The Wire

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Reviving an old one here. I finally watched it after skipping on it for 20 years. It was really good but I can't call it the best ever. There's a few shows I'd put ahead of it. I'm wondering if I would have been blown away more if I hadn't heard all of the "Best Show Ever!" claims since it came out. My expectations might have been set too high.

S1 & 3 were the best for me with the Stinger and Avon story lines. The cat and mouse play with the phone systems and wire held my interest the best. S2 I was mixed on. S4 is probably my least favorite. I really didn't care for the school story line. It was nice to see Wee-bey do the right thing though. S5 was mostly great but I the newspaper story line didn't really grab me. I wouldn't have cried if they cut it for a different story line but given the creator's background it's not a huge surprise that it was in the show.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Reviving an old one here. I finally watched it after skipping on it for 20 years. It was really good but I can't call it the best ever. There's a few shows I'd put ahead of it. I'm wondering if I would have been blown away more if I hadn't heard all of the "Best Show Ever!" claims since it came out. My expectations might have been set too high.

S1 & 3 were the best for me with the Stinger and Avon story lines. The cat and mouse play with the phone systems and wire held my interest the best. S2 I was mixed on. S4 is probably my least favorite. I really didn't care for the school story line. It was nice to see Wee-bey do the right thing though. S5 was mostly great but I the newspaper story line didn't really grab me. I wouldn't have cried if they cut it for a different story line but given the creator's background it's not a huge surprise that it was in the show.

It has been a minute since I watched it. For me season 4 was my favorite. I don’t remember exactly why, but I remember liking the HS stuff. For me, season 2 was my least favorite. In fact, I watched season 1 and 2 back to back, and then it took me a couple of years to have the desire to watch 3. I do agree that I don’t think it was the “best show ever”, but I may be inclined to put it in the top 10.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

You had to have the media side of it for all the puzzle pieces to mesh at the end. I took away from how all these pieces were dependent on each other, even though you would think they were in opposition.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It stands up to rewatches. The social commentary was just so compelling back when it was first on tv.

Season 4 is a masterpiece IMO.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great show outside of the season In The docks…. Well worth the watch

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I watched this for the first time during the pandemic. Definitely one of all the time bests, but I hated the ending to McNulty and Lester’s characters. Felt it was lazy writing. If I recall, there was a strike at the time that impacted the last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard