Thunder @ Suns Friday game thread 2-24-2023

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns finish their three game home stand when they play the Thunder on Friday, 2-24-2023.

Suns are now 32-28 after their loss to the Clippers.

The Thunder play at the Jazz on Thursday, so they will be playing the Suns on the second night of back-to-back games. As of this writing, they are 28-29.

When: Friday, February 24th

Television: ESPN, Bally Sports Arizona

Radio: KMVP 98.7 / S: KSUN

Time: 8:00 pm Arizona Time

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Durant will figure it out with the training staff if he will play Friday against OKC.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It should be the return of Cam Payne against his former team, OKC! Anything else noteworthy about this game I'm missing?
SGA vs. Book should be a fun matchup. Shai is a bucket. He’s basically a DeRozan clone with more emphasis on handles/getting to the basket at this stage. Should be a fun one.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As discussed, Friday should mark the return of Cam Payne.

By Duane Rankin, Arizona Republic:

Cameron Payne said after last Thursday’s shootaround he’s set to return from a right foot sprain this Friday.

“It’s been tough,” said Payne, who hasn’t played since Jan. 4 at Cleveland. “I probably say the toughest part is coming to the gym every day and watching the guys play, especially when I want to play so bad. It’s been kind of tough. I’m ready to play, like I said, Feb. 24. I can’t wait. OKC game.”

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Kevin Durant's return will be March 1st at the Hornets.

Repeating earlier post.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Kevin Durant's return will be March 1st at the Hornets.

Repeating earlier post.

Initially he was to be evaluated in the 3rd week of January and expectations were that he'd be back soon after that. Since then there have been several targeted (or rumored) return dates. It's probably best we don't get our hopes too high on his return date.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Initially he was to be evaluated in the 3rd week of January and expectations were that he'd be back soon after that. Since then there have been several targeted (or rumored) return dates. It's probably best we don't get our hopes too high on his return date.

Yes. The Suns have banked their future on the recovery of an injured player and the hope the team can come together in a relatively short period of time. This is really nothing new.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. The Suns have banked their future on the recovery of an injured player and the hope the team can come together in a relatively short period of time. This is really nothing new.
I'm not too worried about Durant getting up to speed but it's complicated by the fact we've been playing with a makeshift roster all season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about Durant getting up to speed but it's complicated by the fact we've been playing with a makeshift roster all season.
Monty basically said he is plugging Durant into the existing offense because he plays exactly like Book and CP3 (midrange). So, it’s an existing scheme Durant already plays. They think the biggest adjustment is going to be for CP3 and him knowing when to go to Ayton, when to defer to Book or Durant.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty basically said he is plugging Durant into the existing offense because he plays exactly like Book and CP3 (midrange). So, it’s an existing scheme Durant already plays. They think the biggest adjustment is going to be its CP3 and him knowing when to go to Ayton, when to defer to Book or Durant.
Makes sense.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense.
The one thing I have been thinking about? I don’t think our backup PGs are going to get much “General” time like CP3. Durant has been more a point forward his entire career. Book can also handle in spots. With those two, I can see them running the offense when CP3 goes to the bench. I think our backup Guards likely take the biggest hit in terms of the ball in their hands.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oddly I think that kind of plays to our advantage because the addition of Durant won’t disrupt an established flow. The whole thing needs to be rebuilt on the fly prior to the playoffs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Monty basically said he is plugging Durant into the existing offense because he plays exactly like Book and CP3 (midrange). So, it’s an existing scheme Durant already plays. They think the biggest adjustment is going to be for CP3 and him knowing when to go to Ayton, when to defer to Book or Durant.
That makes a lot of sense. Two big scorers figuring out how to work an offense together instead of just taking turns scoring.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The one thing I have been thinking about? I don’t think our backup PGs are going to get much “General” time like CP3. Durant has been more a point forward his entire career. Book can also handle in spots. With those two, I can see them running the offense when CP3 goes to the bench. I think our backup Guards likely take the biggest hit in terms of the ball in their hands.
That’s not terrible. It allows Payne to just be a scorer which means less decisionmaking. Which I think is a good thing. The other guys? Just let them drop wide open treys on the defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And the Sun's record reflects this. They have to hope that everyone gets healthy and comes together in the remaining games and peak in the playoffs. However, there are a number of other teams hoping for the same thing.

I'm not worried about a healthy Durant. I saw him carry the U.S. Olympic team to a Gold medal.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm kind of looking forward to a Durant and Ayton pNr. Getting excited but i'm sure it will take a few games to gel. The first game is always a honeymoon, i'm curious to see how things unfold after 5 games with KD in the lineup.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Durant is OUT.

Cam Payne is QUESTIONANLE.

Landry Shamet is OUT.