Trade speculation: Justin Jefferson to Arizona Cardinals

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is way too devoid of talent (also one of the biggest gripes of at least two touting this) to just give away two first round picks in the next two drafts. When you’re likely to get someone almost his equal anyway.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't the key to this is Krk Cousins? I recall reading something that Jefferson really likes playing with Cousins and if he is not re-signed may ask to be traded.

Can they afford to sign both?

Cousins is looking at $45m+ a year. JJ is going to be $30m+.

They have $35m cap space and lost 3 DE's, WR3, both starting guards and starting ILB.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can they afford to sign both?

Cousins is looking at $45m+ a year. JJ is going to be $30m+.

They have $35m cap space and lost 3 DE's, WR3, both starting guards and starting ILB.

For 2024 JJ is currently under the 5th year option at around $20M. So signing him to a new deal will most likely reduce that number this year for the Vikings.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Like Ja'Marr Chase? Puka Nakua? AJ Green, Julio Jones, OBJ, Justin Jefferson himself?

If MHJ is the generational talent his supposed to be then the difference between him and Jefferson will be minimal. Maybe not in year one but certainly over the contract.

Why would anyone want to pay $30m+ for the sure thing when they can get the next to sure thing for sub $10m?

I don't believe MHJ us a generational talent. I think he's really good. He's not going to redefine the WR position. Maybe the difference between him and Jefferson will be minimal, but he's very, very unlikely to exceed Jefferson's production or ability over the next five years of his contract.

So, yes, I'm willing to give up draft pick compensation and some salary cap flexibility to ensure it.

It's not 100% clear you understand what "Facts" are here. Those are all opinions.
Right? The same people on here touting this idea (which is complete nonsense and a waste of air) have been saying how we must draft one of the awesome wide receivers for weeks.

Yes. Because we want the opportunity for an awesome wide receiver. Not because we want to ensure additional salary cap space. Trading for Justin Jefferson ensures that we get an awesome wide receiver.

This team is way too devoid of talent (also one of the biggest gripes of at least two touting this) to just give away two first round picks in the next two drafts. When you’re likely to get someone almost his equal anyway.

If we had Justin Jefferson and a top 10 pick (either 4 or 10), how bad do you expect us to be in 2025 that you think we'll get a guaranteed playmaker? We had the #3 overall pick last year and ended up with Paris Johnson Jr.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Good idea if you have tons of cap space
We have plenty of cap space.
and a solid roster.
How do you plan on building a solid roster? Strictly through the draft? You STILL have pick #4, and your WR need would be immediately solved. We could easily trade down and acquire more picks if you acquire JJ.

We need stars and sure things - a 24 year old that averages 1500 yards a year certainly qualifies. Again - you CAN use FA and trades (in addition to drafting!) to help build a winner.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just dumb nope nope nope…. No need to give up that capitol with the WR talent in this draft…. Especially all the people chiming for it are the ones pretty much saying for the last two months MHJ is gonna be a star with little concern ….

I think the Dumb thing is the idea that the Vikings would even consider trading JJ. He has been arguably the best WR in the league since he came in and he is still only just 24 years old. He is under contract for at least this year and I don't see any reason why the Vikings won't just extend him and lower his cap hit this year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The same people that want the Cardinals to draft MHJ because he is cheaper are the same who will not want to gift him a big money deal when the times comes to do so. (Just draft another guy for cAp sPaCe!)"
Thats a fair point.

In 3 years, Cards fans are going to be ok with giving MHJ 35 million a year if he earns it right?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Vikings have no 2nd rounder. If the 27 was in I would want their 3rd. Then you wash on picks at least

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the article in the OP think that that Vikings would trade #11 and JJ for #4? Deranged.

No you are just theorizing on price. The Vikings want to get into the top of the draft to get a QB.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Justin Jefferson would do for Kyler Murray what Deandre Hopkins - and then some. The question is, can MHJ match that?
Going to say it again.

Remember when we could have got Hopkins and Lamb in the same offseason? Maybe give that a try. However, if Joe Alt becomes Tristan Wirfs level I'd be very happy with that reality as well.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a fair point.

In 3 years, Cards fans are going to be ok with giving MHJ 35 million a year if he earns it right?
The cap will probably be over $300 million when that kind of extension kicks in. It might be a bargain if he lives up to the hype!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard