Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
As expected teams value cap space more than an average player, this doesn't shock me at all, I knew the late 1st round pick was a pipe dream

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the Pacers may pursue Rubio. They had the money to do it anyway.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Lets hope they get him. He stinks - but it tells you what they think of Corey Joseph.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Suns telegraphed this move for months, which is how you turn an asset into a liability. Does anyone here seriously believe he wouldn't get his current contract on the open market?

Now some are expecting the current management who completely bungled this situation to parlay the cap space into something useful? It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Suns telegraphed this move for months, which is how you turn an asset into a liability. Does anyone here seriously believe he wouldn't get his current contract on the open market?

Now some are expecting the current management who completely bungled this situation to parlay the cap space into something useful? It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.
Sure he could get around the same money in free agency, but you don't have to give up assets to sign a free agent. Ultimately I don't think he is thought highly enough of to both have teams willing to pay his salary and give up valuable assets to sign him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So the Suns currently have $21M in cap space.
Yes. Plus 9 mil cap hold with Oubre. If we renounce Oubre we have 30 mil. If we resign Oubre, he's already counting 9 mil already, so if we sign him at 17 mil, we will only lose 8 mil of that 21.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Plus 9 mil cap hold with Oubre. If we renounce Oubre we have 30 mil. If we resign Oubre, he's already counting 9 mil already, so if we sign him at 17 mil, we will only lose 8 mil of that 21.

If Oubre waits to sign the Suns have lots of money to spend.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Geez, what a stupid move.

Even extending TJ Warren was a stupid mistake. Now the Suns succeeded to duplicate it.

I honestly consider quitting from following the team if they will spend cap space on Russell.
No, because no one would trade for him with only 1 year left on contract. They talked about that yesterday. If it's a good contract signing, it's an asset.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not for cash - it's for cap space - and a free agent.

I am not happy it cost the #32 pick though.

On pure ability this is a huge steal for the Pacers but I could care less about the 2nd round pick we gave up.

Things must have been real bad with Warren here because a good half season of play and he'd have been a target for a lot of teams. All I can hope for is that he continue his "I think I'll be injured for a month or two" streak that ran throughout his tenure in Phoenix, otherwise we are going to look like world class chumps when he averages an efficient 18 and 8 for the next decade.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We would wait to sign Oubre until after we sign other free agents. We would come to terms with him but sign him last so it would not affect available space. This is common practice to maximize cap space.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Sure he could get around the same money in free agency, but you don't have to give up assets to sign a free agent.

Ha, maybe you missed the details trade. WE gave away a pick to dump TJ.

This FO group couldn't have made it more obvious that they were desperate to get rid of Warren - because of that, they turned a decent player on a good contract into something that required giving a legit asset away.

"but the cap space!?!"

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about cap space. No one is coming here who isn't scraped from the bottom of the free agency barrel. Only now, I guess instead of just overpaying one mediocrity, we can overpay two or three.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
On pure ability this is a huge steal for the Pacers but I could care less about the 2nd round pick we gave up.

Things must have been real bad with Warren here because a good half season of play and he'd have been a target for a lot of teams. All I can hope for is that he continue his "I think I'll be injured for a month or two" streak that ran throughout his tenure in Phoenix, otherwise we are going to look like world class chumps when he averages an efficient 18 and 8 for the next decade.
Warren isn't some world beater he's definitely not averaging that for the next decade , he's a one dimensional player , and too the sun's was not worth the cap space they could have without him

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
What top level free agent would want to sign with this crap team?

Another pissed away asset.

Barring some miracle this offseason I am basically done with this team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am pretty sure #32 was viewed as useless. They don't want more rookies. #32 trade is a salary dump, in my opinion.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ha, maybe you missed the details trade. WE gave away a pick to dump TJ.

This FO group couldn't have made it more obvious that they were desperate to get rid of Warren - because of that, they turned a decent player on a good contract into something that required giving a legit asset away.

"but the cap space!?!"
I didn't say it was a good trade. I am simply pointing out that anyone that thought we would be getting assets trading him were overvaluing TJ. It certainly would have been nice if we didn't have to add assets to the trade to make it happen, but if we can get someone good in free agency with that space than it won't be so bad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in wait and see mode on the Warren trade to see if we actually use that cap space to sign someone who can make an impact. I'm dubious that will/can, but won't kill them for this trade at this point.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Looks like we just effectively traded TJ Warren, #6 and #32 for Dario freaking Saric (i.e., Bender part deux) and #11. We just got majorly hosed. $arver is still running the show, and it's still all about extra $$$ going in his pocket.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like we just effectively traded TJ Warren, #6 and #32 for Dario freaking Saric (i.e., Bender part deux) and #11. We just got majorly hosed. $arver is still running the show, and it's still all about extra $$$ going in his pocket.

I am guessing the Suns were always on Clarke so the trade down is just getting the guy they wanted at 6.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am guessing the Suns were always on Clarke so the trade down is just getting the guy they wanted at 6.

Possibly, but Clarke's ceiling is an energy guy off the bench. We still have two gaping holes in the starting line-up and no way to fill them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose