"The Perfume Alibi" by jefftheshark

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have your sample on my Kindle and I anticipate starting it soon, then buying the book. I'm finishing up Fevre Dream right now, and I think Perfume Alibi is probably next on the click.

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have your sample on my Kindle and I anticipate starting it soon, then buying the book. I'm finishing up Fevre Dream right now, and I think Perfume Alibi is probably next on the click.

Thanks! I was hoping you would pick up a copy - I'm thinking that you might enjoy it :thumbup:

I know that you are working on your own novel in this same genre as well - how goes the battle? :)

JTS

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I was hoping you would pick up a copy - I'm thinking that you might enjoy it :thumbup:

I know that you are working on your own novel in this same genre as well - how goes the battle? :)

JTS

Heh, I am reading FAR more novels than paragraphs I'm writing. I'm closer to a silly, fun 3rd-4th grade ADD detective book than my novel project.

Still just gathering my thoughts, outlines, character motivations and twists in the novel route.

But I'm really looking forward to checking out your work - I'm sure I'll love it.

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.perfume-alibi.com rebrand looks great. Soooo much more representative of your work. Nice job all around!

Thanks! I'm thinking about changing the background picture to this:

attachment.php

It's the same picture but just made to look like a stormy night.

What do you all think?

JTS

Attachments

• website background 4.jpg
    website background 4.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Congrats, Jeff! I hit you up on facebook. We'll make a best-selling author out of you yet :)

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats, Jeff! I hit you up on facebook. We'll make a best-selling author out of you yet :)

Thanks! And make sure you check out the new Perfume Alibi website that our good friend SweetD created. :thumbup:

Oh, and I'm now on Twitter @PerfumeAlibi - Follow me for different crazy things from the book - that won't make any sense until you read the book and then you'll go like "Hmmm...:D"

JTS

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm thinking about changing the background picture to this:

attachment.php

It's the same picture but just made to look like a stormy night.

What do you all think?

JTS

Are there any sweet transexuals in the story?

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any sweet transexuals in the story?

Dr. Frank N. Furter lived in a home only two blocks over from where the book takes place - yet surprisingly doesn't show up in the story. I stole characters from a bunch of different movies, however, I'm saving The Rocky Picture Horror Show for a sequel.

But here's a picture for you to enjoy until the day that book is released :)

You must be registered for see images attach

JTS

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome.

This the local motel?

You must be registered for see images

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1/4 of the way through (I started it last night and tore through a ton of it). Really fun read, I'm loving your characters.

I'm sending you a question via PM though.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished it. It was really great, Jeff. The characters are all so twisted.

I'm not used to reading non-linear books, so this threw me for a bit at first. It kind of reminds me of movies like "The Usual Suspects" or a lot of Tarantino where there are scenes from the past that are wrapped by an opening scene and then it all comes back in the end.

Characters were great. Dialogue was great. Trying to keep up with everyones' changing identities was a challenge, but fun.

I downloaded this for Kindle, and I also have the kindle app on my iPhone. The nice thing is that amazon kept my place synched whichever device I used.

One technical suggestion is to see if you can get the table of contents included as a menu option. I couldn't go back to a specific chapter. I would have to bookmark a location (and I still have no idea what kindle locations are!)

Great job, and I will definitely buy your next!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I downloaded this for Kindle, and I also have the kindle app on my iPhone.

On your kindle was the font incredibly small as the default? I noticed that my normal reading font which is about midway of the sizes, was the second largest available for shark's book.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On your kindle was the font incredibly small as the default? I noticed that my normal reading font which is about midway of the sizes, was the second largest available for shark's book.

Not sure. I have Kindle v3.3 which is older and I cant find how to change the font size. But no, I have never noticed that. The font it gives me is either the same size as a print book or maybe an iota larger.

The iphone app has font change right at the bottom menu and can switch instantly. I've been reading more on my iPhone lately b/c it has more options and it is backlit.

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished it. It was really great, Jeff. The characters are all so twisted.

How could it be any different when you see who wrote it? :D

If I could trouble you for a review on the Amazon/Kindle site it would really help the effort of getting the word out. The same review on Goodreads and Smashwords would be even better! (links will be found on The Perfume Alibi Facebook page soon!)

Thanks for the kind words - I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed it. The book does get a bit "convoluted" but I'm happy to see that the journey to the end was worth it. :thumbup:

JTS

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying my hand at blogging now in a further effort at shameless self-promotion. Click on my "signature" and check it out - any feedback will be appreciated :)

JTS

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just got my copy in the mail today looking forward to reading it!

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my copy in the mail today looking forward to reading it!

Cool! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think :)

Oh, and by the way, here is Donald's review that he posted on Amazon, Kindle & Goodreads - Thanks a zillion for the wonderful write-up!

And I can hardly wait to see what your wife's review looks like (especially after hearing the twisted way "she" would have ended the book :D).

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisty, turny, mind-melting joyride, August 8, 2012
By Donald Case Amazon Verified Purchase
This review is from: The Perfume Alibi (Kindle Edition)

Little did I know that when I picked up The Perfume Alibi that I’d be up late reading a “can’t put it down” kind of tale. Cruden deftly weaves a multiple timeline story that would make Quentin Tarantino nod his head in appreciation. With a hilarious backbone of a late-night traffic stop that is much more than it appears, Cruden anchors his characters to the present while exploring their quite sordid, Machiavellian backstories. As the story unfolds, it gets more and more interesting and exciting as the tension builds with twists and turns that I dare you predict.

Fans of pop culture will appreciate the many nods to (and sometimes even blatant pointing and yelling at) TV, SNL skits and cult classic films. The Perfume Alibi’s most surprising element, to me at least, is how funny it is. With such serious business as murder, greed and lust on the table, one wouldn’t expect to be laughing so much.

This is a wonderful debut for Cruden and I am eagerly awaiting his next book.

:thumbup:

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update but there is a Giveaway on www.goodreads.com where you can win a free copy of my book - The Perfume Alibi

Close to 500 people have signed up to win a free autographed copy, so if you haven't purchased a copy then give it a whirl! And if you have read the book then a review would be appreciated as well - so far it's received a 4.71 Stars rating out of 5 (which ain't too shabby :). Thanks!

JTS

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I can't decide between the Kindle version or the paperback.

You must be registered for see images attach

I’ll give you a friends and family 10% discount on my paperback copy.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evidently there is a sequel titled, Terror a la Mode (Perfume Alibi Book 2). Looks like it's Kindle only on Amazon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose