Toy Story 3

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was really good, but I've got to be honest, I felt like I had seen it before... meaning, I go to a Pixar movie to become immersed in a new world of creativity that I've never seen before, or at least a whole perspective on an already existing genre. This felt like a GREAT version of been there done that.

Much better than Cars, Ratattioulle, but I don't think it's anywhere close to the absolute brilliance of Nemo, Wall-E, TS1/TS2 or Monsters Inc.

Sadly, it looks like Pixar is becoming more and more of a Hollywood studio as it's next two flicks at Cars 2 and Monsters Inc. 2. It's too bad. I mean, those movies will probably better than almost anything else out at the theaters at the time, but I don't have a huge interest in checking them out like I have every Pixar movie before them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was really good, but I've got to be honest, I felt like I had seen it before... meaning, I go to a Pixar movie to become immersed in a new world of creativity that I've never seen before, or at least a whole perspective on an already existing genre. This felt like a GREAT version of been there done that.

Much better than Cars, Ratattioulle, but I don't think it's anywhere close to the absolute brilliance of Nemo, Wall-E, TS1/TS2 or Monsters Inc.

Sadly, it looks like Pixar is becoming more and more of a Hollywood studio as it's next two flicks at Cars 2 and Monsters Inc. 2. It's too bad. I mean, those movies will probably better than almost anything else out at the theaters at the time, but I don't have a huge interest in checking them out like I have every Pixar movie before them.

Wow have to completely disagree. Usually, I feel the same about sequels. Often they feel like the studio is just cashing in by making a sequel. This movie exceeded my expectations. In fact, this is exactly what a sequel should be. If Pixar keeps making sequels of this caliber they can make as many as they want. They will be one of the few studios that give sequels a good name. That's a far cry from what other studios do.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shrek 3 sucked, but this movie is actually quite good.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow have to completely disagree. Usually, I feel the same about sequels. Often they feel like the studio is just cashing in by making a sequel. This movie exceeded my expectations. In fact, this is exactly what a sequel should be. If Pixar keeps making sequels of this caliber they can make as many as they want. They will be one of the few studios that give sequels a good name. That's a far cry from what other studios do.

Yep, normally I'd agree with Cheese on this one but Pixar has shown that it knows how to make a sequel. I've always liked Toy Story 2 better than the original.

Although I do see Cheese's point. It is somewhat dissappointing that the next 2 films are sequels. However I'm not panicing yet. If the next film that follows these is Finding Nemo 2 then it's time to raise the red flag!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I actually don't think we're disagreeing all that much. It was a FANTASTIC sequel, but ultimately, that's all it was to me. A sequel.

I much prefer Pixar to be a place where they keep hitting home-runs with originality than revisit characters I've already seen. That's not to say they aren't GREAT at doing so. I just always admired the company for being such risk-takers, while being fantastic at what they did.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, normally I'd agree with Cheese on this one but Pixar has shown that it knows how to make a sequel. I've always liked Toy Story 2 better than the original.

I actually agree with all of this as well. I just thought we started seeing the same beats in Toy Story 3 that we did in Toy Story 2, which I thought was one of the rare sequels better than the original.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually don't think we're disagreeing all that much. It was a FANTASTIC sequel, but ultimately, that's all it was to me. A sequel.

I much prefer Pixar to be a place where they keep hitting home-runs with originality than revisit characters I've already seen. That's not to say they aren't GREAT at doing so. I just always admired the company for being such risk-takers, while being fantastic at what they did.

OK Gotcha. I just don't really mind sequels and can be just as original. Maybe not from a concept perspective (living toys) but as long as the story is strong that is original to me.

I will say that I am really surprised about Cars 2. It was OK but out of all of the movies to do a sequel on that one surprised me a bit. Monsters 2 and Finding Nemo 2 has alot of uncharted territory IMO. Heck I would have loved to see A Bug's Life 2 long before Cars. That is the only one I am not all that thrilled about.

