"The Perfume Alibi" by jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Virginia, it's true - jefftheshark has written a novel!

Although many scientists/researchers feel that this event is the Sixth Sign of the coming Apocalypse, the fine people at Amazon have decided to carry the book anyway -and it is now available for purchase. You can purchase The Perfume Alibi at all the usual suspect-type places (Barnes & Nobel, etc.) + through Kindle, Nook & Apple as an ebook - or you can click on my "signature/banner" at the bottom of the page and go to my website www.perfume-alibi.com where you can get a discount off the softcover purchase price (PM me for the code).

The Perfume Alibi is a mystery/suspense novel that asks the burning question: What if Del Griffith, genial shower-ring salesman extraordinaire, was in reality a crazed psychopathic killer? There's also a pair of character actors who moonlight as contract killers, a celebrity chef who...oh, well - you get the idea - there's a bunch of stuff that fills each and every one of the 220 or so pages. :)

There is also some gratuitous nudity and a smattering of words like ****, ******** & ***-*****-*. This means that the book is more than likely inappropriate for pre-schoolers and church pastors. Cardinal fans on the other hand see & hear far worse at any typical Raiders game, so it's fine for them.

The first chapter and a half can be read by clicking on the picture below:

You must be registered for see images attach

If you do happen to get the book, I'd love to get your feedback, good or bad (okay - maybe not too bad). Reviews on as many sites as you see fit are appreciated as well.

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy the book!

JTS

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a good book. I Recommend to all. :)

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Great book. Fast paced with unexpected turns. I highly recommend it.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
How much for just the gratuitous nudity?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Can there actually be nudity in a novel without pictures?

That puts a lot of pressure on the words to be worth my $7.95.

I'll report back when I finish the book.

Looking forward to reading it. :)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Virginia, it's true - jefftheshark has written a novel!

Although many scientists/researchers feel that this event is the Sixth Sign of the coming Apocalypse, the fine people at Amazon have decided to carry the book anyway -and it is now available for purchase. You can purchase The Perfume Alibi at all the usual suspect-type places (Barnes & Nobel, etc.) + through Kindle, Nook & Apple as an ebook - or you can click on my "signature/banner" at the bottom of the page and go to my website www.perfume-alibi.com where you can get a discount off the softcover purchase price (PM me for the code).

The Perfume Alibi is a mystery/suspense novel that asks the burning question: What if Del Griffith, genial shower-ring salesman extraordinaire, was in reality a crazed psychopathic killer? There's also a pair of character actors who moonlight as contract killers, a celebrity chef who...oh, well - you get the idea - there's a bunch of stuff that fills each and every one of the 220 or so pages. :)

There is also some gratuitous nudity and a smattering of words like ****, ******** & ***-*****-*. This means that the book is more than likely inappropriate for pre-schoolers and church pastors. Cardinal fans on the other hand see & hear far worse at any typical Raiders game, so it's fine for them.

The first chapter and a half can be read by clicking on the picture below:

You must be registered for see images attach

If you do happen to get the book, I'd love to get your feedback, good or bad (okay - maybe not too bad). Reviews on as many sites as you see fit are appreciated as well.

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy the book!

JTS

You do realize that possessing the book with the masks on front is grounds to be barred entry into the United States?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
If the book is even half as amusing as his posts, it will be well worth the $7.95.

True!

I wonder if we could cross-post this onto the more popular forums. I'd be ok with it - we've promoted other members' works before.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll download it tonight and read it next.

Congrats, JTS! (...on getting published, not for having the honor of me downloading it and skipping it ahead to the top of my reading list).

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! (except for Jon outing me on the Mexican gang member thing - there goes 7 years of undercover work up in smoke)

JTS

PS - If anybody needs a bunch of AK-47's for a very cheap price then let me know. I guess I won't be needing them anymore. :(

:D

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a few pages in and I have a question that I'm sure will be answered if I just keep reading (but since I have such unfettered access to the author I figured I'd use it).

This thing takes place in a world where Planes, Trains and Automobiles exists as a film, right? It's not as if you're just re-imagining the characters.

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a few pages in and I have a question that I'm sure will be answered if I just keep reading (but since I have such unfettered access to the author I figured I'd use it).

This thing takes place in a world where Planes, Trains and Automobiles exists as a film, right? It's not as if you're just re-imagining the characters.

Sorry for taking so long to get back, but I'm traveling in your neck of the woods this week in Steamboat Springs.

But anyway, the answer is yes the movie exists. It is one of those things that will get explained as the plot unfolds. There are several other movies that are referenced thoughout the book and all are real except one, which becomes important in the second book. :)

JTS

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to get back, but I'm traveling in your neck of the woods this week in Steamboat Springs.

But anyway, the answer is yes the movie exists. It is one of those things that will get explained as the plot unfolds. There are several other movies that are referenced thoughout the book and all are real except one, which becomes important in the second book. :)

JTS
I should have just kept my mouth shut. Literally three more pages and it was explained....sort of (so far).

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have this in B&N Nook format?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished. It was good--I liked it a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bought by Hollywood--the duplicitous ("tri-plicitous?") nature of almost every character has got to be intriguing for actors.

A good theme for the book (aside from the obvious) would be Billy Joel's "The Stranger." ("we all have a face that we hide away forever...they're the faces of a stranger, but we love to try them on")

JTS: Did you write two books simultaneously? How is you next one coming out just a few weeks after this one?

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished. It was good--I liked it a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bought by Hollywood--the duplicitous ("tri-plicitous?") nature of almost every character has got to be intriguing for actors.

A good theme for the book (aside from the obvious) would be Billy Joel's "The Stranger." ("we all have a face that we hide away forever...they're the faces of a stranger, but we love to try them on")

JTS: Did you write two books simultaneously? How is you next one coming out just a few weeks after this one?

Wow -thank you! Your opinion means quite a bit to me - I have to admit that I was anxious to hear what you thought of the book - quite candidly, more than from some of the "professional" reviewers. :thumbup: If you could add a review to the Kindle site I'd certainly appreciate it - as well as recommending it to your friends - Thanks again!

The Stranger would be a great theme - I might just add it to the music section of the website. BTW if you didn't get a chance to visit the website at www.perfume-alibi.com you might enjoy it - there's a youtube video of many of the important elements of the book like The Cars' Bye-Bye Love and John Candy singing The Flintstones (yes, that sounds like a strange combination even typing it :))

As far as the second book goes, the original book was huge - close to 3 times The Perfume Alibi. My wife read the first draft and threw up her hands in confusion over the vast number of characters and the (tri-plicitious? :D) nature of most of the characters. So with the help of my agent I split the book up into 3 "distinct" books of about 80K words each. The second book has several of the characters from the first but introduces a whole new set as well. The sequel, tentatively titled The Ice Cream Shoppe, will explain some of the mysteries left unresolved in The Perfume Alibi while adding several more. (PS - The published version says "Coming in August" as the 2nd book's release date - but that was a mistake - really sometime in October is now the plan)

I'd like to see this as a movie as well (which is, of course, a totally self-serving opinion :)). I'd be interested in what you think would be good "casting" choices.

Thanks again!

JTS

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll write a review later this week (feel free to use parts of it as your jacket cover quote for the second printing ;)).

Here's a brutal truth, though: that website needs help! In all honesty, the low-quality site is not helping reflect the high-quality of the book. JMHO

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll write a review later this week (feel free to use parts of it as your jacket cover quote for the second printing ;)).

Here's a brutal truth, though: that website needs help! In all honesty, the low-quality site is not helping reflect the high-quality of the book. JMHO

I know! You're absolutely right about the site - I built it myself without a clue as to what I was doing. This is the sorry state of publishing these days where you get basically no support until you have a string of successful novels - and even then it's seriously lacking.

I'm open to suggestions if you, or anyone else, wants to talk to me about design or promotion.

Oh, and thanks for being "brutal". Feedback is what I'm looking for!

And thanks for writing the review. If it's spectacular :D then I'll send you a free autographed copy (PM me with an address) - But you have to promise to share it with as many people as possible, okay?

Thanks again!

JTS

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In regards to the review, if you could mention that you'd like to see this as a movie it would be great. I forgot to mention that I'm in contact with someone "in the Industry" and I'll be referring him to some of the various sites where the reviews are beginning to trickle in. A comment in regards to the cinematic possibilities would be greatly appreciated. :raccoon:

JTS

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson