Todd Haley fired in KC

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So the Max Komar, Leonard Pope, Tim Castille, Steve Breaston, Tyler Palko meal ticket just got fired?

Yeah, people here complain about the Cardinals being Steelers West. I'm sure KC fans are thrilled about the Chiefs being Cardinals Midwest.

This does make Whiz look pretty good though. Another coordinator/never head coach that bit the dust. How many is that? Martz, Childress, Wade Philips, Spagnola (about to bite it). How many coordinator/never head coaches have ever even succeeded as HC? There is Rex Ryan. I can't think of any others. There's probably millions though right?

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
I think that Dave McGinnis would make a great college HC. I don't know if he's just not interested, or if he doesn't have the connections, or what. 60 years old, and apparently he turned down the DC job in Tennessee last year.

Also, he seems to have put on some weight since he was here:

You must be registered for see images

WOW... that hardly looks like the same guy that once coached the Cards.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd take him back as the OC. He might be too much of a jerk to be a HC, but he's an innovative OC, and it's good to have a couple coaches around who can challenge Whis on some decisions.

While the quotes from Whis aren't a sure sign that Todd is coming back here, Whis doesn't exactly close the door, either.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2011/12/12/whiz-talks-kolb-recovery-haley-and-other-stuff/
– Whisenhunt was asked about former offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who was fired as the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs Monday. Whisenhunt said it was “premature” to talk about Haley possibly returning to Arizona. Calling Haley “a good friend” he said he believes Haley will have multiple options as coach going forward.

We shouldn't allow modest success to fool us. The offense still isn't right. We're 24th in the league in points, 22nd in yards and 30th in third down %. It's not time to get comfortable.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lmao.. No shock there...
I'm shocked.

He's been dealt a pretty rough hand this season with the aforementioned injuries and is only one year removed from the division championship.

I think this was the wrong move by the Chiefs brass.

JMHO

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah, people here complain about the Cardinals being Steelers West. I'm sure KC fans are thrilled about the Chiefs being Cardinals Midwest.

This does make Whiz look pretty good though. Another coordinator/never head coach that bit the dust. How many is that? Martz, Childress, Wade Philips, Spagnola (about to bite it). How many coordinator/never head coaches have ever even succeeded as HC? There is Rex Ryan. I can't think of any others. There's probably millions though right?

Lovie Smith. Leslie Frazier. Mike Tomlin. Tony Dungy. Jon Gruden. Mike Smith. Sean Payton. John Fox. Mike Shanahan.

If you don't go through the coordinator ranks to find your head coaches, you'd still have guys like Marty Schottenheimer getting jobs.

Andy Reid was hired as head coach of the Eagles after only being the QBs coach for Favre in Green Bay.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lovie Smith. Leslie Frazier. Mike Tomlin. Tony Dungy. Jon Gruden. Mike Smith. Sean Payton. John Fox. Mike Shanahan.

If you don't go through the coordinator ranks to find your head coaches, you'd still have guys like Marty Schottenheimer getting jobs.

Andy Reid was hired as head coach of the Eagles after only being the QBs coach for Favre in Green Bay.

Add Vince Lombardi to the list.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
[BuQUOTE=Dayman;2560037]I'd take him back as the OC. He might be too much of a jerk to be a HC, but he's an innovative OC, and it's good to have a couple coaches around who can challenge Whis on some decisions.

While the quotes from Whis aren't a sure sign that Todd is coming back here, Whis doesn't exactly close the door, either.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2011/12/12/whiz-talks-kolb-recovery-haley-and-other-stuff/

We shouldn't allow modest success to fool us. The offense still isn't right. We're 24th in the league in points, 22nd in yards and 30th in third down %. It's not time to get comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Mike Miller is designing 40+ yard plays every week with qbs worse than Tyler Palko. That's enough innovation for me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mike Miller is designing 40+ yard plays every week with qbs worse than Tyler Palko. That's enough innovation for me.

This is enough. There aren't QBs in the NFL worse than Tyler Palko. Max Hall is wondering how that guy got a roster spot.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

Too add to your list; Mike Mccarthy, Bill Belichick, Chan Gailey, Rex Ryan, Jim Schwartz etc..

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Too add to your list; Mike Mccarthy, Bill Belichick, Chan Gailey, Rex Ryan, Jim Schwartz etc..

I swear I wrote McCarthy...

...but I think that his argument is that you want promising former head coaches to take over your job? Guys like Norv Turner and Wade Phillips, I guess? That would leave out Gailey (Cowboys) and Belicheck (Browns).

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I swear I wrote McCarthy...

...but I think that his argument is that you want promising former head coaches to take over your job? Guys like Norv Turner and Wade Phillips, I guess? That would leave out Gailey (Cowboys) and Belicheck (Browns).
I've always liked the idea of having a coordinator rather than a previous HC. They get to sit back and see how things are ran, and get the luxury of foresight; What headcoaching style works, what doesn't, how players respond to different coaching techniques etc...Once someone becomes a HC, they usually stick to their 'forumla' and don't really adapt to changing situations. Where as, when you get a coordinator with no HC experience, they are a lot more open to new ideas and you get a fresh approach. That's always been my thought process anyways :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I've always liked the idea of having a coordinator rather than a previous HC. They get to sit back and see how things are ran, and get the luxury of foresight; What headcoaching style works, what doesn't, how players respond to different coaching techniques etc...Once someone becomes a HC, they usually stick to their 'forumla' and don't really adapt to changing situations. Where as, when you get a coordinator with no HC experience, they are a lot more open to new ideas and you get a fresh approach. That's always been my thought process anyways :)

I don't know. Depends on the guy. You can't really argue that Whis came in here and was super-flexible and willing to try different things. He immediately dictated that we were going to run a 3-4 defense regardless of personnel and started throwing the ball all over the place.

On the other hand, Wade Phillips and Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer are guys who have proven that they can come in and turn a program around. They're maybe not going to get you over the hump, but they can build something to put in place. You could say the same thing about Denny Green.

And Bill Belicheck was a retread when he came to New England. It's easy to say these guys worked out, but no one mentions the Mike Nolans, Eric Manginis, Mike Shermans, Dave McGinnises, etc., etc.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
This is enough. There aren't QBs in the NFL worse than Tyler Palko. Max Hall is wondering how that guy got a roster spot.

Regardless, they are still bottom of the barrel. Hard to expect a offense to score 20+ every week with the qbs at his disposal and a rb who only shows up every 3 weeks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Regardless, they are still bottom of the barrel. Hard to expect a offense to score 20+ every week with the qbs at his disposal and a rb who only shows up every 3 weeks.

No, they're not. Skelton and Kolb might be the worst starting quarterbacks in the NFL that aren't Blaine Gabbert, but no one thinks that they don't deserve a place in the NFL.

I don't think that Tyler Palko would start in the UFL. He's awful.

It helps that Miller has Larry Fitzgerald--one of the three best WRs in the NFL--to work with.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Having Tyler Palko as your backup alone is a fireable offense. I guess one of the many problems is that Haley wouldn't let Stanzi play and stuck with Palko.

I don't want him back here unless one of the offensive assisstants moves on. Then, I'd look at him. He's a good coach but this board gives him way too much credit for the SB run.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
and Haley having nothing to do with the SB is pure lunacy. Sure, Warner changed some plays at the line of scrimmage...changed them to plays Haley had also drawn up. I also bet you that there would also be some intensity on the sidelines, a few arguments and I also bet you Doucet and Roberts would be unhappy players who would be playing even better with the extreme character of Haley pushing them to another level.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The big plays are great, but we still need to do a much better job sustaining drives. The defense has been on the field way too often this year. That tends to happen when your offense only puts up 9 yards of offense in the first quarter like they did yesterday.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haley's first year in KC the offesens SUCKED.
Then Weiss comes in and the O is very good.
Then Weiss is gone and the O SUCKS.
Haley leaves the Cards and the O isn't as productive as his last year but still very very good. In fact Warner had some amazing games.

I'm not sure how all the above causes one to draw the conclussion that Haley is a genius.

How some are holding Whiz to a standard of screwing up our QB situation and yet defending Haley because he has Palko as his back up now starter.

I liked Haley as our OC but I'm not all amped up to get him back. Last couple of games everyone has been praising Whiz for the half time adjustments and the overall playcalling. Is it possible the Miller is behind some or most of this? Or was he the one calling what many called crappy games and now Whiz is stepping in more?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and Haley having nothing to do with the SB is pure lunacy. Sure, Warner changed some plays at the line of scrimmage...changed them to plays Haley had also drawn up. I also bet you that there would also be some intensity on the sidelines, a few arguments and I also bet you Doucet and Roberts would be unhappy players who would be playing even better with the extreme character of Haley pushing them to another level.

Haley ran Whiz's offense. Just an FYI.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
sorry Shane, guess he had no input and those play where all drawn up by Whis and his ultimate love for Whis made Haley get into heated arguments with Warner. My bad :D

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last couple of games everyone has been praising Whiz for the half time adjustments and the overall playcalling. Is it possible the Miller is behind some or most of this? Or was he the one calling what many called crappy games and now Whiz is stepping in more?

That's a good question. I'd also like to know.

Actually I didn't even have an argument. For some reason, I was under the impression that most successful NFL head coaches were head coaches at a different level first. Shows what I know. :D

Something tells me though that Haley's ego would never allow him to go back to being an OC. Like others have said, I bet he would take a head coaching job in college before going back to being the #2 guy somewhere.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen