OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From The Wall Street Journal:

In Pixar's coming movie "Toy Story 3," Woody the cowboy and his toy-box friends are dumped in a day-care center after their owner, Andy, leaves for college.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:stupid:

Salaries
[*]Toy Story (1995) $50,000

Im having a REALLY hard time believing that # is accurate. Tim Allen was already a pretty big star when the first one was made. I dont believe he would accept an amounti like that unless he was guaranteed a certain % of the earnings as well.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Im having a REALLY hard time believing that # is accurate. Tim Allen was already a pretty big star when the first one was made. I dont believe he would accept an amounti like that unless he was guaranteed a certain % of the earnings as well.

That's probably the case...especially since it was Pixar's 1st release.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Disney Animation Studios released Meet the Robinsons and it is a great movie. If they would have made TS3 it would have been good.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From The Wall Street Journal:

In Pixar's coming movie "Toy Story 3," Woody the cowboy and his toy-box friends are dumped in a day-care center after their owner, Andy, leaves for college.

This story line will have to be direct to video right? I guess it could be a theatrical release.... hmm.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? I'd guess that any movie that has Tom Hanks in it (and, to a lesser extent, Tim Allen) would be a theatrical release.

Because Disney and their animated studios almost exclusively push sequels to be DTV. Toy Story 2 has already been one of their exceptions in the past though. I could definitely see it being a theatrical release, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a DTV either.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Disney and their animated studios almost exclusively push sequels to be DTV. Toy Story 2 has already been one of their exceptions in the past though. I could definitely see it being a theatrical release, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a DTV either.

Toy Story 3 will be a theatrical release. The plan is that they will re-release the first 2 Toy Story films in 3-D leading up to the new theatrical release of Toy Story 3.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/24/toy-story-1-2-returning-to-theaters-in-3d/

Also, the ousting of Eisner and the insertion of Steve Jobs and John Lasseter is the best thing to happen to Disney. They clearly had lost that "magic". With the Pixar guys taking Disney Animation over things are changing.

Disney will be getting out of the straight to video crapola they have been doing. It has eroded the Disney brand and sapped the quality tag out of Disney. That is great news and the Pixar talent will no doubt breath new life into Disney Animation. They are going back to releasing quality sequels to the theater.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007720817

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toy Story 3 will be a theatrical release. The plan is that they will re-release the first 2 Toy Story films in 3-D leading up to the new theatrical release of Toy Story 3.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/24/toy-story-1-2-returning-to-theaters-in-3d/

Also, the ousting of Eisner and the insertion of Steve Jobs and John Lasseter is the best thing to happen to Disney. They clearly had lost that "magic". With the Pixar guys taking Disney Animation over things are changing.

Disney will be getting out of the straight to video crapola they have been doing. It has eroded the Disney brand and sapped the quality tag out of Disney. That is great news and the Pixar talent will no doubt breath new life into Disney Animation.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007720817

I read an article stating that DTV crap months ago. Since then though, sequel after sequel still gets churned out. I'm sure that it is hard for them to stop though, those movies make Disney a fortune.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read an article stating that DTV crap months ago. Since then though, sequel after sequel still gets churned out. I'm sure that it is hard for them to stop though, those movies make Disney a fortune.

I read on another site a list of Disney movies that were already in the pipeline that they were too far along to cancel. It sounds like those are still coming out. However, it's clear John Lasseter wants to change things. He is calling the shots now and things are a changing. I think it's great that Disney is getting back to it's roots.

What is more interesting though is that Lasseter has also clearly stated that Disney is not going CGI only despite Pixar taking over Disney Animation. It appears that he wants to help revive standard animation as well. It looks like longer waits between Disney sequel releases. I am all for it though if that mean no more Disney crapanimation.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read on another site a list of Disney movies that were already in the pipeline that they were too far along to cancel. It sounds like those are still coming out. However, it's clear John Lasseter wants to change things. He is calling the shots now and things are a changing. I think it's great that Disney is getting back to it's roots.

What is more interesting though is that Lasseter has also clearly stated that Disney is not going CGI only despite Pixar taking over Disney Animation. It appears that he wants to help revive standard animation as well.

Good luck with the standard animation. For some reason, I think that they just won't do as well from now on. You may have a hit or two, but CGI is going to become/stay mainstream.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the standard animation. For some reason, I think that they just won't do as well from now on. You may have a hit or two, but CGI is going to become/stay mainstream.

I agree. Kids now seem to like the realism of CGI much better then traditional animation. However, Disney has a deep library of characters and history to just abandon traditional animation. Besides kids still love cartoons too.

If anybody can revive traditional animation it will be the creative talent of Pixar.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Kids now seem to like the realism of CGI much better then traditional animation. However, Disney has a deep library of characters and history to abandon traditional animation.

Besides kids still love cartoons too. If anybody can revive traditional animation it will be the creative talent of Pixar.

Very true. I am a Disney sucker, and love most of it. Even some of the DTV crap is pretty good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You guys know that Pixar has never released a movie straight to DVD, right? Why would they start with Toy Story 3, possibly their biggest license?

And yes, CGI is great, but think about the CGI stuff that has come out recently--it has been pretty craptastic, outside of the Pixar stuff. Dreamworks and Fox haven't had a great track record, even with great licenses like Ice Age and Shrek.

You ask any young kid today, would they watch Hoodwinked or Little Mermaid? Guess which one they'd pick. Yep, Little Mermaid. Don't underestimate the draw of traditional animation (as well as the cost -- and time -- saving in producing them).

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You ask any young kid today, would they watch Hoodwinked or Little Mermaid? Guess which one they'd pick. Yep, Little Mermaid.

Well... for starters, "Hoodwinked" is not a children's film. While "The Little Mermaid" is considered a family film, Hoodwinked is geared more toward adult humor, but done in such a way that kids will sorta enjoy it, too.

While your overall point of CGI versus traditional animation might well be correct, your movie comparison was off base, IMHO. ;)

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Unbelievably good. If you are easy to cry better bring some tissues cause the theatre was full of tears (in a good way). Pixar is just amazing with their movies and they sure don't miss on this one.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toy Story 3

Release Date: June 18, 2010 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
Studio: Disney•Pixar
Director: Lee Unkrich
Screenwriter: Michael Arndt
Genre: Adventure, Animation, Comedy, Family
MPAA Rating: G
Official Website: Disney.com/ToyStory

Starring: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Don Rickles, Wallace Shawn, John Ratzenberger, Estelle Harris, John Morris, Laurie Metcalf, R. Lee Ermey, Jodi Benson, Ned Beatty, Michael Keaton, Timothy Dalton, Jeff Garlin, Bonnie Hunt, Whoopi Goldberg, Kristen Schaal, Blake Clark

Plot Summary: The creators of the beloved "Toy Story" films re-open the toy box and bring moviegoers back to the delightful world of our favorite gang of toy characters in "Toy Story 3." As Andy prepares to depart for college, Buzz, Woody and the rest of his loyal toys are troubled about their uncertain future. Directed by Lee Unkrich (co-director of "Toy Story 2" and "Finding Nemo"), "Toy Story 3" is a comical new adventure in Disney Digital 3D that lands the toys in a room full of untamed tots who can't wait to get their sticky little fingers on these "new" toys. It's pandemonium as they try to stay together, ensuring "no toy gets left behind." Meanwhile, Barbie comes face to plastic face with Ken (yes, that Ken).

You must be registered for see images attach

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was great.

Pixar home run again. Amazing at intertwining overarching emotional/rite of passage themes into these movies.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=67166

Disney•Pixar's Toy Story 3 opened to an estimated $41 million on Friday, a new record first day for an animated film surpassing Shrek the Third's $38.4 million. Playing in 4,025 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters, the movie could reach $120 million for the weekend, which is easily the best opening for a Pixar film. The Incredibles was the company's previous best opener with $70.5 million.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a fantastic movie! Every bit as good as the first 2!

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll be seeing it soon, Pixar has won my loyalty.

But as a side note, if you haven't re-read the first page of this thread, do so, it's pretty neat to see how herky-jerky not only this development process has been, but the changes Disney's gone through.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hands down one of the best films of the year. My kids loved it, My wife and I both loved it as well. When a movie can make you forget your watching a CGI movie about plastic toys and those same people get caught up in the emotion of a scene...you know it's damn good.

Simply the best Pixar film to date IMO.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it. Rotten Tomatoes has it weighed in at a whopping 98%