The way too early official Super Bowl LIII gameday thread

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Brady and company know how to win these games. Not sold on Gurley having his head right. One more for Brady (sad to say)

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
man must be heaven being a Pat's fan
A Boston fan in general. Every one of their teams have won a title in the past 10 years or so. This year alone the Red Sox are already World Series champs and the Pats could add to that. In my lifetime, my favorite teams have won 5 titles and 1 since 1983. The freaking Patriots have done that all on their own in the past 20 years.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This the Patriots secret weapon.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ind-curtain/IrNCfgrysUphGpkcIjEaBL/story.html
Jim Davis/Globe Staff
Ernie Adams (right) is the Patriots’ director of football research and a close confidant of Bill Belichick.
By Dan Shaughnessy Globe Staff January 29, 2015
You must be registered for see images attach

Jim Davis/Globe Staff
Ernie Adams (right) is the Patriots’ director of football research and a close confidant of Bill Belichick.
The Patriots’ man behind the curtain

Is little-known Bill Belichick confidant Ernie Adams the secret to the Patriots’ success?

By Dan Shaughnessy | Globe Staff

PHOENIX — You can see the Ernie Hotline in the phone bank near the Patriots bench. Sometimes when Bill Belichick is prowling and scowling on the sideline, you get a glimpse of the wall of black phones behind the coach.

Under an NFL-shielded Microsoft Surface blue awning, in the middle of the row of old-timey wall phones, there is one handset with a strip of red tape affixed to the receiver. Somebody with a black Sharpie has identified the man on the other end of this line.

The five letters run from top to bottom of the handpiece.

E

R

Advertisement
N

I

E

You must be registered for see images attach

Jim Davis/Globe Staff
A bank of phones behind the Patriots bench includes one with orange tape and "Ernie" written on it.
Who is Ernie Adams? What does he do? These are the eternal questions surrounding the Mystery Man of the Patriots.

Adams declined a request to be interviewed for this story. No big surprise there. Ernie Adams interviews are like J.D. Salinger interviews. Like Garbo. Like Koufax. They are rare. Adams prefers to stay out of the spotlight.

Advertisement
Adams, who is officially listed as “football research director,” is the man behind the Patriots’ iron curtain. He is the man who has Belichick’s ear. He is a football genius, a statistical savant, the Rain Man of the NFL. In the words of late author David Halberstam, Adams is “Belichick’s Belichick.’’

The magic game plan that beat the unbeatable St. Louis Rams in the Patriots’ first Super Bowl win? Hiking the ball off your own goal post to win an unwinnable game in Denver? Skull-imploding substitution plays that paralyzed John Harbaugh in New England’s playoff win over Baltimore? Adams’s DNA is sprinkled over all Patriot strategy and trickeration. History and anecdotal evidence suggest that Adams would know a lot about the PSI of a pigskin.

Adams is Belichick’s trusted football brother and confidant. He is like Robert Kennedy serving as attorney general for brother JFK in the New Frontier. He is Dick Cheney, behind the scenes with George W.

Who is the Patriots’ true decider? We’re never quite sure.

Asked to assess Adams’s contribution to the Patriots’ success, Belichick said, “Ernie’s really a great sounding board for me personally and other members of our staff. Particularly coaching staff. Strategy, rules, decisions. Ernie’s very, very smart. He has great historical perspective. Sometimes that comes into play.’’

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one cool thing about this game is that there's a player on the Rams who is from my alma mater. First one ever to play in a Super Bowl from my old high school. Jamil Demby.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
trey wingo

@wingoz

Tom Brady has yet to be sacked this post season. Since sacks became an official stat... only one QB in the Super Bowl era has gone an entire post season without getting sacked. And of course... it’s Tom Brady... went all the way thru Super Bowl 38 without getting sacked.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson