TJ Warren Traded to Pacers

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warren isn't some world beater he's definitely not averaging that for the next decade , he's a one dimensional player , and too the sun's was not worth the cap space they could have without him

I laugh every time I hear one dimensional player. It used to be fans would use that phrase for players that could only rebound or block shots, set picks and maybe for those that could just catch and shoot. But this game is ultimately about scoring the ball and he does that well with or without help. I never said or implied that he was a world beater so thanks for that nonsense.

And IF he stays healthy, get back to me in 5 years about how limited he is. IMO he's going to be just barely outside the all star game for the next several years. I'm not sure we made the wrong decision, I don't know how bad the chemistry has become between him and his teammates and management. But purely from a value standpoint, we just had our pockets picked and our butts kicked.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I laugh every time I hear one dimensional player. It used to be fans would use that phrase for players that could only rebound or block shots, set picks and maybe for those that could just catch and shoot. But this game is ultimately about scoring the ball and he does that well with or without help. I never said or implied that he was a world beater so thanks for that nonsense.

And IF he stays healthy, get back to me in 5 years about how limited he is. IMO he's going to be just barely outside the all star game for the next several years. I'm not sure we made the wrong decision, I don't know how bad the chemistry has become between him and his teammates and management. But purely from a value standpoint, we just had our pockets picked and our butts kicked.

And they just traded #6 for another one-dimensional player in Saric, only Saric's one dimension (shooting) is even worse than Warren's (scoring).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am pretty sure #32 was viewed as useless. They don't want more rookies. #32 trade is a salary dump, in my opinion.
Yep. Couldn’t have hoped for a Gilbert arenas or Carlos boozer level player. No need for that asset.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dumping salary can be the same as a trade. I will reserve judgement until this is finished. I have a hunch the is basically an Oubre for Warren trade. Letting Oubre walk would have been essentially the same thing. We had to choose. I had hoped we would have gotten more for Warren, though.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Suns FO: "We tried our best to clear space to sign Kawhi (Kyrie, Kemba, etc.). It's not our fault he decided to go somewhere else that isn't an NBA graveyard.

But just wait until NEXT year. We'll have SOOO MUCH cap space!"

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dumping salary can be the same as a trade. I will reserve judgement until this is finished. I have a hunch the is basically an Oubre for Warren trade. Letting Oubre walk would have been essentially the same thing. We had to choose. I had hoped we would have gotten more for Warren, though.
We only had to choose if we are signing someone else or being cheap. If Oubre is the only signing we didn’t have to choose.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in wait and see mode on the Warren trade to see if we actually use that cap space to sign someone who can make an impact. I'm dubious that will/can, but won't kill them for this trade at this point.

This. However, now seeing that we traded the 6th for a contract that will expire next season? It's looking very suspect. Again, depends on if we use the cap space.

I want everyone to comeback to these two trades though if the Suns over the next couple seasons end up signing more scrubs or guys we had to overpay just to come here.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

18 and 8 for ten years? I had a bit of a hyperbole sure but in the spirit of not arguing I propose a friendly wager , barring injuries.. my guess for next year is he averages 13 pts and 6 rebs and if we get another PF like randle he will have a better statistical year in every catagory but 3pt

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
18 and 8 for ten years? I had a bit of a hyperbole sure but in the spirit of not arguing I propose a friendly wager , barring injuries.. my guess for next year is he averages 13 pts and 6 rebs and if we get another PF like randle he will have a better statistical year in every catagory but 3pt

It will depend on health and minutes IMO but I do agree that Randle would probably equal or better his stats. I just don't think we'll get Julius. But I'm okay with leaving it at the friendly wager stage.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Well, the power forward we just got instead has career averages of 12.7 points and 6.2 rebounds on 43.3% shooting (35.8% from the 3) with numbers bottoming out at 10.5 points and 5.5 rebounds on 45.4% shooting (38.3% from the 3) last year.

Oh, and he is one of the few who in the NBA who is a worse defender at the power forward position than Warren was.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Well, the power forward we just got instead has career averages of 12.7 points and 6.2 rebounds on 43.3% shooting (35.8% from the 3) with numbers bottoming out at 10.5 points and 5.5 rebounds on 45.4% shooting (38.3% from the 3) last year.

Oh, and he is one of the few who in the NBA who is a worse defender at the power forward position than Warren was.
That's why I put the word another after that trade had happened because I'm not overly thrilled about that one

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
It will depend on health and minutes IMO but I do agree that Randle would probably equal or better his stats. I just don't think we'll get Julius. But I'm okay with leaving it at the friendly wager stage.
Alright and after free agency if we didn't get someone like randle or dlo with the cap space I'll admit that the trade wasn't a success

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am guessing the Suns were always on Clarke so the trade down is just getting the guy they wanted at 6.

If you look at tankathon, Clarke is their #4 guy, and is very efficent.

If he gets a jumper he could be a good player.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I am pretty sure #32 was viewed as useless. They don't want more rookies. #32 trade is a salary dump, in my opinion.

Except it's not. The cap hold for second-round picks is zero, and if you draft a player you don't want, you don't have to sign him. The only reason to give up a second-round pick is if you have to.

Also, doesn't most of this board believe that an early second-round pick is more valuable than a late first?