The QBOF Conundrum in the NFC West

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This shapes up to be a very interesting off-season for the teams in the NFC West.

One of the main reasons why the division has been so poor in recent years is that besides Kurt Warner, the quarterbacking in the division has been weak. Now that Kurt Warner has retired each team finds itself in somewhat of a quandary as to how to move forward at the QB postion.

The good news for the Cardinals is that no other team in the division has a clear-cut QBOF in place.

In San Francisco, they decided to change the philosophy of their offense by stressing the passing game more, and thus turned the reins over to Alex Smith. ESPN Blogger Mike Sando opined today that Smith cannot be counted on as of yet, and based on Smith's uneven results last year, Sando's comment has merit. The question is: if not Smith, who can they turn to?

In Seattle, Matt Hasselbeck, once the premier QB in the division has struggled through tough injuries and coaching changes. It's possible that if he can stay healthy this year he can put together a sweet swan song. But, ideally Seattle would probably be much better off getting the QBOF in place and playing him as much as they can this year. Seneca Wallace is a nice change of pace #2, but he is not the QBOF.

In St. Louis, Marc Bulger's play has steadily declined over the past few years. Apparently he is going to be released, and there has been talk that Steve Spagnuolo is interested in trading for Mike Vick. Mike Vick is at best a stop gap measure until the team has a QBOF.

The Cardinals have been grooming Matt Leinart in the hopes that he is the QBOF now that Kurt Warner is retired. As Sando has repeatedly pointed out, the jury is still out on Leinart, and there's the issue of his contract which would need to be settled one way or another after this year.

What also has been a concern for any of the NFC West QBs the past few years is the sub par pass protection they've received. Good quarterbacking obviously often goes hand in hand with good protection. Warner got just enough of it in Arizona to be able to light up the scoreboard. In San Francisco, Seattle and St. Louis their pass protection didn't help their QBs stay healthy (Hasselbeck, Bulger) or consistently effective (Smith).

The interesing thing about this upcoming draft is that potentially all three of the Cardinals' division rivals have a chance to secure their QBOF...that is if one believes that Oklahoma's Sam Bradford and Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen are legitimate QBOFs.

I believe both of them are.

I am not sure there is another QB in this draft who is. In fact, I'm inclined to think there isn't. Maybe some decent borderline starters and #2s, but that's about it.

Further compounding matters is that both St. Louis and Seattle passed on Mark Sanchez last year...which both organizations now likely regret. Not to say T Jason Smith and LB Aaron Curry aren't good players...but realistically neither of those players is going to turn the franchise back into a winner as much as a QBOF will.

Look at it this way...last year the Lions sitting at number one were pondering taking Aaron Curry who was by all accounts virtually every pundit's clear-cut choice as the #1 can't miss prospect in the draft. The Lions were also enamored with T Eugene Monroe. Then there were all the question marks about QB Matthew Stafford.

The Lions did the absolute right thing by drafting Stafford. Their QBOF actually got excellent experience in his first year and he showed some talent at the QB position Lions' fans haven't seen in some time. In essence he, more than any other player, has given Lions' fans a new reason to hope.

The bottom line is the Detroit Lions are a year coser to winning because they have their QBOF already in place.

Look at the New York Jets who gave up a lot to trade up to #5 to snatch QB Mark Sanchez out of thin air. They have their QBOF in place and have already made it to an AFC Championship game, thanks to a swarming defense, a good running game and solid young quarterbacking.

If you are a Lions' or Jets' fan these days, you have to be feeling great about the team's prospects for the next decade. Yes, even the lowly Lions have to feel that way, because the Cardinals proved that with a hot QB a rare trip to play in the Super Bowl is possible.

The thing is: even when young QBOFs struggle at least as a fan you know it's all for climbing the learning curve and it should pay great dividends in years to come.

Today I was reading in Sando's blog that Steve Spagnuolo appears adamant about building the team on the interior lines first. That's Bill Parcells' old mantra and yes there's credence to that philosophy...but Bill Parcells had a QBOF in Phil Simms to groom while he was building up the lines.

Apparently Spagnuolo is going to take DT Ndamukong Suh or DT Gerald McCoy with the #1 pick, despite the fact that he does not have a QBOF.

