... getting an average hitting but great defensive short stop was worth giving up the 3rd overall pick in the 2011 MLB draft that put up gaudy stats in the minors but struggled in his FIRST few MLB outings?

Does not compute.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
I'm hoping this isn't true. I'm not against trading Bauer but I think we can get a better prospect in return.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Horrible trade. Towers got taken again, just like last year when the A's got Parker. I hate Towers and he is doing the same thing Byrnes did. Didi Gregorius will be a bust. His numbers are nothing that sticks out. They could of gotten a much better shortstop for Bauer.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Looking at Gregorius minor league stats nothing about his bat or base running make me think he will be of any use offensively. Sipp is a 29 yr old middle reliever who is OK, average at best and Anderson is nothing special.

I hope they can explain this trade because it looks terrible

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Horrible trade. Towers got taken again, just like last year when the A's got Parker. I hate Towers and he is doing the same thing Byrnes did. Didi Gregorius will be a bust. His numbers are nothing that sticks out. They could of gotten a much better shortstop for Bauer.

Towers has turned Parker and Bauer into Didi and Cahill.

:lmao:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm good with this trade. Bauer is a total nut-job who does not have any regard or respect for others. Who knows, maybe the trade itself will wake him up and humble him... maybe not. But, I've always been one who leans in the direction of cleansing the team of these types of cancers.
DiDi is only 22 and is viewed by many experts as a true up & comer. Here's a recent scouting report on him:

The proud owner of a name that's as much hiphop as shortstop, Reds prospect DiDi Gregorius is part of Cincinnati's posse of hard-hitting infielders of the future. Mariekson Julius Gregorius (okay, now we see why he prefers Didi) is a Netherlands native with a sweet lefthanded swing who can play all over the diamond, though he certainly does seem very much at home at shortstop. He slashed .270/.312/.392 at AA Carolina in 2011, too, proving that there isn't much left between him and the big-league club.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Why didnt we just take Dylan Bundy in that draft? Or Anthony Rendon? Or Francisco Lindsor? or why didn't we just have him play in triple A and put up obscene stats and then flip him for Andrus or Profar?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
He is probably a # 7 or 8 hitter on most teams...means he will bat lead off here.

So disappointed.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So we just flipped one of the top 5 prospects in baseball for one of the top 10 prospects in the Reds organization...

I dont know what to say. Utter disgust. The pitchers in our farm system were the envy of all of baseball not even a year ago, and now we've flipped the two top arms for (expletive).

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'm good with this trade. Bauer is a total nut-job who does not have any regard or respect for others. Who knows, maybe the trade itself will wake him up and humble him... maybe not. But, I've always been one who leans in the direction of cleansing the team of these types of cancers.
DiDi is only 22 and is viewed by many experts as a true up & comer. Here's a recent scouting report on him:

The proud owner of a name that's as much hiphop as shortstop, Reds prospect DiDi Gregorius is part of Cincinnati's posse of hard-hitting infielders of the future. Mariekson Julius Gregorius (okay, now we see why he prefers Didi) is a Netherlands native with a sweet lefthanded swing who can play all over the diamond, though he certainly does seem very much at home at shortstop. He slashed .270/.312/.392 at AA Carolina in 2011, too, proving that there isn't much left between him and the big-league club.

DiDi is a winner plain and simple. I met him a month and a half ago because he was staying with my friend at his house during the AZ Fall League, which they won the Fall League title as well.

He's a pretty humble and soft spoken guy and likes to hang out at home. Has a very nice girlfriend and is ready for his opportunity. Don't underestimate this kid, he's gonna be real pleasant surprise and solidify the position long term.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
DiDi is a winner plain and simple. I met him a month and a half ago because he was staying with my friend at his house during the AZ Fall League, which they won the Fall League title as well.

He's a pretty humble and soft spoken guy and likes to hang out at home. Has a very nice girlfriend and is ready for his opportunity. Don't underestimate this kid, he's gonna be real pleasant surprise and solidify the position long term.

Yep!

:thumbup:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This certainly does not help ARZ next year. This is what worried me all along losing Upton and Bauer for nothing that will make us a contender next year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Didi Gregorius will be a bust. His numbers are nothing that sticks out.
I took a look at those numbers. In five seasons in the Minors, he averaged .271 with a total of 244 strikeouts vs. 118 bases on balls.

His Major League stats are almost non-existent. 6-for-20 -- all singles with one run and 2 RBI's. 5 strikeouts and no walks. And no stolen bases.

'Sounds mediocre at best.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This certainly does not help ARZ next year. This is what worried me all along losing Upton and Bauer for nothing that will make us a contender next year.
Bauer certainly wouldn't have made them a contender. We're loaded with good starting talent.

DiDi will do very fine here. You'll really like the way he plays.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bauer certainly wouldn't have made them a contender. We're loaded with good starting talent.

DiDi will do very fine here. You'll really like the way he plays.

Disagree. Bauer was the Diamondbacks minor league Pitcher of the Year and dominated the minors. He admitted his mistakes when he was called up. He is just a young pitcher who will learn from his mistakes. He has way too much talent and he will be a pitcher that will be very successful, just like Parker. I can't believe this team got rid of those two stud pitchers for less talented players.:bang:

Reaction score
Disagree. Bauer was the Diamondbacks minor league Pitcher of the Year and dominated the minors. He admitted his mistakes when he was called up. He is just a young pitcher who will learn from his mistakes. He has way too much talent and he will be a pitcher that will be very successful, just like Parker. I can't believe this team got rid of those two stud pitchers for less talented players.:bang:

Apparently the organization also did not appreciate Bauers tweets during the first presidential debate if I remember correctly. Kevin Towers is not setting a good precedent for getting good value in return for prospects. He has turned Parker and Bauer into Cahill and Didi. That is not a recipe for success.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bauer is not wacky, in a Spaceman Lee kind of way. He's troubling, in a Jimmy Piersall, is-he-back-there-talking-to-Babe-Ruth's-statue kind of way.

It's still all on the D-Backs that they drafted him knowing FULL WELL he's borderline psycho. It's still all on the D-Backs that they agreed to his way of game management, which he is committed to in all kinds of irrational ways, then they complained because they don't like his game management.

This trade is just an acknowledgement they never knew what they were doing this whole time. Better now than later, I guess, but his row with Miggy was untenable. It meant they were never going to get in a trade what his value actually is on the mound.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Towers essentially trades the #3 pick for the Reds 8th best prospect (Baseball America) who happens to play the least productive position on the field. And he felt the need to include two reasonably good bullpen arms as well in Shaw and Albers. Towers is an absolute fool who will slowly wreck this franchise one piece at a time.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Wasn't the idea behind drafting Bauer that certain leaders in the organization would be able to straighten him out?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson