Trade up to get Suggs! Now!

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
How often do you hear a stud like Suggs say, "It would be like heaven to play for the Cardinals".

This is what he said today while accepting his trophies at the Sun Devil basketball game. Can you imagine the energy this guy would bring to the D. A very solid starting point to build around.

I'm not sure what it would take to move up to #2-#5?

IMO, the Cards priorities should be in accumulating young, mid-level free agents. With a top-level free agent or two. Screw trying to build through the draft (like they've been trying).

I'll stick my neck out and predict Terrell Suggs will be a Hall of Famer in about 12 years. (If he remains... Wadsworth.... cough.... Swann... cough...healthy).

Cardinator

Reaction score
I'm an arizona guy and always cheer for A.S.U. I want Suggs too, but I am afraid my bias is clouding my judgement. I haven't seen most of the other guys play that much and am devoted to A.S.U. The guys that watch a lot of college ball seem to like Suggs too. Suggs could be a great one someday.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trade up <b>now</b>? Eight weeks before the draft?

Relax. There's a good chance he'll be there at #6. Don't automatically believe all this garbage about the Texans or Bears taking him.

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Trade up now? Eight weeks before the draft?

You know what I mean, Ed.

However, I want the Cards to create their own good fortune. I don't want to see them "pray and hope" he falls to them on draft day.

For once, a little proactive thinking would be nice. Just once. Is that too hard to ask??

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
sly I agree 100% Suggs he is a difference maker, I would do everything in my power to make sure he was on my team.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We don't have the resources to trade up to #3. (Only TJ or a CB to throw in. Too many holes to fill with our other choices). The way I see it, either Suggs, Leftwich, Johnson or Newman has to fall to us at #6.

If we can't sign a QB, our best option may turn out to be to draft Leftwich if he's there and bring in someone like Neil O Donnell to keep the seat warm til Byron is ready.

McCown (who frankly hasn't impressed me so far - though he's young) then becomes a very good #3 backup - always with a fair shot at proving he's better than O Donnell or Leftwich or we could always try to trade him and leave Parsons at #3.

The problem now is that, if the Bears sign Kordell, it changes their whole draft strategy - they could draft Suggs or trade out of #4 to a team who wants Leftwich or Suggs.

More and more I feel we should have been taking the pressure off our draft strategy by even overpaying for a free agent QB and a rush-end. There are intangible benefits for doing so - that don't show up on Graves' balance sheet - (a) predictability, (b) stability going into camp, (c) not being painted into a corner at the Draft, (d) having a starting QB in place to learn Sully's system during minicamp. This adds value to the free agents we want IF we sign them early. And we should ante up.

These things are worth money and also increase our chances of winning. I wish Graves would stop obsessing on "not overpaying players" (Don't worry about the other guy getting too much. Just make sure we're getting what we want out of the deal).

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
We don't have the resources to trade up to #3. (Only TJ or a CB to throw in. Too many holes to fill with our other choices). The way I see it, either Suggs, Leftwich, Johnson or Newman has to fall to us at #6.

Would draft picks entice these teams? How about future draft picks, also? What about including Duane Starks?

I agree about Leftwich. If Suggs is gone (wouldn't surprise me), Leftwich is a no-brainer. He also looks like a guy with all the intangibles to succeed. And, teammates seem to gravitate towards him (a special trait).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
Would draft picks entice these teams? How about future draft picks, also? What about including Duane Starks?

I agree about Leftwich. If Suggs is gone (wouldn't surprise me), Leftwich is a no-brainer. He also looks like a guy with all the intangibles to succeed. And, teammates seem to gravitate towards him (a special trait).

Why would we trade our best cover man?

I like Suggs a lot, but he is far from a sure thing. I think we need to stand pat and get who ever falls. We are guaranteed a pretty good player either which way.

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score

When healthy. How many 165 lb. players dominate games?

I like Suggs a lot, but he is far from a sure thing. I think we need to stand pat and get who ever falls. We are guaranteed a pretty good player either which way.

Haven't the Cards been doing this for 80 years, now? Time to try something different.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly

When healthy. How many 165 lb. players dominate games?

Haven't the Cards been doing this for 80 years, now? Time to try something different.

Why create a hole to fix a hole? Not very good logic, imo. Starks was pretty good in coverage last year, and losing him would set us back at the corner position.

Why trade up, when a player that fills a need (and is the best available athlete) WILL fall to us? I would love to land Suggs, but not at the expense of what could be a valuable player or a valuable pick.

stlouiecard

Veteran
Reaction score
My Judgement is not cloudy

Originally posted by Cardinator
I'm an arizona guy and always cheer for A.S.U. I want Suggs too, but I am afraid my bias is clouding my judgement. I haven't seen most of the other guys play that much and am devoted to A.S.U. The guys that watch a lot of college ball seem to like Suggs too. Suggs could be a great one someday.

I am from St. Louis and have never been to an AZ St. game nor do I root for them. Hell, I haven't ever seen Suggs play a down of football and I say let's do what we have to in order to move up in the draft and get him. It has been well documented that Marvin Lewis does not like being in the first position. I'm sure we can do something to make a deal with CINCY.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
You can't make this trade until draft day unless Cincy announces who they are taking. It is not out of the question for the Cards to move up and then watch Cincy take Suggs. Detroit could easily trade down a few slots and then take Johnson instead of Rogers with their trading partner grabbing Suggs.

I will say though it would be worth a couple of draft picks to move up and take Suggs. Forget Jones, he has little value although the Texans might chance him. You can't trade Starks. He will be fine with playing behind a decent rush and with a stronger second corner.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Sly,

Although you and I usually agree, I gotta disagree on this one. I know you want to see Suggs in a Cardinal uniform, but you gotta wait until draft day, that's why there is the 15 min wait between picks in the 1st rd. That gives you time to see who has signed who in FA, who got cut after June 1st, and then you can assess teams needs picking ahead of you, (so you know whether or not dangling Thomas Jones in front of them even interests them).

Also, IMHO, I think we should skip on Suggs. Now before you start screaming at me hear me out.

The teams two glaring needs are QB and ANYONE who can put pressure on the QB. I pray the Cards get Colvin, Okeafor, (and while we are at it Hugh Douglas would be nice).

Problem solved.

Then concentrate as much effort as you are talking about on Leftwich. I've seen the kid play and he is the real deal. I also believe that at the QB position you effect the outcome of the game more than a DE. All the opinions on Jake posted here proves my point. Love him or hate him, one way or another his play had a tremendous effect on the outcome.

I really believe if the scenario I printed out here plays out, there will be reason for good optimism for next season.

P.S. I also believe some of the OT's in this league can throw an undersized guy like Suggs around like a rag doll. Just my opinion.