Maybe Spagnuolo isn't sold on Bradford or Clausen. OK...but I will say this, Bradford actually might have been the Lions' choice last year had Bradford come out. And what Clausen did this past year throwing for over 3,000 yards and 28 TDs versus a mere 4 interceptions, was simply remarkable.

Beyond Bradford and Clausen the dropoff looks very steep. The Rams could gamble on a Jevan Snead at the top of round 2...but he threw 20 interceptions in college last year and there are questions about his maturity.

As a Cardinals' fan, I will honestly admit, I would be thrilled to see the Rams pass on a QBOF again. We can double team Suh if we have to, but a hot QB is much harder to stop...especially year after year within the division.

Now get this...the Rams also have to realize that by passing on Bradford or Clausen they are most likely assuring that one of them will be a Seahawk an hour or so later.

The Lions (#2), Bucs (#3) and Chiefs (#5) already have their QBOFs in place. And with Suh, McCoy, and Berry on the board the Lions and Bucs would probably not even be tempted to trade down. The Chiefs might...for the #5 spot was the hot "trade up for a QBOF" spot in last year's draft...but more on that in a sec.

At #4, Mike Shanahan is going to take Bradford or Clausen. Shanahan knows the sooner he has his QBOF in place, the sooner the Redskins' future will look bright. So, that takes care of one of them.

Now if the Chiefs stay put they will have a choice between one of the two great DTs Suh or McCoy (if the Bucs take FS Eric Berry), FS Eric Berry (if the 2 DTs go back to back) or T Russell Okung (whom most pundits think they covet).

Thus the #5 spot becomes white hot...it may force Pete Carroll, if he worries about getting trumped out of drafting one of these two QBs, to trade both of his 1st rounders (#6 & #14) to move up one spot. In that scenario the Chiefs would love it because they would still get their guy and have another 1st rounder. Actually the Chiefs might be inclined to accept the #6 and Seattle's early 2nd rounder. But the Seahawks would still have to surrender a high pick.

Enter the possibility of the 49ers moving up to #5 by offering their two first round picks (#13 & #16). The Niners could be players in this as well and jump right ahead of Pete Carroll. It would be a bold move...but it could be the move to secure the only QBOF in the division and what could eventually be a string of NFC West Titles.

The Chiefs could come out of that deal (#13 and #16) with one of the top tackles...like an Anthony Davis and come away with WR Dez Bryant or WR Golden Tate in addition....and wouldn't have to pay top five $$$.

Thus, I am hoping the Rams go DT and Pete gets trumped.

Regardless, what do you think the Cardinals should do about their QB situation?

Sure, it would ideal if Leinart emerges to the head of the QB class in the NFC West. But, what if he falters? This is a one year make or break deal, so there is a lot riding on this one year. If Leinart falters or gets hurt (God forbid), what is your Plan B?

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good post.

But I disagree with Sando and yourself. Football teams consist of 53 guys. The QB is only as good as the offensive line around him, the WR's he has to throw to, and the scheme he is working in.

Again, one must remember Kurt Warner accomplish jack and squat before Whiz and Grimm came in and gave Warner the team and surrounding he needs to succeed.

The great mystery, of what happened to Matt Ryan his year is no mystery. His offensive line and All-Pro running back were not there to support them.

Alex Smith is throwing to a WR core that resembles the Cardinals practice squad. Marc Bulger is behind one of the worst lines in football and horrible WR's, and Matt Hasselbeck no running back, very average WR's and a horrendous offensive line in front of him.

The offenses in the NFC West, besides the Cardinals, have a lot more problems than just the QB position.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good post.

But I disagree with Sando and yourself. Football teams consist of 53 guys. The QB is only as good as the offensive line around him, the WR's he has to throw to, and the scheme he is working in.

Again, one must remember Kurt Warner accomplish jack and squat before Whiz and Grimm came in and gave Warner the team and surrounding he needs to succeed.

The great mystery, of what happened to Matt Ryan his year is no mystery. His offensive line and All-Pro running back were not there to support them.

Alex Smith is throwing to a WR core that resembles the Cardinals practice squad. Marc Bulger is behind one of the worst lines in football and horrible WR's, and Matt Hasselbeck no running back, very average WR's and a horrendous offensive line in front of him.

The offenses in the NFC West, besides the Cardinals, have a lot more problems than just the QB position.

I agree with Mitch, Rugby. While having players around him is essential, the QB is the most important cog to winning in the NFL.

The goal is to win the Super Bowl. NFL history shows that to do so, you must have a very good QB at the the controls!!! Not average or mediocre but very good to great. The great ones are usually drafted in the 1st round.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mitch, what kind of stats do you think Leinart must have in order to be brought back as the Cards QB after the 2010 season?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The Lions did the absolute right thing by drafting Stafford. Their QBOF actually got excellent experience in his first year and he showed some talent at the QB position Lions' fans haven't seen in some time. In essence he, more than any other player, has given Lions' fans a new reason to hope.

The bottom line is the Detroit Lions are a year coser to winning because they have their QBOF already in place.

Look at the New York Jets who gave up a lot to trade up to #5 to snatch QB Mark Sanchez out of thin air. They have their QBOF in place and have already made it to an AFC Championship game, thanks to a swarming defense, a good running game and solid young quarterbacking.

If you are a Lions' or Jets' fan these days, you have to be feeling great about the team's prospects for the next decade. Yes, even the lowly Lions have to feel that way, because the Cardinals proved that with a hot QB a rare trip to play in the Super Bowl is possible.

You say that and yet you repeatedly write off Leinart who had a much better rookie campaign than either of those 2.

Sanchez 12 TD 20 INT 53% 2444 yards 61 QB Rating
Stafford 13 TD 20 INT 53% 2267 yards 61 QB Rating

Leinart 11 TD 12 INT 56% 2547 yards 74 QB Rating

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Coach Singletary reportedly loves Alex Smith. Loves his intelligence and work ethic. The choice really isn't in Samurai Mike's hands, but I'd be surprised if they passed on OL help (particularly at ORT or OG) and another value pick (BPA, like with their WR last year).

The Seahawks have a big gaping hole at OLT. They'd be pretty stupid to pass on one. The Jets had a Top 5 pick protecting Sanchez's blind side.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You could have Unitas, Starr, Greise, Montana, Farve, Marino, Moon, and whomever else you like to pick and none would have the success if you stick them behind a sucky offensive line. I remember when Tarkenton was playing for the Giants and he was always running for his life. He goes to Minny and does much better because he is now behind a better OL.

All of the above guys have good or great OLs in front of them and a running game to go with it.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I am fine if Clausen or Bradford end up in our division. I think both will be solid QBs but neither impress me as HOF caliber prospects. I'd much rather the teams in our division draft their QBOF in a year when there aren't in Peyton Mannings, than wait for a guy like that to come along and be stuck against him for 15 years.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
There's about a 0% chance the 49ers draft a QB in the first round, unless of course Clausen has a Crabtree like fall from grace. If they do trade into the top 5 (BIG IF) it will be for Eric Berry and no one else, unfortunately or fortunately, depending on what side you're looking from Alex Smith is the definitive starter for next season.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with RMuffin. I understand that a top notch QB is essential to winning it all but they need a strong supporting cast. I will use the Manning family to illustrate my point.

Dad is on a pitiful Saints team and one could argue he is/was the most talented of the three. We all know the Saints stunk on ice.

Eli wins a SB, well actually he is on a Giants team that wins the SB. Eli played well enough to win but the Defense and running game were the true heros.

Peyton is an outstanding QB, one of the best of all time. Some may argue this point but think about how many winning seasons the Colts have had with Manning as the QB. Peyton is the perfect support to Mitch's point on drafting a QBOF. A truly great one can create an culture on a team that helps them all rise to the next level. The other side of the coin shows one of the best GM's in the business that rarely misses on draft picks.

The Jets had all the pieces in place except a QBOF. That team made the playoffs despite Sanchez. He did improve his play at the end of year and his future is quite bright and ergo the Jets could easily be the next 49ers (80's), Cowboys (90's) & most recently Patriots. This is because they have a team that can win despite their QB and now have a potential future superstar at the position.

If Clausen is a Petyon Manning then give up whatever you need to get him. If he is a Marc Bulger or Hassleback then take care of the trenches first.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Compare the Matt Cassell of the Patriots to the Matt Cassell of the Chiefs. Supporting cast makes a big difference.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson