SG Beal
SF KD
PF Diop
C Ayton

What is the best starting 5 available?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
IDK, depends on who we are playing. SF and you want to stop Curry, maybe the fifth should be Goodwin or Okogie. Change depending on opponent.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
id go Goodwin. Basically every team has a good point guard. Goodwin can guard them and take ball handling duties.

Obviously havent seen him play yet but i think thats a clear best case scenario

Cam payne is a bench spark plug at best, he should not be a starter at all

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I expect either Diop or Okogie to be the 5th starter. They're going to want someone to do some of the heavily lifting on defensive matchups.
Reading about Goodwin and one NBA analyst said he's just like Jevon Carter except with a 6' 10" wing span!

OP
OP
S

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
I like Goodwin defensively but i don't think his offense is good enough for teams not to double of him. The suns 5th starter has to be a good too great shooter.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well, the point really is that they will have a ton of flexibility with lineups. As long as everyone stays healthy, I'm not sure many if any other teams aren't going to be at a disadvantage with our depth and match-ups.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was reading the thread about the Gordon signing on Realgm and posters were talking about how we have no one to play D. That's crazy. The worst defenders on the team will be Gordon and Cam.

And of course DA when he is playing high.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I like the idea of starting Diop or one of our "bigs" so that KD doesn't have to bang as much.

But then I watched this, so I am torn...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
We'll see how it pans out in camp, but I love what he brings next to our starters. Hustle and great off ball shooting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yuta is a perfect match for this starting unit. It looks to me like rebounding might be our weakness this year.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yuta is a perfect match for this starting unit. It looks to me like rebounding might be our weakness this year.

Imagine him standing in the corner playing catch and shoot instead of what we saw last year.

:thud:

Inevitably, teams forced the ball there playing 5 guys on our other 4 leaving the corner open for our 5th starter to miss open threes most of the time, and at some key moments. Perhaps next year teams won't be able to leave Yuta open, or get burned if they do, and play Book, KD and Beal more straight up?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO the bottom line is the flexibility that the Suns now have with so many different options. The 5th starter may differ from game to game depending on the opponent. The bench and rotation should now be a strong point.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I like the idea of starting Diop or one of our "bigs" so that KD doesn't have to bang as much.

But then I watched this, so I am torn...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Watching that video... looks like KD might be a big fan of Yuta. One play where KD is playing defense, Yuta comes in and makes the block. Another play where Yuta draws attention from a defender, KD gets the easy shot. lol look at KD while while he's on the bench and Yuta has the ball

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I don't know if KD and Yuta being signed here are somehow related but I would guess the Suns at least asked KD's opinion of Yuta - and I'm guessing KD gave him a glowing review

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
To some degree, the Suns have a similar problem they had last year. Their bench is deeper, roster is overall significantly stronger, but they still don't have the fourth starter. Ideally, that would be your point of attack defender who can make an open three. Essentially, a Mikal Bridges. Okogie is an outstanding defender, but inconsistent shooter. Yuta is an outstanding shooter, and a competent defender, but not really THE defender in the starting lineup. KBD might be the closest thing to being competent in both areas. If they start Gordon, that is an insane lineup on offense, but it's pretty damn small.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To some degree, the Suns have a similar problem they had last year. Their bench is deeper, roster is overall significantly stronger, but they still don't have the fourth starter. Ideally, that would be your point of attack defender who can make an open three. Essentially, a Mikal Bridges. Okogie is an outstanding defender, but inconsistent shooter. Yuta is an outstanding shooter, and a competent defender, but not really THE defender in the starting lineup. KBD might be the closest thing to being competent in both areas. If they start Gordon, that is an insane lineup on offense, but it's pretty damn small.
Statistically Yuta is not a bad defender he's average to slightly above, in fact based on advanced stats he is a better defensive player than offensive player.

Actually when looking at advanced stats, KBD is the better offensive player, and worse defender compared to Yuta, which I think actually goes against both players reputations.

KBD actually improved greatly offensively last season over his previous years in the NBA primarily due to his big improvement in 3pt shooting - hopefully that wasn't a fluke.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard