The Official "What's for Dinner" Thread!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's not my business, but if you can't eat eggs, some of the specialty stores sell egg replacer. It's a powder that you dissolve in water (made from tapioca or something, I think) and use just like you would eggs. It saves a lot of recipes...you don't really realize how many recipes and things you buy in the store have eggs as an ingredient until you start looking.
Interesting, thank you! Once I'm done with the diet, I plan on living life differently, and paying far more attention to what I eat. I'll check this out & see how it works--will be several months, though. Do you know if Trader Joe's would carry it? There is one right by me so that would be very convenient.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Interesting, thank you! Once I'm done with the diet, I plan on living life differently, and paying far more attention to what I eat. I'll check this out & see how it works--will be several months, though. Do you know if Trader Joe's would carry it? There is one right by me so that would be very convenient.

You must be registered for see images

This is the product I use. I get it at Whole Foods or Amazon, but I don't think Trader Joe's carries it right now.

I did just look at the TJ site and, wow, is it impressive. You can sort their whole product list by vegan, vegetarian, no-gluten, kosher, etc.

http://www.traderjoes.com/lists/vegan.asp#1

OP
OP
O

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Spaghetti & meatballs with some Cabrenet.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you make your meatballs? I've wanted to try making them from scratch.
I know you weren't asking me, but I'll give ya what I do, and they turn out pretty darn good.

I take a pound of super lean ground beef, and a pound of ground pork or ground pork sausage, throw in a couple of eggs, basil, oregano, granulated garlic, dried or powdered onion (I prefer minced dried onion), and a slice of bread that's been soaked in milk (THANK YOU MULLI!). They're pretty sticky in the end, but I roll 'em up to approx the size between a golf ball & tennis ball--closer to golf ball, put them on the broiler pan & bake them at 350. Makes around 20 or so.

I like 'em, at least :)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Can't speak for O, however, as a full-blooded Italian, I can share a recipe my wife and I have used for decades and was passed down over many generations... Really nothing too sophisticated. Here ya go:

The key is to mix ground beef (80/20 is best) with ground pork. The ratio seems to be best at 60% beef, 40% pork.

In a large bowl, combine the meats with 2 eggs, 3 slices of bread (rip up into small pieces), chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh basil, fresh oregano to taste, garlic salt, salt and cracked pepper.

Using your hands, large spoon or ice cream scoop (really depends on how big or small you prefer your meatballs), form the meat into the shape of balls.

Fry in a large pan with extra virgin olive oil. The oil should be at a depth that covers a very small % of the meatballs. You don't want to drench the meatballs in the oil! You will need to keep close watch over the meatballs as they are frying, turning them over every 2 minutes or so until the entire meatball is cooked and golden brown.

Line a plate or serving dish with paper towels and place the cooked meatballs on the towels. Give a few quick sprinkles of salt and let sit until cooled. And then the best part - POP them in your mouth!!!!

We will also take a bunch and plop them into our tomato sauce that always accompanies the cooking of meatballs. So while the sauce is still cooking (we literally cook our sauce a minimum of 5 hours), we'll dumpy 12-15 meatballs into the sauce, as well as the left over oil in the frying pan and any drippings. It really gives the sauce a tremendous flavor!!

Ok... now having flashbacks of when I was a kid, being at my Nonni's (grandmother) house on a Sunday with my brothers and cousins, and waiting for her to take the meatballs out of the frying pan... we wouldn't even wait for them to cool - we would grab as many as we could (as she was screaming at us to leave the kitchen!!)!!! So GOOD!!!! :thumbup:

OP
OP
O

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

LOL, I'm lazy. I just go to AJ.s, high end grocery store, Italian Kitchen and buy some.
They're pretty good.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I know you weren't asking me, but I'll give ya what I do, and they turn out pretty darn good.

I take a pound of super lean ground beef, and a pound of ground pork or ground pork sausage, throw in a couple of eggs, basil, oregano, granulated garlic, dried or powdered onion (I prefer minced dried onion), and a slice of bread that's been soaked in milk (THANK YOU MULLI!). They're pretty sticky in the end, but I roll 'em up to approx the size between a golf ball & tennis ball--closer to golf ball, put them on the broiler pan & bake them at 350. Makes around 20 or so.

I like 'em, at least :)

Can't speak for O, however, as a full-blooded Italian, I can share a recipe my wife and I have used for decades and was passed down over many generations... Really nothing too sophisticated. Here ya go:

The key is to mix ground beef (80/20 is best) with ground pork. The ratio seems to be best at 60% beef, 40% pork.

In a large bowl, combine the meats with 2 eggs, 3 slices of bread (rip up into small pieces), chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh basil, fresh oregano to taste, garlic salt, salt and cracked pepper.

Using your hands, large spoon or ice cream scoop (really depends on how big or small you prefer your meatballs), form the meat into the shape of balls.

Fry in a large pan with extra virgin olive oil. The oil should be at a depth that covers a very small % of the meatballs. You don't want to drench the meatballs in the oil! You will need to keep close watch over the meatballs as they are frying, turning them over every 2 minutes or so until the entire meatball is cooked and golden brown.

Line a plate or serving dish with paper towels and place the cooked meatballs on the towels. Give a few quick sprinkles of salt and let sit until cooled. And then the best part - POP them in your mouth!!!!

We will also take a bunch and plop them into our tomato sauce that always accompanies the cooking of meatballs. So while the sauce is still cooking (we literally cook our sauce a minimum of 5 hours), we'll dumpy 12-15 meatballs into the sauce, as well as the left over oil in the frying pan and any drippings. It really gives the sauce a tremendous flavor!!

Ok... now having flashbacks of when I was a kid, being at my Nonni's (grandmother) house on a Sunday with my brothers and cousins, and waiting for her to take the meatballs out of the frying pan... we wouldn't even wait for them to cool - we would grab as many as we could (as she was screaming at us to leave the kitchen!!)!!! So GOOD!!!! :thumbup:

Sweet - thanks guys!

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Oh and don't worry if I didn't direct the post at you - please respond anyway. I'm looking to learn (and not give my wife food poisoning).

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Fresh Spanish rice + left over beef & sausage stew = delicious!

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Capital Grille.

I love Capital Grille, too bad I really don't have the funds to go there any longer.

Tonight - Mushroom Risotto with Italian Sausage. Turned out good. Wish I halved the amount of cheese in the recipe. Only put in about half the chicken stock before the rice was done, so I was a bit peeved that I had to pour the rest down the drain.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Thinking filet mignon tonight combined with the leftover risotto. Hopefully the mean will offset the super cheesiness of the risotto.

Any suggestions on preparing the mignon?

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Capital Grille, too bad I really don't have the funds to go there any longer.

Tonight - Mushroom Risotto with Italian Sausage. Turned out good. Wish I halved the amount of cheese in the recipe. Only put in about half the chicken stock before the rice was done, so I was a bit peeved that I had to pour the rest down the drain.

I do not have the funds either. Was there on a special assignment.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I do not have the funds either. Was there on a special assignment.

Oh do tell....

I was going to make a chicken / sausage / rice dish tonight, but that has been downgraded to either delivery or whatever my wife feels like picking up.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cranberry and walnut stuffed pork loin and some fresh green beans.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson