Trevor Bauer 6 IP - No hits..

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This eats at me so bad.

We gave up a legit ace level prospect for what has turned out to be absolutely nothing.

But hey, the guy had personality, and the KT era Dbacks were vehemently opposed to that.

Ace level?

And to date, Robbie Ray (who we got for Didi) is pitching better than Bauer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ace level?

And to date, Robbie Ray (who we got for Didi) is pitching better than Bauer.

And I think all you'd have to do is watch one inning of each of them to understand why Bauer's potential is astronomically higher.

Yes, Bauer has ace level potential. His stuff is electric, but like a lot of guys with that kind of stuff it takes them time to put it all together (and even so he'd still be one of the best guys in our rotation).

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I think all you'd have to do is watch one inning of each of them to understand why Bauer's potential is astronomically higher.

Yes, Bauer has ace level potential. His stuff is electric, but like a lot of guys with that kind of stuff it takes them time to put it all together (and even so he'd still be one of the best guys in our rotation).

5.66 ERA doesn't scream ace.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
His 3.76 ERA from his first 13 games of this season would have better than any pitcher who started in our rotation.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
5.66 ERA doesn't scream ace.

Yeah, a 7 game sample size is enough to say a 24 year old with filthy stuff will never put it together.

Guys with his ability are very rare and a lot of them had ups and downs early in their careers. Some of them like Verlander or Randy or Scherzer or Schilling eventually merge their talent with control and become absolute studs. And sometimes they go the route of Edwin Jackson or AJ Burnett and never live up to that promise, the guys who you watch when they're "on" and wonder how they never became better.

Trading him was stupid, trading him for a virtual non-prospect like Didi was incomprehensible.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, a 7 game sample size is enough to say a 24 year old with filthy stuff will never put it together.

Guys with his ability are very rare and a lot of them had ups and downs early in their careers. Some of them like Verlander or Randy or Scherzer or Schilling eventually merge their talent with control and become absolute studs. And sometimes they go the route of Edwin Jackson or AJ Burnett and never live up to that promise, the guys who you watch when they're "on" and wonder how they never became better.

Trading him was stupid, trading him for a virtual non-prospect like Didi was incomprehensible.

Good post

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jon has always been that way about sports on here, except for his bf Miggy that is.

He cheered on and defended KT through his whole tenure. I wouldn't take his analysis seriously. He's a loyal fan though.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but Bauer had a hell of a game yesterday in a loss.

9IP 5H 2ER 1BB 6K

Gave up a solo HR in the 9th.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but Bauer had a hell of a game yesterday in a loss.

9IP 5H 2ER 1BB 6K

Gave up a solo HR in the 9th.

I saw that, and figured someone would post :)

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bauer pulled off a rare feat in the 2nd inning of today's game against the White Sox. He walked the bases loaded with 12 straight pitches.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update - Bauer didn't make the starting rotation this year for the Indians.

May get a chance to start do to injuries.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Update - Bauer didn't make the starting rotation this year for the Indians.

May get a chance to start do to injuries.

Kindof expected this. I never knew if Bauer was going to be good or even great, but my biggest issue with the whole thing was just how quickly KT and the front office gave up on him.

Even if he was a pain in the butt, (newsflash he's a millennial, they are all mental cases/pain in the asses I think that is actually the literal translation of the word Millennial) even if he didn't get along, even if the coach didn't like him. He wasn't getting arrested or causing huge problems, we could have worked with him longer before we just cut him loose for "the next Derek Jeter."

To me it was all personal crap and yet another example of the old regime making baseball decisions based on NON baseball factors.

If you even thought there was a chance this kid could get it together we should have worked with him longer.

Oh well, all water under the bridge now. Looks like he will be a bullpen guy the rest of his career unless he really comes around.

So in a way it's all much ado about nothing, but I'm really glad KT is gone because while I dont agree with all the new guards moves (shelby miller) I have confidence that they are based on what will make us better, not who is liked and disliked.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kindof expected this. I never knew if Bauer was going to be good or even great, but my biggest issue with the whole thing was just how quickly KT and the front office gave up on him.

Even if he was a pain in the butt, (newsflash he's a millennial, they are all mental cases/pain in the asses I think that is actually the literal translation of the word Millennial) even if he didn't get along, even if the coach didn't like him. He wasn't getting arrested or causing huge problems, we could have worked with him longer before we just cut him loose for "the next Derek Jeter."

To me it was all personal crap and yet another example of the old regime making baseball decisions based on NON baseball factors.

If you even thought there was a chance this kid could get it together we should have worked with him longer.

Oh well, all water under the bridge now. Looks like he will be a bullpen guy the rest of his career unless he really comes around.

So in a way it's all much ado about nothing, but I'm really glad KT is gone because while I dont agree with all the new guards moves (shelby miller) I have confidence that they are based on what will make us better, not who is liked and disliked.

Bauer will be a starter again and fill a back of the rotation. He's just on a team with a stacked roster right now.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How Bauer ends up doing is in some ways immaterial, the Diamondbacks have given up so many young arms in sketchy deals over the past couple seasons that it's bound to bite them at some point.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it honestly isn't. Especially for pitchers. Bauer wasn't refusing to carry bags or ignoring the hierarchy in the club house, he didn't break some decorum. He merely wanted to throw the pitches he knew he could execute.

It was well known that Bauer had this routine before he was drafted, the Dbacks let him come up through the minors using the routine all the way through the system, then suddenly he bumps into Miggy and thats all out the window? Its Miggy's way or the highway? Miggy got upset because Bauer shook off his calls... because Bauer knew his own stuff far better than Miggy did.

Catchers adjust to pitchers. Period.

Miggy let his own ego get in the way of the development of a potentially great player. And then Towers, in typical form, traded a supremely valuable asset in hand for one that held a fraction of that value... because it filled whatever his imagined "need" was in that particular moment.

It was a fiasco and the Dbacks were 100% to blame for it.

Being a former pitcher for a long time, this is 100% accurate. Catchers adjust to pitchers strengths. Not the other way around. An inside guy in the Dbacks organization that I know, said Miggy was the biggest ***** there is. That destroyed the locker room and a reason he was sent off

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a former pitcher for a long time, this is 100% accurate. Catchers adjust to pitchers strengths. Not the other way around. An inside guy in the Dbacks organization that I know, said Miggy was the biggest ***** there is. That destroyed the locker room and a reason he was sent off

I worked out with a Hops coach last summer who said the same thing.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I worked out with a Hops coach last summer who said the same thing.
I don't know if I brought it up in this thread or another, I know this one is rather old. But I am almost certain that Miggy was the "unnamed source" in the clubhouse who kept throwing guys under the bus to the press.

He and Martin Prado seemed like massive d-bags.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I brought it up in this thread or another, I know this one is rather old. But I am almost certain that Miggy was the "unnamed source" in the clubhouse who kept throwing guys under the bus to the press.

I have no doubt of this after what the coach told me.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

They are just old school gamers and the young millenials don't know how to play the game the right way!
:sarcasm:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard