This Team is About To Be Broken Up!

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't post that knowing what Hallibution would or wouldn't do if the Suns had drafted him. I was just merely speculating if we had drafted him. We didn't so there's no point here as I was kidding so relax. There's what's a total 96 playing minutes from the guard positions so IF Hallibution game was strong and IF the Suns had drafted him and IF he got the 20-25 minutes there still be plenty minutes for 3 guards of Booker, CP3, and Haliburton. We didn't draft Halibution and we draft Jalen Smith instead who we don't have either. It was just a thought.
I just wanted you to go a little deeper when you said he be ready to take over after being a backup.

I think the Suns were right to stick with vets guards at the lead & backup. Monty would have never let a rookie lead the show. He would have been rightfully too scared.

The Suns can trade for Hali when the times come if they outbid others. By the time he's a free agent he will have 2 1/2 years experience at the lead and 1 1/2 at the backup lead

What's funny is Hali & Smith instantly looked good together at the complimentary positions. So maybe the Suns bring back Smith too.

Last edited:

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I just wanted you to go a little deeper when you said he be ready to take over after being a backup.

I think the Suns were right to stick with vets guards at the lead & backup. Monty would have never let a rookie lead the show. He would have been rightfully too scared.

The Suns can trade for Hali when the times come if they outbid others. By the time he's a free agent he will have 2 1/2 years experience at the lead and 1 1/2 at the backup lead

What's funny is Hali & Smith looked good together, so maybe the Suns bring back Smith too.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear and that's my fault as you never know what draft prospect will do until he is in battle of the game. Some sink & some swim with instructions and encouragement. Monty seemed mighty scared during the playoffs by his lack of adjustments and I liked Monty but I think he's too passive. I was a high school school basketball coach and I believe that you have to have a mixture of nice & nasty attitude along with instilling confidence in your players but Monty is on a higher level than high school and he's probably doing what's he thinks is best for him and the Suns. The Suns will recover from this early 2nd round playoff exit and shoot for it again. Luka was a good bad a** player no doubt! And Brunson, Smith, Kleber, Dinwiddie, and Bullock played well and hit timely shots and hand clap to Jason Kidd coaching too.

Last edited:

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
The Suns would be better off if they drafted Tyrese Haliburton.

Ask yourself if he would have helped the Suns in their Finals run last season.

Maybe the Suns don't even extend Chris Paul for that huge contract.
I think part of the reason Hali (or any guard) wasn't picked was because CP3 didn't want a rookie guard because CP3 wanted to be the sole lead the Suns to the promise land.

With all the trades CP3 wanted and signed off on and the "alleged" internal issues that led to the collapse, I believe rookie no guard demand was part of his trade.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of the reason Hali (or any guard) wasn't picked was because CP3 didn't want a rookie guard. CP3 wanted to solely lead the Suns to the promise land. With the trades CP3 wanted and signed off on and the "alleged" internal issues that led to the collapse, I believe part of his trade CP3 wanted what he wanted.
Several teams passed on Haliburton because his agent made it clear he would only play in Sacramento. Scouting reports suggested his lack of an outside shot coupled with being a bigger and slower PG meant he needed a quicker guard playing next to him. And they wanted someplace that was desparate enough to play him right away.

He's answered the questions on his shot and his ability to play the point by himself but considering teams other than the Kings couldn't work him out, couldn't interview him and couldn't get his medical records, I think it's quite understandable that teams like the Suns and the Spurs passed on him.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Several teams passed on Haliburton because his agent made it clear he would only play in Sacramento. Scouting reports suggested his lack of an outside shot coupled with being a bigger and slower PG meant he needed a quicker guard playing next to him. And they wanted someplace that was desparate enough to play him right away.

He's answered the questions on his shot and his ability to play the point by himself but considering teams other than the Kings couldn't work him out, couldn't interview him and couldn't get his medical records, I think it's quite understandable that teams like the Suns and the Spurs passed on him.
I think he would have out performed CP3 (wild I know) but to do so he couldn't play behind CP3 and Book. That's not gonna happen. And Monty says wins or losses. He was always choosing wins.

So it made sense that Hali himself didn't want to play behind anybody and looked to make that happen if he could. Funny he got traded so the quicker guard could grow instead of being moved into the lead spot. Pacers are making him an all star sooner than he he probably would be if he stay at Sacremento.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of the reason Hali (or any guard) wasn't picked was because CP3 didn't want a rookie guard. CP3 wanted to solely lead the Suns to the promise land. With the trades CP3 wanted and signed off on and the "alleged" internal issues that led to the collapse, I believe part of his trade CP3 wanted what he wanted.

Btw, welcome aboard.

Tyrese Haliburton is a hot button topic on this forum.

I think you draft BPA and go with it. IMO, that was Haliburton. Regardless, the Suns should have picked up the option on Jalen Smith.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Btw, welcome aboard.

I think you draft BPA and go with it. IMO, that was Haliburton. Regardless, the Suns should have picked up the option on Jalen Smith.
Thank you.

The Smith experiment is another topic. To be or not to be but it's funny how Hali & Smith ended up on the same team making the Pacers scouting department look good.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw, welcome aboard.

Says you. It's almost worse than the "Should have taken Luka" talk that followed Ayton through his first 2-3 years. It seems the Halliburton hindsight replaced that.

I'm fairly certain we'd all rather have him here but we don't and no amount of discussion will make it happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Says you. It's almost worse than the "Should have taken Luka" talk that followed Ayton through his first 2-3 years. It seems the Halliburton hindsight replaced that.

I'm fairly certain we'd all rather have him here but we don't and no amount of discussion will make it happen.

No hindsight for me. I wanted the Suns to draft Ayton. I'm not going to second guess the Suns on that pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

The Smith experiment is another topic. To be or not to be but it's funny how Hali & Smith ended up on the same team making the Pacers scouting department look good.

Yeah, the Pacers have two nice young players and the #5 pick although they may not be able to pay Smith.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"....although they may not be able to pay Smith."
Now that's funniest part of it all. How in the world did that happen? (Rhetorical question to myself)
Because we failed to extend him at the start of the season we would have been limited in what we could offer him. Any team acquiring him by trade while he was still under his rookie contract would face the same limitations. Now, though he's a free agent and teams can bid as they choose for him.

Also, although both Haliburton and Smith played well down the stretch, everyone knew they were tanking so I'm not sure how seriously defenses prepared for them. Teams interested in signing Smith or maybe trying to acquire Haliburton are likely to consider that the Pacers went 6-20 with those two.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
True. And you said "both" not just Smith. They both did well on a losing team like so many highly sought rookies in their draft class. All I'll say is every player that's good today probably developed on a loosing team first.

I'll sneak in there was a stretch were Smith did good "on a winning team" led by All Stars and All Teams while Hali hasn't yet.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When James Jones mentioned the Suns might be interested in acquiring a draft pick(s) in a recent podcast, I couldn't help but think this could make a sign and trade involving Ayton more palatable with NBA trade restrictions.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I think he would have out performed CP3 (wild I know) but to do so he couldn't play behind CP3 and Book. That's not gonna happen. And Monty says wins or losses. He was always choosing wins.

So it made sense that Hali himself didn't want to play behind anybody and looked to make that happen if he could. Funny he got traded so the quicker guard could grow instead of being moved into the lead spot. Pacers are making him an all star sooner than he he probably would be if he stay at Sacremento.
I certainly agree with your second paragraph. I wish him well and it's probably working better for him with the Pacers.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When James Jones mentioned the Suns might be interested in acquiring a draft pick(s) in a recent podcast, I couldn't help but think this could make a sign and trade involving Ayton more palatable with NBA trade restrictions.

If you trade Ayton for picks your pretty much starting over. Rookies take time to develop and there’s not generational players in this draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you trade Ayton for picks your pretty much starting over. Rookies take time to develop and there’s not generational players in this draft

Draft picks can also work like currency in the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a team rebuilding

Draft picks are also used to balance the scale in a trade to make it more equal.

The Suns traded two first round picks to the 76ers for Mikal Bridges. The 76ers were not in rebuild mode.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Draft picks are also used to balance the scale in a trade to make it more equal.

The Suns traded two first round picks to the 76ers for Mikal Bridges. The 76ers were not in rebuild mode.

Yes I understand what drafts picks are

But if your trading Ayton for draft picks your blowing it up and starting over

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I understand what drafts picks are

But if your trading Ayton for draft picks your blowing it up and starting over

I'm not a proponent of trading Deandre Ayton only exploring how draft picks make a trade more palatable.

In July I'm hoping we hear the Suns have signed Deandre Ayton to a new contract without getting into all this sign and trade stuff.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a proponent of trading Deandre Ayton only exploring how draft picks make a trade more palatable.

In July I'm hoping we hear the Suns have signed Deandre Ayton to a new contract without getting into all this sign and trade stuff.

That’s the route to go sign him and if you want to move him do it before the trade deadline your gonna have way more options then

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the route to go sign him and if you want to move him do it before the trade deadline your gonna have way more options then

This is what I hope happens. The Suns sign Ayton before he enters RFA and explores offer sheets.

Sign and trades are limited and difficult. It benefits both Ayton and the Suns if it gets done. Then if they can't work out any difficulties, the Suns can trade him after the designated waiting period.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is what I hope happens. The Suns sign Ayton before he enters RFA and explores offer sheets.

Sign and trades are limited and difficult. It benefits both Ayton and the Suns if it gets done. Then if they can't work out any difficulties, the Suns can trade him after the designated waiting period.
This is totally what I want as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose