The optimistic case for the 2021 Cardinals

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Maybe a contrarian take, but there are legitimate reasons to be optimistic for the Cardinals 2021 season.

This is not saying that the Cards don’t have challenges to fix – they do. But, on balance, the NFC teams ahead of the Cards have more challenging issues to fix.

1. The NFC is wide open. After TB, the other three NFC divisional teams are all at least $30mm over the cap and will have to shed players before they can begin to try to improve their teams.

2. There is no obvious next tier of teams outside the NFC West that look to be contenders next year. Dallas, maybe with Dak. Chicago? Atlanta? Nobody really scares you in this group. (and all have issues as bad or worse roster/cap wise than the Cards).

3. The other NFC West teams have issues no less concerning than the Cardinals. In order of “stress” :

a. The Rams are >$30mm over the cap, and all contributing CBs outside of Jalen Ramsey are FAs. Leonard Floyd, John Johnson, Austin Blythe as well. No first or third round pick. Their Head of College scouting is now the Lions GM, and he took his right hand man with him. Their D Coordinator left with assistants, and, O Pass and Run coordinators left.

b. The Seahawks are right at the cap. All starting CBs are UFAs. Three interior OL are UFAs. Add KJ Wright, Chris Carson and 3 of their 4 TEs are UFAs. Changed over the O Coordinator, which reportedly didn’t make Russ happy. Further, Russ is pressuring for O-line upgrades, but SEA’s resources are thin given the cap situation and lack of a first round pick.

c. SF has decent resources with a full slate of picks and about the same $ cap space as the Cards. Their free agents include Trent Williams, all of their starting CBs and Kyle Juszczyk. D Coordinator has left, taking key assistants. Worst QB in the division, and one where they are openly trying to replace him.

4. So why will the Cardinals improve?

a. They have an ascending QB. As often posted before, Murray is an outlier in terms of a lack of college experience prior to the NFL, compounded by a lack of college spring ball due to baseball, and, no real offseason this year due to Covid. Additional experience will provide additional growth.

b. The CBs they need to replace weren’t very good. Per PFF: P2 was 83rd out of 121 in CBs. Kirkpatrick was 105. FWIW – we complain about Byron Murphy, but he was 48/121 – just outside the top third. Replacing P2 and Kirkpatrick with, lets say, Shaquill Griffin and Mac Alexander would improve the CB spot from 83 & 105 to 49 & 63 -- a giant improvement.

c. I could go on, but this post is already too long....

so @ am all you want and tell me why I'm wrong. Its the offseason after all.............

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think many have complained about Murphy once he has moved to the slot. He has played well there... :shrug:

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yes CB in FA and OL and than draft well -.-

maybe you can even get some player quite cheap to get someone under the cap with a low rounder.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree to an extent, but Keim is the concern.

The Rams have some roster issues that people are downplaying. Don't count out a team that has a defensive core of Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey though.

The Seahawks are going to tread water and be a first round out again next year.

The Niners have a solid core but are weak at some important areas. Plus they might lose Trent Williams.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We have a tough schedule this season..... but the bright side to it is that our toughest games are at home
A little home field advantage could help our record

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a tough schedule this season..... but the bright side to it is that our toughest games are at home
A little home field advantage could help our record
In recents years didn't look like an advantage playing at home

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I agree to an extent, but Keim is the concern.

The Rams have some roster issues that people are downplaying. Don't count out a team that has a defensive core of Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey though.

The Seahawks are going to tread water and be a first round out again next year.

The Niners have a solid core but are weak at some important areas. Plus they might lose Trent Williams.

also a contrarian take:

if you believe that Kliff botched the season and needs to go -- doesnt that imply that he took a 10 or 11 win roster and underachieved? That says Keim built a playoff ready roster two years after bottoming out.

my personal belief: Keim is in the middle 20 or so of NFL GMs. Good enough that when helped by the inherent randomness of the NFL draft he strings three good years in a row together -- the team does well. But its not sustainable, because there will be a couple years of bad decisions. His situation is helped now because having a QB makes everything else easier.

he isnt a top guy -- Ravens and Steelers for example, but he isnt a dumpster fire either-- Jets, Texans.

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
I like this opTIMistic thread so i'll add to it! The Cardinals play the AFC South next year. Outside of the Titans the other three teams could all be in rebuilding stages with new QBs learning new systems. With the new playoff format of a 7th playoff team, 8-8 or 9-7 gets you in, Cardinals definitely could do that and more!!!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson