The Positive Kyler Murray News Thread

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, unless it’s a playoff game, I hate QBs that try to make tackles off of a turnover. It’s not as bad this year considering it’s a lost season, but yea, way too valuable to do something like that.

Last edited:

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is still early and today was far from perfect but agree that it was a very nice start.
FWIW...We should keep in mind....no preseason...limited practices until the last few weeks....just wonderful to see him back and not have KK around who totally fluffed that guy up for three years.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Also, unless it’s a playoff game, I hate QBs that try to make tackles off of a turnover. It’s not as bad this year considering it’s a lost season, but yea, way too valuable to do something like that.
I loved it. That was a linebacker also. Dude is not made out of glass and mentally that had to have been huge for him.
Plus when they watch game film that play is going to receive a very warm reception, perhaps even a round of applause from the fellas, which I find just delightful.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
FWIW...We should keep in mind....no preseason...limited practices until the last few weeks....just wonderful to see him back and not have KK around who totally fluffed that guy up for three years.
That’s interesting I didn’t realize that. I wonder if Caleb knows about this. He certainly did seem upset the other day.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Again this is wild. When asked about his accomplishments he mentions "The offense should have put this game away a long time ago but the defense had our backs"

When asked about his scramble drill he says "Well I missed two throws before that and I just didn't want to lose"

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Attempting to tackle a defender ruined Cam Newton's career.

I think that tackle by Kyler was outta frustration. Hope he thinks better next time.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Again this is wild. When asked about his accomplishments he mentions "The offense should have put this game away a long time ago but the defense had our backs"

When asked about his scramble drill he says "Well I missed two throws before that and I just didn't want to lose"
What's the wild part? That he's being transparent and self-aware?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yep. That isn't what we saw for several years.
To be fair, this may be the first time since high school or even his entire playing career that he's had a coaching staff that preaches accountability.. we know that Kingsbury certainly didn't enforce accountability and by the looks of things with Caleb Williams, I don't think Lincoln Riley does either.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
To be fair, this may be the first time since high school or even his entire playing career that he's had a coaching staff that preaches accountability.. we know that Kingsbury certainly didn't enforce accountability and by the looks of things with Caleb Williams, I don't think Lincoln Riley does either.
I definitely feel this is the hope.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I thought he did just about as well as could be asked. Aside from the mistake on the INT--which he threw himself into a tackle to make up for--and the godawful short slide (again!)--that he then scored on a subsequent play--I was highly encouraged by his play. The sacks were pretty much unavoidable, he made nice throws, and, crucially for me, he utilized the pocket. That last one is really key. When he bailed it was because he had to bail.
Okay it wasn’t just my perception. That’s a great thing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
OMG. The slide was fine.

Interesting that we had another play where we took a dumb delay of game penalty because we couldn't get the play called on time. It'll be an interesting conversation today in the film room, because Kyler was pretty consistently tweaking playcalls at the line. I know people love seeing QBs do this, but sometimes they audible into the wrong play, too.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
OMG. The slide was fine.

Interesting that we had another play where we took a dumb delay of game penalty because we couldn't get the play called on time. It'll be an interesting conversation today in the film room, because Kyler was pretty consistently tweaking playcalls at the line. I know people love seeing QBs do this, but sometimes they audible into the wrong play, too.
Ah yes, forgot about that one.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Interesting that we had another play where we took a dumb delay of game penalty because we couldn't get the play called on time.
some mechanics things i hadnt seen until yesterday:

a snap where the entire offense except FRO went

a snap where only Kyler thought the ball was coming to him (pretty sure that was the play immediately prior to slide-gate -- and cost them a TO -- after letting the clock run from the high 40s to inside 20 secs).

and the delay you noted

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No, by waiting to slide for a split second and still not getting his head taken off. That's the way I saw it.
I also came away from that thinking he had another step before the slide and could have had the first.
but, in all honesty...unless its playoffs Im okay with it... keeps him safe and still gives me something to criticize while being unimportant in the overall scheme.
same with the tackle...as a coach I would rather have to tell my players to tone down the aggression...and Kyler is the teams leader. Offense and defense both saw him sell out to make the stop.
it also clearly demonstrates that Kyler is back. dudes are usually tentative for a while after an injury... but Kyler took down a backer,..and finished one of his runs with a head first dive and tumble for a first down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler Murray vastly exceeded my expectations against the Falcons.

He looked more mature as a quarterback and hadn't lost a step. His skills as a passer were evident.

Maybe I forgot how quick he was, but he looked even faster yesterday.

I couldn't ask for more with Kyler's first start after returning from injury.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
OMG. The slide was fine.

I loved it. Only way Kyler can learn is by doing and evaluating his read/decision later. This is the growth that needs to happen. I care more about this than the 42 yards scramble that netted 11 yards or whatever it was.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler Murray vastly exceeded my expectations against the Falcons.

He looked more mature as a quarterback and hadn't lost a step. His skills as a passer were evident.

Maybe I forgot how quick he was, but he looked even faster yesterday.

I couldn't ask for more with Kyler's first start after returning from injury.
Well said.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard