The Starting 5

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I partially blame Ariza for Josh Jackson as well. JJ had a running blog on Grantland, I believe, and he talked about how Ariza was his veteran who showed him the ropes. Of course we all know how Josh turned out. He had talent too but he wasn't dedicated to the game. Makes me wonder how he could have turned out if he had a real professional, and professional team, to guide and shape him.

Jackson was a clown in college as well, I don’t think a few months with Ariza altered his trajectory.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
And now the training facility is a hot bed of activity. I think it helps that it's in the Biltmore area also as a number of Suns players live down there or in Paradise Valley so it's a short trip to get there. I'd imagine that's a big selling point for our prospective players.
It has some rooms in there players can stay in. Like when they get traded here, visiting on try outs, free agency, etc.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He (Bol) has improved but he's nothing more than a mascot. I don't want him. But if he comes ill cheer.
Maybe he's Jokic kryptonite

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's my pick for 5th starter now that Torrey Craig is gone. I could see us going small occasionally and starting Eric Gordon as well but that's situational.
I think most here would start him, but you never know what promises were made to who in order to get the signatures.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Anyone know if Vogel tends to keep the same starting lineup all the time or if he likes to mix it up depending on matchups?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think most here would start him, but you never know what promises were made to who in order to get the signatures.
I would be very surprised if any of the guys that we signed were promised a starting spot. Especially considering most of them were spot starters at most with their previous teams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone questions him as 5th starter
Well, maybe because KBD misses a lot of games? Five seasons in and he's only played in 230 games. Even in the Covid era, that's a lot of missed time.

I'm not overly familiar with him but I do recall him forcing shots on breakaways when he had wide open teammates. Of course, PJ Tucker was one of our biggest energy players ever and he was horrible at that so I don't want to say it's a big deal, just something worth mentioning.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if any of the guys that we signed were promised a starting spot. Especially considering most of them were spot starters at most with their previous teams.
All we promised would be merit-based competition for playing time. Given all except 5 are equally on 1-year min contracts, it's credible that they all would be given equal chances adapted to their skills and experiences.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure where Bol would find minutes here. He'd be behind Ayton, Eubanks and, probably, Metu.

If I was him I would look to go somewhere with a thinner front court.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not sure where Bol would find minutes here. He'd be behind Ayton, Eubanks and, probably, Metu.

If I was him I would look to go somewhere with a thinner front court.
He’s not a center. He’s a power forward.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading the thread about the Gordon signing on Realgm and posters were talking about how we have no one to play D. That's crazy. The worst defenders on the team will be Gordon and Cam.

And of course DA when he is playing high.
The worst defender on the team by a country mile will be Lee

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of the guys who will see the court, Beal will be the worst defender, he's been a pretty lousy defender his entire career. Gordon is just about average, Payne has actually been pretty solid on that end.

Payne gets too much hate here. His problem is his shooting, he is a wildly inconsistent shooter and when his shot isn't falling he goes for those crazy layups. As a facilitator he is really really good and as a defender he's solid.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s not a center. He’s a power forward.

A 4 that can't shoot, can't set screens, can't play offensive inside, can't defend on the outside and his a really ugly assist to turnover ratio.

He's probably better a better option than Todd but that isn't saying much. I don't think he'd sniff the court here.