Trevor Bauer 6 IP - No hits..

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The buffoonery of Towers will haunt us for a decade atleast.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He could hurt the most...

When we traded Scherzer at least we got two pitchers who contributed to a playoff run. Bauer was given away for what amounted to nothing. Oh, and we tossed two quality relievers in as dressing.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
11 strikeouts in 6 innings of no hit baseball. wow.

however, he threw 111 pitches and had 5 walks in that timeframe.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Wasn't it Miggy as much as anyone who rejected Bauer? And I can't say that I blame him.

There is a difference between being Randy Johnson eccentric and a rookie who refuses to take direction from the start.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wasn't it Miggy as much as anyone who rejected Bauer? And I can't say that I blame him.

There is a difference between being Randy Johnson eccentric and a rookie who refuses to take direction from the start.

miggy was the most vocal to the media, that's for sure. agree though, can't be mad at miggy for that. bauer came in and had problems from day 1 with his ridiculous pre-game routines. he never wanted to conform in any sense, and was trying to play by the beat of his own drum. phenom or not, you gotta play the game to some extent.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
miggy was the most vocal to the media, that's for sure. agree though, can't be mad at miggy for that. bauer came in and had problems from day 1 with his ridiculous pre-game routines. he never wanted to conform in any sense, and was trying to play by the beat of his own drum. phenom or not, you gotta play the game to some extent.

If you're not going to indulge his personality then don't draft him. It was no secret he was going to continue to do things his way.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its the catchers job to adjust to his pitchers, not vice-versa. Bauer had a routine and a level of talent that was clearly working for him, if its not broke don't fix it. Miggy was the one who's ego got in the way, not Bauer's.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If a guy is a total basket case, gets traded away and then has success isn't that a good thing?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't believe they paid KT to run this team into the ground and then made an offer to keep him in the organization under the new regime. Thank God for small mercies when he turned them down and left.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Its the catchers job to adjust to his pitchers, not vice-versa. Bauer had a routine and a level of talent that was clearly working for him, if its not broke don't fix it. Miggy was the one who's ego got in the way, not Bauer's.

Respectfully disagree. Bauer as the rookie should adjust.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. Bauer as the rookie should adjust.

yep. it's that way in all sports.

No, it honestly isn't. Especially for pitchers. Bauer wasn't refusing to carry bags or ignoring the hierarchy in the club house, he didn't break some decorum. He merely wanted to throw the pitches he knew he could execute.

It was well known that Bauer had this routine before he was drafted, the Dbacks let him come up through the minors using the routine all the way through the system, then suddenly he bumps into Miggy and thats all out the window? Its Miggy's way or the highway? Miggy got upset because Bauer shook off his calls... because Bauer knew his own stuff far better than Miggy did.

Catchers adjust to pitchers. Period.

Miggy let his own ego get in the way of the development of a potentially great player. And then Towers, in typical form, traded a supremely valuable asset in hand for one that held a fraction of that value... because it filled whatever his imagined "need" was in that particular moment.

It was a fiasco and the Dbacks were 100% to blame for it.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, it honestly isn't. Especially for pitchers. Bauer wasn't refusing to carry bags or ignoring the hierarchy in the club house, he didn't break some decorum. He merely wanted to throw the pitches he knew he could execute.

It was well known that Bauer had this routine before he was drafted, the Dbacks let him come up through the minors using the routine all the way through the system, then suddenly he bumps into Miggy and thats all out the window? Its Miggy's way or the highway? Miggy got upset because Bauer shook off his calls... because Bauer knew his own stuff far better than Miggy did.

Catchers adjust to pitchers. Period.

Miggy let his own ego get in the way of the development of a potentially great player. And then Towers, in typical form, traded a supremely valuable asset in hand for one that held a fraction of that value... because it filled whatever his imagined "need" was in that particular moment.

It was a fiasco and the Dbacks were 100% to blame for it.

I agree with the last paragraph that KT Really screwed that one up, but I have issues with the assessment of Bauer.

Bauer said himself that he wasn't calling pitches based on hitters weaknesses. He had a "system" that he threw certain pitches based on the count and situation. That style of "revolutionary" thinking isn't how it works in the bigs. There's a reason he's having success in Cleveland, because he learned the hard way that that type of closed mindedness got him nowhere.

But I don't think he should have been shipped out because that, it's conpletely ridiculous. The way KT gave up on prospects after limited MLB time was alarming, but that's a whole conversation for a different thread

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I agree with the last paragraph that KT Really screwed that one up, but I have issues with the assessment of Bauer.

Bauer said himself that he wasn't calling pitches based on hitters weaknesses. He had a "system" that he threw certain pitches based on the count and situation. That style of "revolutionary" thinking isn't how it works in the bigs. There's a reason he's having success in Cleveland, because he learned the hard way that that type of closed mindedness got him nowhere.

But I don't think he should have been shipped out because that, it's conpletely ridiculous. The way KT gave up on prospects after limited MLB time was alarming, but that's a whole conversation for a different thread

I can agree with that. However, it would have been much better to work with him and try to come to a common ground rather than tell everyone that he was immature and then trade him.

The other problem is look at this draft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Major_League_Baseball_Draft

We could have had Anthony Rendon, Lindor, Jose Fernandez...there was ton of talent in that draft. The whole thing is more than a little annoying when you look at what we have in our rotation right now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This eats at me so bad.

We gave up a legit ace level prospect for what has turned out to be absolutely nothing.

But hey, the guy had personality, and the KT era Dbacks were vehemently opposed to that.

HooverDam

Reaction score
This eats at me so bad.

We gave up a legit ace level prospect for what has turned out to be absolutely nothing.

But hey, the guy had personality, and the KT era Dbacks were vehemently opposed to that.

Yup. It was so frustrating that a guy who could be an ace, and was quirky, which would have drawn even more fan support, was shipped out because he was quirky. They knew about his weird habits when they drafted him.

Sadly, the D'backs front office is pretty dim. They think Bauer and whatever the gals name, the Rally backs, Churro dogs, etc are what get people to the ballpark.

Colangelo had a different method, it was called winning. The sedona red and black crew ought to give it a try.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last start - 6 IP, 6 ER.

And...last 7 starts,

5.66 ERA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member