There’s still a possibility we draft Nabers

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yep - reading about the contested catch rate with Nabers was definitely eye opening.

Yeah - an OT would be a luxury pick at this point, but if Alt is a Joe Thomas like prospect you can put there for 8-10 years, that's hard to pass.

That's why I have little interest in Brown at even a reduced salary...bigger targets that win 50/50 balls seem to be very important to our current QB.
The comparison I've read on Alt is a bigger Jake Matthews. Matthews has been a good LT (better than Humphries) but he probably sits at the 7th or 8th best best tackle spot.

I think Alt isn't quite Joe Thomas, few tackles of the past twenty years have been that good (Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden, Tony Boselli, and probably Trent Williams).

With that said, I don't view having two really good OTs as a luxury, I think that really builds the trenches up. I think that it is a valid argument about team building however; paying a lot of money for two players at a position can cause roster imbalance.

I said it a few months ago, and I'll say it again: I'm not going to be shocked when/if MHJ is not the best receiver from this draft. There are so many viable players in this draft, but I'd bank on Odunze being the best guy if MHJ isn't.

Because of this belief, I would bite the bullet and take Odunze at 4. He offers the roster a quantifiable dimension that the offense lacks, a big WR who can box out DBs and make the tough catch.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Acquire more picks ---->>>>?>>>>>Profit!

I think it's safe to say that these guys will be picked before Odzune:

Williams
Maye
MHJ
Daniels
Alt
Nabers

So you *should* be safe to trade down to at least 7, right? Drafting Odzune at 4 would seem too early, especially if someone else falls in love with Daniels.
If harrisson is gone and they don’t want alt I am calling Atlanta we get 8 44 and a 2025 first rounder. Then we take odunze or the Penn state ot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The comparison I've read on Alt is a bigger Jake Matthews. Matthews has been a good LT (better than Humphries) but he probably sits at the 7th or 8th best best tackle spot.

I think Alt isn't quite Joe Thomas, few tackles of the past twenty years have been that good (Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden, Tony Boselli, and probably Trent Williams).

With that said, I don't view having two really good OTs as a luxury, I think that really builds the trenches up. I think that it is a valid argument about team building however; paying a lot of money for two players at a position can cause roster imbalance.

I said it a few months ago, and I'll say it again: I'm not going to be shocked when/if MHJ is not the best receiver from this draft. There are so many viable players in this draft, but I'd bank on Odunze being the best guy if MHJ isn't.

Because of this belief, I would bite the bullet and take Odunze at 4. He offers the roster a quantifiable dimension that the offense lacks, a big WR who can box out DBs and make the tough catch.
This is why I’m not convinced there’s a ton of high end talent in this draft. I’ve seen Caleb, MHJ, nabers, alt, and fashanu mention in that vein. But lately fashanu falling outta that category. And now alt would be comped to the 8th best tackle isn’t inspiring.

Like the 73 draft - 10 of the top 12 picks became pro bowlers. They knew those guys were studs.

Or the 89 draft where you had Aikman, Barry sanders, primetime, Derrick Thomas taken in the first five picks (sorry Broderick Thomas, you stunk).

Or 2011 where you had newton, vin Miller, aj green, Peterson, Julio, Aldon smith (stud if he didn’t allow personal life to destroy career), Tyron smith, and jJ watt in first 11 picks.

I just remember knowing most of those guys were going to be studs when they were picked. I don’t feel that way about this top group. Or last years other than Anderson.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is why I’m not convinced there’s a ton of high end talent in this draft. I’ve seen Caleb, MHJ, nabers, alt, and fashanu mention in that vein. But lately fashanu falling outta that category. And now alt would be comped to the 8th best tackle isn’t inspiring.
Jake Matthews was the sixth overall pick. And the comment is that he is similar to Jake Matthews but better.
Like the 73 draft - 10 of the top 12 picks became pro bowlers. They knew those guys were studs.

Or the 89 draft where you had Aikman, Barry sanders, primetime, Derrick Thomas taken in the first five picks (sorry Broderick Thomas, you stunk).

Or 2011 where you had newton, vin Miller, aj green, Peterson, Julio, Aldon smith (stud if he didn’t allow personal life to destroy career), Tyron smith, and jJ watt in first 11 picks.
The fact that you are picking drafts over twenty years apart. lol

This draft is definitely better than last year's draft though. The QBs are better prospects, the WRs are insanely good, and the tackle class is outstanding. It's weaker on Edge however, but overall it's a better class.
I just remember knowing most of those guys were going to be studs when they were picked. I don’t feel that way about this top group. Or last years other than Anderson.
I do. Alt is going to be a stud. The QBs are obviously a crap shoot, but they are more talented. I'm certain that MHJ, Nabers, and Odunze are going the studs (as certain as you can be).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Jake Matthews was the sixth overall pick. And the comment is that he is similar to Jake Matthews but better.
Seems weird to assert this while also saying that some draft classes are weaker than others. PJJ was also sixth overall; I don’t think many project him to be even as good as Jake Matthews and his one career pro bowl nomination to date.

That 2014 draft class was pretty mid.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Seems weird to assert this while also saying that some draft classes are weaker than others. PJJ was also sixth overall; I don’t think many project him to be even as good as Jake Matthews and his one career pro bowl nomination to date.

That 2014 draft class was pretty mid.
I think when you know a class is going to be mid, especially draft classes with meh playmakers, taking a high floor prospect is a smart move.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
i don't know which will be better -- but i believe MHJ gets a little scouting boost from his name with on-line draft ranking crowd

He is clearly a fantastic prospect -- i just think draft writers are human and influenced by stuff like that

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i don't know which will be better -- but i believe MHJ gets a little scouting boost from his name with on-line draft ranking crowd

He is clearly a fantastic prospect -- i just think draft writers are human and influenced by stuff like that
Thats fair. I also think its fair that some think Nabers (and even some for Odunze) highlights just jump out more. Indicating signs of this greater potential.

MHJ is more efficient, consistent. MHJ gets the Moss/Larry Fitz/Calvin Johnson comparisons. However, to my eye Larry's highlights seemed more unreal. Same for Moss. Same for CJ when ever he got a decent pass.

Still if he's just a productive who cares how pretty it looks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

4. Arizona Cardinals​

Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

The Cardinals are comfortable with Kyler Murray and now need to go get some weapons. Malik Nabers is potentially the most explosive playmaker in this draft. The Murray-to-Nabers connection should be fun.

27. Arizona Cardinals (via HOU)​

T'Vondre Sweat, IDL, Texas

The Cardinals address the trenches on the defensive side of the ball and draft a true run-stopper. T'Vondre Sweat will immediately give the Cardinals a presence of dominance in the run game.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered the level of competition faced by LSU v OSU? SEC secondaries better?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
MHJ is more efficient, consistent. MHJ gets the Moss/Larry Fitz/Calvin Johnson comparisons.
the cynic in me wonders if the people making those comps have "his dad is a Hall of Famer, so I think he will be like those Hall of Famers" going on in their subconscious

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the cynic in me wonders if the people making those comps have "his dad is a Hall of Famer, so I think he will be like those Hall of Famers" going on in their subconscious
Yes, when "pedigree" is part of the scouting report, seems like lazy analysis.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Eh he was a marvelous college receiver though.

If it was just "his dad was great", then Brendan Rice would be getting more play.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and to be clear: I think MHJ is a fantastic prospect

i also think though-- at the margin -- he is getting a boost from who his father is
It's happening with Brony as we speak at USC. We also had expectations for Marcus and Jeffrey Jordan, who weren't more than college bench players. They all have hightened expectations and there are few that live up to them. If MHJ is 80% of his father, he'll be pretty darn good though.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison