This is BS

buttsR4rebounding

Registered
Reaction score
You must have the long view to see the plan. Nash was signed to an overpriced contract so that next year when no free agents want to go play for the Knicks, Nash can be traded to the Knicks for some good young talent. Maybe, Lee plus some others. DA still has a man crush for him so he will overpay to get the overpayed player...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must have the long view to see the plan. Nash was signed to an overpriced contract so that next year when no free agents want to go play for the Knicks, Nash can be traded to the Knicks for some good young talent. Maybe, Lee plus some others. DA still has a man crush for him so he will overpay to get the overpayed player...

You can't honestly think the Suns overpaid Nash simply so they could get more talent in a trade. The Suns can't even get fair trade for the players on their roster like Amare. They couldn't get fair trade for a guy like Shaq. Teams are offering the Suns total crap even when matching contracts.

Matching contracts is no gaurantee that a team is going to give you "good young talent". I don't think the Suns are that stupid and if they are ...the Suns front office is in much worse hands then I thought.

Last edited:

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I don't think the Suns are that stupid and if they are ...the Suns front office is in much worse hands then I thought.

I don't understand this line? How can they get much worse? Aren't they already almost rock bottom? Isn't it already obvious that they are one of the worst front offices in the nba?

Remember the saying "how to dismantle a team in 07 seconds or less". That is the tagline of the Sarver/Kerr/Dantoni era. They are all responsible for the way the GM'ing of this team was done. Letting go of Tim Thomas and instead signing Marcus Banks as well as selling draft picks (since they won't be used)? Dantoni. KT and 2 draft picks alongside James Jones and a draft pick for basically nothing? Sarver. Marion being pushed over the edge? Kerr.

I would rather have had marion bitching and complaining away and been a top 4 seed bounced in the second round 2 years in a row then the embarrasment that was the 2 shaq years, an embarrasing loss vs the spurs in round 1 and an embarrasing drop out of the entire playoffs the next year. Kerr IS an idiot.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who sees the glass is half full?
Nash is still one of the best point guards in the NBA, Dragic is coming along and can learn a lot from him. Grant Hill played like an all star last year and his comment about "unfinished business" leads me to believe that he thinks the Suns can do a lot better than all the gloom & doom'ers posting on this thread.
Amare is playing for a contract. He's not stupid and knows that his shortcomings on defense & lack of rebounds will keep him for getting a max deal. I expect he will have his best year ever in the NBA.
Fry may get excited about a new style of play and live up to the potential expected of him when he was drafted.
Richardson may go to AA and get a new lease on life....
Lou A., Barbosa, Dudley, Dargic are very good bench player who will see quality time. Clark is an unknown at this time but I'm willing to give him some what of a chance to add to the bench.
Perhaps the team will actually practice defense and surprise us all.

The season hasn't even begun and you would think it was over already according to some of you guys - why bother playing???? Injuries happen, trades happen, **it happens.... Who knows? I still see the glass as half full. I've been a fan since day one and I'll still be a fan even if the Sun's never win a championship.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
So you are like that one guy on every team thats over pouting after a victory and when asked why they are down they reply with the "i didnt get my touches" remarks. The I would rather lose and score 25 than win and score 7 guy. Ill take the boring victory over the entertaining loss anyday.

how on earth did you take what he said and turn it into that....

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather have had marion bitching and complaining away and been a top 4 seed bounced in the second round 2 years in a row then the embarrasment that was the 2 shaq years, an embarrasing loss vs the spurs in round 1 and an embarrasing drop out of the entire playoffs the next year. Kerr IS an idiot.

Have you seen how bad Marion has been the last 2 years? Not to mention that if you think the Suns the last 2 years would have been a top 4 seed with Marion your kidding yourself. The Suns had been going down hill before that trade. Our record against the elite in the NBA was pathetic and we were already on our way to becoming one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA.

The Suns demise was much more then the Shaq trade. Our defensive on the perimeter had already gone south (as discussed here at length) long before the Shaq trade. Our interior defense was non existant and the Suns were one of the worst paint teams in the NBA.

The reason the Shaq trade didn't work was because the teams defensive problems were much bigger then one player. They still are.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
The funny thing is marion would have still been able to put up around 15/9 here IMO, just because of how he fit in here. His wing defense was needed more than ever by this team also, even if he couldn't defend Tony Parker very well but who can? We would have beat the teams we should have (non-elites obviously) since one big factor is we would not have lost games where shaq was missing for the game which were quite often.

In the end a lot of people say the Shaq trade was a worthwhile gamble to take, I don't think so. I think it was a really stupid idea. It made this team difficult to watch and having a high pace team have Shaq all of a sudden mixed in just became such a joke to see. I would have rather just gotten some young talent in a trade where obviously we get less value for marion. It would have been addition by subtraction compared to having to get Shaq and watch the whole system get destroyed, even if it wasn't a championship system in the first place. I curse kerr for doing the Shaq trade, the whole thing was extremely painful to watch. I tried to get myself to accept it in sort of a way filled with denial about how much a joke the whole thing had become, but I couldn't pull that off for too long.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the end a lot of people say the Shaq trade was a worthwhile gamble to take, I don't think so. I think it was a really stupid idea. It made this team difficult to watch and having a high pace team have Shaq all of a sudden mixed in just became such a joke to see. I would have rather just gotten some young talent in a trade where obviously we get less value for marion. It would have been addition by subtraction compared to having to get Shaq and watch the whole system get destroyed, even if it wasn't a championship system in the first place. I curse kerr for doing the Shaq trade, the whole thing was extremely painful to watch. I tried to get myself to accept it in sort of a way filled with denial about how much a joke the whole thing had become, but I couldn't pull that off for too long.

Were you on these forums right before the trade? People were up in arms and couldn't watch this team already. People were tired of us beating up on Sacramento and getting our butts kicked by good teams. People knew this team was pretending in the worst way. The Shaq trade was a desperation move on a team that was going down the drain. They were hoping to stop that. This team was circling the drain with or without Shaq IMO.

I do share your frustration with the Kerr/Sarver era. Have they shown anything in terms of the ability to manage this team?

Last edited:

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
how on earth did you take what he said and turn it into that....

Because I have played with guys like that. You try to teach defense and a structured offense and they find it boring. They would rather play up tempo and score tons individually even if it results in a loss. You can argue that the Spurs play boring basketball and the Suns play exciting all you want... but what matters is the results and there is no argument which style produces championships over the other.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I have played with guys like that. You try to teach defense and a structured offense and they find it boring. They would rather play up tempo and score tons individually even if it results in a loss. You can argue that the Spurs play boring basketball and the Suns play exciting all you want... but what matters is the results and there is no argument which style produces championships over the other.

I don't buy you have to have this structured and boring offense to win a title. It's all about balance. Yes, a very good defensive team will give you a shot but there are plenty of examples of teams that have one titles that could score in bunches and played an open style of offensive basketball.

The key is making sure you have guys that can play both sides of the court. That is something the Suns never figured out under the D'Antoni era. D'Antoni felt he could outscore every team in the NBA all the way to a title. When what D'Antoni should have been doing is adopting more of a Showtime Lakers model. That team was so fun to watch on offense but they could also shut down teams when it counted.

Last edited: