Tirico, Theismann, Kornheiser to call ESPN's MNF games

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
espn said:
Monday Night Football will have a new broadcast team when it debuts on ESPN, its new home, in 2006.

Mike Tirico, Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser will be part of a three-man booth calling the games on Monday nights next season and Suzy Kolber and Michelle Tafoya will be sideline reporters. Kolber and Tafoya both reported from the sidelines for ABC during Super Bowl XL.

Also, ESPN announced that Mike Breen will be its new lead NBA play-by-play announcer, teaming with analyst Hubie Brown for ABC telecasts beginning Feb. 12 and including the NBA Finals.

"This Monday Night Football team enthusiastically embraces our vision for sports television's signature series. We will propel MNF into a 21st century, all-day, exclusive, multi-media event that will engage fans in entirely new ways. This team will develop great chemistry," ESPN Executive Vice President John Skipper said.

"Mike Breen is widely respected for his depth of NBA knowledge and his consummate play-by-play skill. We are very excited to provide such a spectacular forum as the NBA Finals to showcase his talents."

In addition, Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon will take Pardon The Interruption on the road on Mondays during the football season, as the shows will air from the site of ESPN's Monday Night Football games.

"We look to the future with great enthusiasm and a strong commitment to enhance the presentation of the NFL and the NBA, two of our most important sports properties," ESPN and ABC Sports President George Bodenheimer said.

Sweet. I love Kornheiser. His show on ESPN radio was so much better than the lunkhead, Cowherd who is on there now.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:
espn said:
Monday Night Football will have a new broadcast team when it debuts on ESPN, its new home, in 2006.

Mike Tirico, Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser will be part of a three-man booth calling the games on Monday nights next season and Suzy Kolber and Michelle Tafoya will be sideline reporters. Kolber and Tafoya both reported from the sidelines for ABC during Super Bowl XL.

Also, ESPN announced that Mike Breen will be its new lead NBA play-by-play announcer, teaming with analyst Hubie Brown for ABC telecasts beginning Feb. 12 and including the NBA Finals.

"This Monday Night Football team enthusiastically embraces our vision for sports television's signature series. We will propel MNF into a 21st century, all-day, exclusive, multi-media event that will engage fans in entirely new ways. This team will develop great chemistry," ESPN Executive Vice President John Skipper said.

"Mike Breen is widely respected for his depth of NBA knowledge and his consummate play-by-play skill. We are very excited to provide such a spectacular forum as the NBA Finals to showcase his talents."

In addition, Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon will take Pardon The Interruption on the road on Mondays during the football season, as the shows will air from the site of ESPN's Monday Night Football games.

"We look to the future with great enthusiasm and a strong commitment to enhance the presentation of the NFL and the NBA, two of our most important sports properties," ESPN and ABC Sports President George Bodenheimer said.

Sweet. I love Kornheiser. His show on ESPN radio was so much better than the lunkhead, Cowherd who is on there now.

I thought ESPN originally announced that Al Michaels would be calling these games with Theismann. When did this change? Where is Al going to be now?

OP
OP
Billy Flynt

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
masterphomeg said:
I thought ESPN originally announced that Al Michaels would be calling these games with Theismann. When did this change? Where is Al going to be now?

Michaels never made up his mind. There was speculation but apparently he prefers working with Madden and will probably do Sunday Nights

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I have to say "Ugghhh Kornkeiser".not a big fan of his but..OH well...at least there's MNF still...:thumbup:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seriously.. I didn't know Kornheiser did color. just hope my mute button works in case it gets outta hand.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tirico calls a pretty smooth game. I like Kornheiser alot. Theismann tends to get out of hand, but maybe Kornheiser will be good and push him a lot to back up his opinions.

Michaels is OK, but he defers to Madden way too much, and I've never been a gigantic Madden fan. I was kind of hoping the NBC broadcast would bring back Enberg. Maybe I'm the only person on Earth who likes a Dick Enberg called game?? :shrug:

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Michaels/Madden show is worn out. I really wished that NBC could have found someone else, but I understand wanting to make a splash in a market they haven't had in a while.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Tirico calls a pretty smooth game. I like Kornheiser alot. Theismann tends to get out of hand, but maybe Kornheiser will be good and push him a lot to back up his opinions.

Michaels is OK, but he defers to Madden way too much, and I've never been a gigantic Madden fan. I was kind of hoping the NBC broadcast would bring back Enberg. Maybe I'm the only person on Earth who likes a Dick Enberg called game?? :shrug:

I like Enberg a lot! Knows exactly when to talk, and when to pipe down.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If there is football on NBC.... Bob Costas must be involved somehow!!!

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:

Is he going to be in the studio??

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to say "Ugghhh Kornkeiser
Well, at least we didn't get Wilpon too.

What happens to Paul Maguire - one of my favorites?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Cowherd's radio show 1000x more than I liked Kornheiser.

I wish they would have kept Mike Patrick (ESPN Sunday Nights) in the booth somehow.

A-Bomb

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:

Wow, do I have to disagree there. I dislike your taste as much as possible, sir :)

OP
OP
Billy Flynt

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Stout said:
Wow, do I have to disagree there. I dislike your taste as much as possible, sir :)

At least we share the same taste in beverages. :beer:

I couldn't stand Kornheiser at first but as I listened more, the show really grew on me. Cowherd on the other hand says the same sentence 10 different ways and wastes 30 minutes on a topic. Even he admits that after about 6 minutes with him, most people find him disagreeable.

Gak!

Give me Mike and Mike, Dan Patrick (welcome back KO at least for an hour) and bring back Tony's "This Show Stinks!"

JMHO

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:

What he said!

I think that Costas is one of the best around, for all sports.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well since we are dreaming how about the greatest duo ever...

Micheals and Costas!!!

"YOU'RE EXCITED?! FEEL THESE NIPPLES!!"

"And just think, only a few years ago, those girls were still in grades school. Hmmm hmmmmmmmmm thhhhm"

I love it when people can laugh at themselves.

... also what's the point of having sideline reporters? I've never seen them garner any remotely usefull information that couldn't be discreetly relayed to the booth via normal chains of inquiry. Now MNF has two? Greeeeeat.

I like PTI so I'm intrested to see how Tony K will play out on the national stage. I thought the Sunday Night team from ESPN was awful so I'm crushed to see anyone from that on MNF.

OC Card

Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I was kind of hoping the NBC broadcast would bring back Enberg. Maybe I'm the only person on Earth who likes a Dick Enberg called game??

I am right there with you NEZ. I love listening to an Enberg game.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
abomb said:
I like Cowherd's radio show 1000x more than I liked Kornheiser.

I wish they would have kept Mike Patrick (ESPN Sunday Nights) in the booth somehow.

A-Bomb

Mike Patrick calls an excellent game. What's he going to be doing now???? College????

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
masterphomeg said:
Mike Patrick calls an excellent game. What's he going to be doing now???? College????

I agree, I'd hope he'd be paired with Maguire, those 2 might be better off w/o Theissman. Not sure how jumping Networks would work though. :thumbup:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what Al Michaels is goimg to be doing :shrug:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard