The Trade Deadline

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you sit down for the interview I'd avoid mentioning that you'll base your recommendations on "mock" drafts. ;)

I'll bring them with me to compare with Keim's choices. I'll smash it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
When you sit down for the interview I'd avoid mentioning that you'll base your recommendations on "mock" drafts and not the work done by your scouting team. ;)
Nah, just tell them you subscribe to Mitch’s pre draft worksheets and your plan is to build a roster of Cap Capi’s...low payroll - high energy players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Carlos Dunlap of the Bengals on the block

a 4-3 DE, but at 280 could give you reps at 3-4 DE

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He hasn’t been good this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P.S. The actual exchange with Lady Astor (Nancy Astor, Viscountess Astor)

“Nancy Astor: "Winston, you are a drunk!"

Winston Churchill: "And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."

My favourite:

“Nancy Astor: "Sir, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."

Winston Churchill: "Madame, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is someone we should be looking at

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He’s maybe available but same age as PP and still owed many dollars for the balance of this year. Next year he’s on the books for $16 mil, then an FA. That’s cheaper than PP will be but $3 mil more than PP is being paid this year. The reduced cap makes this unlikely. They’d be giving up at least a second for an expensive 1.5 year player. Also I’m not sure Belichick is ready to accept failure.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s maybe available but same age as PP and still owed many dollars for the balance of this year. Next year he’s on the books for $16 mil, then an FA. That’s cheaper than PP will be but $3 mil more than PP is being paid this year. The reduced cap makes this unlikely. They’d be giving up at least a second for an expensive 1.5 year player. Also I’m not sure Belichick is ready to accept failure.

How do you trade for a CB with about $10m still due this year when you only have $5m in cap space anyway?

He has no incentive to sign a cheaper new deal when he's making $26m the next season and a half and would we want to extend a 30 year old corner that much anyway?

This one makes no sense to me.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
How do you trade for a CB with about $10m still due this year when you only have $5m in cap space anyway?

He has no incentive to sign a cheaper new deal when he's making $26m the next season and a half and would we want to extend a 30 year old corner that much anyway?

This one makes no sense to me.
Restructure and kick the can down the road.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
The Cardinals do not have a lot of ammunition right now. Anymore trades and they get very thin on picks in a year where cheap depth is going to be more valuable with the cap going down.

That is about as low as NFL teams usually go in terms of picks.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

·
12s

The #Falcons have had trade talks about DE Takk McKinley and other teams believe the former first-round pick gets moved before Tuesday’s deadline, though no deal is imminent, per sources. McKinley (groin) was held out of practice the past 2 days. Atlanta visits Carolina tomorrow.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
The Cardinals do not have a lot of ammunition right now. Anymore trades and they get very thin on picks in a year where cheap depth is going to be more valuable with the cap going down.

That is about as low as NFL teams usually go in terms of picks.

You get around the lack of picks in 2021 by offering 2022, at a higher compensation. So, if a team want's a 6th, you offer a 5th in 2022 to get the deal done.

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
You get around the lack of picks in 2021 by offering 2022, at a higher compensation. So, if a team want's a 6th, you offer a 5th in 2022 to get the deal done.

For sure that is an option.

But is this the year to really push? I do not know, I am legitimately asking if this is the time to make a bunch of mercanery moves.

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
If the Cards can get a good CB for non-premium compensation, I think that is one they should explore for sure. That seems to be the glaring issue right now.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
For sure that is an option.

But is this the year to really push? I do not know, I am legitimately asking if this is the time to make a bunch of mercanery moves.
Well, if you have a ton of draft picks they are all salary slotted and they automatically count that against the cap, right? In a year where you may need every last dollar to resign existing players, with a projected significantly lower salary cap, maybe it makes sense???? If you like your team and don't really need a bunch of rookies filling out the roster?????

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
Well, if you have a ton of draft picks they are all salary slotted and they automatically count that against the cap, right? In a year where you may need every last dollar to resign existing players, with a projected significantly lower salary cap, maybe it makes sense???? If you like your team and don't really need a bunch of rookies filling out the roster?????

The draft picks taken in 2021 are going to be key when they pay Kyler half a billion. They will be going into year 2 or 3 and hopefully replacing expensive players.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I agree. I personally think he is over the hill and he has a big cap hit next year.
He's the guy you plug into a solid rotation to out you over the top... Seattle's defense needs actual playmakers and difference makers that can log a ton of snaps.