I also read the Pixar has 2 original films in development at various stages so all is not lost if your not a big sequel fan.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK Gotcha. I just don't really mind sequels and can be just as original. Maybe not from a concept perspective (living toys) but as long as the story is strong that is original to me.

I will say that I am really surprised about Cars 2. It was OK but out of all of the movies to do a sequel on that one surprised me a bit.

Cars is the one that bugs me the most. It's far and away my least favorite of the films and it didn't do insane box office but it destroyed ever other Pixar film in terms of marketing. The cynical side of me says that's why they're making it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You guys also need to take into consideration that most if not all of the character and environment modelling is already done, so the amount of time to create a sequel is substantially less than if it were an original. The animation, of course, will take some time, but at least they only have to enhance the character designs rather than design from the ground up. And let's face it, Cars seems to be one of the easiest to render.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DCR saw this with his kids this weekend. He said it was "good". Maybe he'll give a more in-depth review on here, lol.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Terrific, terrific movie. Probably not in my top 5 Pixar movies, but still pretty good. That's like saying Godfather Part II wasn't quite as good as the first movie--the difference is minimal.

Thinking about it, the quality difference between the best Pixar movie and the "worst" Pixar movie is tiny.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable how good Pixar is.

My wife and I loved it. The kids loved it. I feel sorry for DreamWorks. They stand no chance at the Oscars against the Pixar juggernaut.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope he bought the kids lots of TS3 toys, preferrably from a certain manufacturer. :)

Nope. The kids have so many toys; I don't buy them anymore. They have to use their allowance or birthdays etc to buy more toys for the most part.

I thought the movie was better than 2 but not as good as the original.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I see absolutely no reason to see this movie in a theatre.

lol. It's not playing anywhere else right now. :shrug:

I'm lucky because my kid doesn't like to go to the movies. Imagine that! Man, I save a lot of dough.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I didn't get free tickets from my ex, I wouldn't have seen it either. I make very few exceptions to see movies in theaters that I know I will end up purchasing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are crazy. There just isn't a substitute for a good movie theater experience. This is coming from a Home Theater buff. I love my Home Theater and it will continue to monopolize much of my income for the rest of my life but that doesn't mean I would skip a good movie in the theater.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Blu Ray has replaced the movie experience IMO.

I can Pause to go to the bathroom....
I can see as many movies as I want in a row without being thrown out....
I can Turn the volume up as loud as I want.....
I don't have to tell anyone to shut up....
I can watch it again right away if I am blown away...

But if it was free..... I will always go.

<<<<All of these rules do not apply to the new Batman movies>>>>

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

But if it was free..... I will always go.

<<<<All of these rules do not apply to the new Batman movies>>>>

There is nothing like a movie theater experience. Depressing that people have been turned off from it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing like a movie theater experience. Depressing that people have been turned off from it.

I was just referring to this particular movie. I will still see certain movies in the theatre.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are crazy. There just isn't a substitute for a good movie theater experience. This is coming from a Home Theater buff. I love my Home Theater and it will continue to monopolize much of my income for the rest of my life but that doesn't mean I would skip a good movie in the theater.

Most movies don't require a movie theater experience to enjoy it. Especially movies like Toy Story 3. For some reason, parents think that it is ok to bring children under 2 to these types of movies just because they are free. It comes close to ruining the experience. I wish movie theaters would charge full price for these tickets to deter people from bringing babies to movies.

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dont see any reason to go see any movie in the theatre.. Even before BluRay.. And those reasons you gave anytime are good reasons why.. But Id add a few more.. I dont have to have people around me, I dont have to sit in them lame seats, and I can drink beer and as much as I want at my house.. Plus Im not gonna pay what is it up to now? $15 a person to go see a movie.. And then $10 on some candy and $8 on a drink.. Oh hail nooo.. Movie theatres have always sucked to me.. And I have like 10 free passes to go see movies that my job gave me.. Havent used one of them.. haha

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard