The Predator (AKA Predator 4)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imo it's the best action movie ever made

It's somewhere in the top 10 for me but off the top of my head I'd go with Die Hard, Under Siege, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Terminator and Aliens above it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
funny I just watched the original Predator with my kids this weekend. Thought for sure it wouldn't hold up but I still found it enjoyable.

It has one of my favorite lines of all time. "you're bleeding man...I ain't got time to bleed". For the last 30 years I've automatically responded with this line anytime someone says you're bleeding.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has one of my favorite lines of all time. "you're bleeding man...I ain't got time to bleed". For the last 30 years I've automatically responded with this line anytime someone says you're bleeding.

I use (or misuse) the line regularly too. And looking back through this thread I see I already used my version of it in post 8. It's a great macho line.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's somewhere in the top 10 for me but off the top of my head I'd go with Die Hard, Under Siege, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Terminator and Aliens above it.

Terminator 2 goes in that list for me, along with The Dark Knight, The Matrix, Total Recall, Robocop, Mission Impossible 4. Under Siege def comes out of my list, but if I had to put a Segal movie in there it would Hard To Kill.

And you can take that to the bank. The blood bank.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terminator 2 goes in that list for me, along with The Dark Knight, The Matrix, Total Recall, Robocop, Mission Impossible 4. Under Siege def comes out of my list, but if I had to put a Segal movie in there it would Hard To Kill.

And you can take that to the bank. The blood bank.

If I were doing a "worst movie lines" thread, this one makes the list. I can still picture him watching that "vote for" ad. The movie is pure cheese but I still love it and it's probably the best Seagal vehicle. But Under Siege is far more than a vehicle for Seagal, it's right up there with Die Hard for me. And for the same reason, the bad guys steal the show. With Die Hard, Snape and gang are a lot of fun. And Rickman is probably the single greatest villian ever but Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey team up to be my favorite pair of movie villians.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane Black apologizes for casting registered sex offender in The Predator, other films

https://news.avclub.com/shane-black-apologizes-for-casting-registered-sex-offen-1828868144

Fox announced today that it has cut a small scene from Shane Black’s upcoming film The Predator, after star Olivia Munn informed the studio that the actor who appeared with her in the scene was a registered sex offender. The man in question is Steven Wilder Striegel (typically credited as Steve Wilder), who pleaded guilty in 2010 to charges of risk of injury to a child and enticing a minor by computer after attempting to manipulate a 14-year-old girl into a sexual relationship. Striegel is also, as it happens, a long-time friend of Black’s, which is presumably why the director included him in bit parts in his last two movies (Iron Man 3and The Nice Guys), both of which came after his six month jail sentence on the charges.

Fox reportedly cut the scene—in which Striegel plays a jogger who harasses Munn’s character—back in August, less than a day after the actress brought his background to its attention. The studio has said that it was completely unaware of the actor’s history when it okayed Black’s casting of him.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Predator

Release Date: September 14, 2018
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Shane Black
MPAA Rating: R (for strong bloody violence, language throughout, and crude sexual references)
Screenwriters: Fred Dekker, Shane Black
Genre: Thriller, Action, Adventure
Website: ThePredatormovie.com| Facebook.com| Twitter| Instagram

Starring: Boyd Holbrook, Trevante Rhodes, Jacob Tremblay, Keegan-Michael Key, Olivia Munn, Sterling K. Brown, Alfie Allen, Thomas Jane, Augusto Aguilera, Jake Busey, Yvonne Strahovski

Plot Summary: From the outer reaches of space to the small-town streets of suburbia, the hunt comes home in Shane Black’s explosive reinvention of the Predator series. Now, the universe’s most lethal hunters are stronger, smarter and deadlier than ever before, having genetically upgraded themselves with DNA from other species. When a young boy accidentally triggers their return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I enjoy K M Key, that guy is in everything from commercials to TV series to movies.

I am a fan ( Hell Baby is one hilarious film and so is his character, F'resnel sounds just like it's spelled ) but I hope he does not get worn out.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody see this?

I did.. Wasn't much else to do in the town of West Wendover last week. It wasn't as bad as i thought it was gonna be. But certainly not great cinema either.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I did.. Wasn't much else to do in the town of West Wendover last week. It wasn't as bad as i thought it was gonna be. But certainly not great cinema either.
Yeah, not expecting great cinema for sure but was it a fun popcorn muncher with a little humor thrown in for good measure?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not expecting great cinema for sure but was it a fun popcorn muncher with a little humor thrown in for good measure?

Yea I’d say it qualifies

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I’d say it qualifies

I was really looking forward to this movie but now I have my doubts. Within the genres that we both like, we usually see things the same way. Normally, when you like a movie such as this it's obvious from your comments, not reserved as you have been. So, what's up?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jesus this was bad.

Olivia Munn being so damn hot was the only thing good about this movie. Honestly didn't like one thing about. The action scenes, the acting, the story. Huge letdown for me.

Predator the original and Predators the Brody movie are the only two I recognize.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus this was bad.

Olivia Munn being so damn hot was the only thing good about this movie. Honestly didn't like one thing about. The action scenes, the acting, the story. Huge letdown for me.

Predator the original and Predators the Brody movie are the only two I recognize.

I didn't dislike it as much as you but I was disappointed. For me, it's Predator, Predators, AVP, Predator(4), Predator(2) and AVP Requiem. I re-watch the first 3 regularly, I'll have to watch this one again to see if it gets better or worse on a return visit. I don't like it's chances of moving up my list though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Took a year, but finally saw this, and really the only thing I can say is... missed opportunity. Some a little-too-clever lines, but generally a well-spoken script that devolves into nothing halfway through the movie. Totally called everything -- so easy to tell who was going to die, who was going to survive... Disappointed that Yvonne Strahovski didn't get to fight--they tease you with it during her last appearance on screen, then... nothing.

And the development of Olivia Munn was nonexistant. First time you see her is when the government (or whoever) drags her away.

So disappointing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have been on a movie series kick. Tonight's viewing finished off the alien and predator films and we both enjoyed The Predator a lot more this viewing. The first time we watched it the humor seemed juvenile and over the top, this time we laughed frequently. With the humor working, we found ourselves caring about the characters this time through. I would have given it a 5 out of 10 on first watch but a 7.5 tonight.

After a complete re-watch we'd rank how we enjoyed them as follows: Predator, Aliens, Predators, The Predator, Alien:Resurrection, Prometheus, AVP, Alien, Predator 2, AVP: Requiem, Alien 3 distantly followed by Alien: Covenant.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I need to know is that you ranked Alien EIGHTH on that list.
I used the word "enjoyability" instead of ranking them by "best movie" in large part because of Alien. The movie hit me hard when it first came out and I've watched it several times. It just doesn't do that well with a re-watch (more like a 6th or 7th re-watch).

Alien is a classic and I'd recommend it to horror/sci-fi fans that haven't seen it but it's incredibly slow paced and something like John Carpenter's version of "The Thing" holds up much better for repeat viewings IMO.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have been on a movie series kick. Tonight's viewing finished off the alien and predator films and we both enjoyed The Predator a lot more this viewing. The first time we watched it the humor seemed juvenile and over the top, this time we laughed frequently. With the humor working, we found ourselves caring about the characters this time through. I would have given it a 5 out of 10 on first watch but a 7.5 tonight.

After a complete re-watch we'd rank how we enjoyed them as follows: Predator, Aliens, Predators, The Predator, Alien:Resurrection, Prometheus, AVP, Alien, Predator 2, AVP: Requiem, Alien 3 distantly followed by Alien: Covenant.

Aliens, Predator, Alien, Prometheus then you can put the rest in almost any order.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aliens > Alien
For my tastes, absolutely. Alien was such a phenomenon when it was new but once you get past the horror and the surprises, it's a tough movie to view especially as it ages. The last time I watched it I was surprised to discover that it wasn't 3 hours long, it sure felt like it. Paxton's whining gets a little old for me but Aliens could come out today and still succeed IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson