The Official US Soccer thread

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread dedicated for news on the USNT, Americans playing abroad, or on other US soccer subjects otherwise not notable enough for its own thread.

Bradley's initial roster as camp starts before the Sweden friendly.

GOALKEEPERS(4) – Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Will Hesmer (Columbus Crew), Matt Pickens (Chicago Fire), Zach Wells (D.C. United)

DEFENDERS (9) –Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Ramiro Corrales (SK Brann), Todd Dunivant (Toronto FC), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution), Eddie Robinson (Houston Dynamo), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

MIDFIELDERS (7) –Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Brian Davis (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire), Pat Noonan (New England Revolution)

FORWARDS (6) –Josmer Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (Kansas Cit y Wizards), Chris
Rolfe (Chicago Fire), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution), Jeremiah White (AGF Aarhus)

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_4554753.html

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking of driving out for that game but now I'm not so sure based on that roster.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Good idea for this thread.

Why is Twellman back on the roster? Pat Noonan too? Not exactly our "A" team but he's probably not requesting the guys from Europe to assure that their clubs will release them for the Mexico friendly. I do like seeing guys like Wynne, Clark, Edu, White and Altidore in camp.

I'm much more looking towards the Olympic tourney than I am the upcoming friendly's as I think the Olympic team is going to have some kids that will feature prominently in 2010 (Altidore, Edu, Bradley, Adu in particular). Also since I have tickets for the last 2 days of that tourney in Nashville I'm really looking forward to it.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new US soccer jersey. Its actually navy blue, it just looks black in the picture due to the lighting.

You must be registered for see images

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
ugh... that roster is just painful...

Is Bradley just trying to make all the MLS teams happy or what? Where is Pablo? i know why they didnt pick the European players but we can do better than that....

my USA starting 11 (using europeans)

Keep: Howard

Backs: *****, Carlos, Spector, Wynne

Mids: Beasley, Adu, Edu, Feilhaber

Strikers: Jozy, Dempsey

on the bench: e johnson, Bornstein, DeMerit, Friedel

carrying the water: twellman and landycakes

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ugh... that roster is just painful...

Is Bradley just trying to make all the MLS teams happy or what? Where is Pablo? i know why they didnt pick the European players but we can do better than that....

my USA starting 11 (using europeans)

Keep: Howard

Backs: *****, Carlos, Spector, Wynne

Mids: Beasley, Adu, Edu, Feilhaber

Strikers: Jozy, Dempsey

on the bench: e johnson, Bornstein, DeMerit, Friedel

carrying the water: twellman and landycakes

You would bench Donovan which is rediculous and as far as Freidel goes, you are about 5-7 years too late on that. Donovan haters are a joke.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
ok so friedel is kicking major butt as first team keeper for blackburn and keller can't even get a game for fulham.. Hahnemann has been letting in about 5 goals a game it seems for Reading.. Friedel is more then qualified to be sitting on the bench....

as far as landon donovan.. take the blinders off man he sucks plain and simple.. he had a great cup run in 02 but since he actually has to deal with pressure all he can do is take PKs...

You take shots at a roster and don't give one in return? lol you seem to be the joke... Who is your starting 11?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless of how he is playing in the EPL, Brad Friedel retired from national team duty back in 2005 so he isn't coming back. As for the Donovan comment, his games this year against Ecuador and Mexico (both of them) speak for itself.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
yea he is great against Guatemala and Costa Rica too wooo hooooo!!!!!!!!!!

He is still young enough to get out of the MLS and do something and become the great hype everyone wants him to be.. there were rumors that he was headed to Everton.. i think that would be great...

and yes I know Friedel has retired from International Duty but it's my starting 11 and he is the second best keeper in the US right now...

ahhh specking of retired internationals that reminds me McBride would definitely make my bench as well....

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
ok so friedel is kicking major butt as first team keeper for blackburn and keller can't even get a game for fulham.. Hahnemann has been letting in about 5 goals a game it seems for Reading.. Friedel is more then qualified to be sitting on the bench....

as far as landon donovan.. take the blinders off man he sucks plain and simple.. he had a great cup run in 02 but since he actually has to deal with pressure all he can do is take PKs...

You take shots at a roster and don't give one in return? lol you seem to be the joke... Who is your starting 11?

Hahnemann had 1 game with Reading where he let in 5 goals, he's done well aside from that. Friedel has retired, he isn't an option. Howard is first choice and should be backed up by some of the younger guys...Chris Seitz is our GK of the future, that guy is a more athletic Brad Friedel.

Donovan doesn't suck...Donovan also isn't as good as advertised either. He is extremely frustrating but name one player in the history of US Soccer that has scored at the clip that Donovan does? He needs to act like he wants to take his game to the next level(meaning leave MLS) and he needs to perform in games away off of US soil. Right now at this point in time he is the best field player US soccer has ever produced...hopefully Adu and Altidore will surpass him but they aren't there yet.

Also with your lineup--I'd move Dempsey back to the MF where he is more comfortable rather than the target forward role that Bradley has forced him into and I take Feilhaber off the field, you also have to find a place to put Michael Bradley who is quietly having the best season of any American field player in Europe, I'm not replacing Cherundolo with Wynne either since Cherundolo is our most steady defender for the past few years. Beasley is out for the next 6 months or so I guess my ideal lineup would look like this...

GK: Howard

Outside backs: Cherundolo, Spector

Center Backs: Onyewu, Bocanegra

Outside Mids: Dempsey, Donovan

Central Mids: Adu(more of the withdrawn forward that he played in the U20's), Edu, Bradley

Forward: Altidore

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
a 4-5-1 heh...

your lineup isn't bad... I dont really like Dempsey on the outside though and if Adu is playing the role of a holding type striker then i'd buy that..

Not sure about Donovan on the outside either unless that move is to try to get him some space...

Did forget about Bradley need him in there... at least the US is finally at a point where they have some options which is great...

No Donovan doesnt suck.. but he is nowhere near as good as people think he is... I would say Dempsey has already proven more outside of US then Donovan though...

Donovan couldn't hold a candle to McBride either, Donovan can still turn it around but imo if he contines at this pace then he doesnt make the starting 11 at the next world cup....

Reading... let in 6 vs Tott'ham, 4 vs Blackburn, 7 vs Portsmouth.. no its not all on the keeper.. but we can do better than him....

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
a 4-5-1 heh...

your lineup isn't bad... I dont really like Dempsey on the outside though and if Adu is playing the role of a holding type striker then i'd buy that..

Not sure about Donovan on the outside either unless that move is to try to get him some space...

Did forget about Bradley need him in there... at least the US is finally at a point where they have some options which is great...

No Donovan doesnt suck.. but he is nowhere near as good as people think he is... I would say Dempsey has already proven more outside of US then Donovan though...

Donovan couldn't hold a candle to McBride either, Donovan can still turn it around but imo if he contines at this pace then he doesnt make the starting 11 at the next world cup....

Reading... let in 6 vs Tott'ham, 4 vs Blackburn, 7 vs Portsmouth.. no its not all on the keeper.. but we can do better than him....

Dempsey's best games with the US have come as an outside MF. He looks lost up front, especially when they try to make him a target forward.

Dempsey is not a better international than Donovan right now. He just hasn't been a very consistent threat in US Nat games, and he plays against the same competition as Donovan yet Donovan creates and scores more often.

IMO Donovan is a much better player but in a much different role than McBride for a couple of reasons 1) he can create on his own and 2) pure speed. McBride was a target forward, great with the ball in the air and a threat everytime inside the 18 but Donovan can break someone down with the ball at his feet and then flat out run past them. Sure you'll never see Donovan fly over a couple of defenders on set pieces and hammer a ball home with his head but at the same time you never saw Brian McBride take a ball from the midfield line, split 2 defenders and outrace them to goal like Donovan did versus Mexico last year in Glendale. Sure if you wanted to try to pigeon hole Donovan as a target forward he wouldn't be able to hold a candle to McBride but they are different players, different roles.

I'm not a 100% Donovan backer, I wasn't happy when he begged out of the Copa America, I am rarely happy with his performances outside of the US (aside from WC 2002 and WC 2006 VS Italy). I really think he should go overseas because IMO if you want to be the best you need to seek out the best competiton. His game is as good as its gonna get, which is still pretty good BUT had he played in an ultra competitive environment for the past few years its scary to think how good he could be.

I find it funny that you have Eddie Johnson on your bench but have Donovan as a water boy...Johnson hasn't proven squat on the international level aside from one stretch when he first appeared and he disappeared in MLS after a hot start.

Hahnemann is older than Friedel, I believe he was the back-up on the 94 team IIRC. He shouldn't even be considered for our WC squad, we have too many talented younger players like Guzan, Seitz, Brown etc to hold a spot for him.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
yea i think we are going to have to agree to disagree on whether Donovan is a better player than Dempsey or not, i'm watching Dempsey every week be consistently the best player on the pitch for Fulham and I just hope he moves to a bigger club after Fulham gets dropped from the prem.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
yea i think we are going to have to agree to disagree on whether Donovan is a better player than Dempsey or not, i'm watching Dempsey every week be consistently the best player on the pitch for Fulham and I just hope he moves to a bigger club after Fulham gets dropped from the prem.

Club soccer doesn't mean squat if he doesn't produce consistently at the international level. Going in to the last WC Beasley was our best player overseas while at Eindhoven, he was their leading scorer during Champions League play(they reached the semi's)...he did nothing at the WC aside from one good pass to Dempsey.

Production at the national team level is the only way to compare these 2 and Dempsey doesn't come close to adding up...yet.

Compa

Registered
Reaction score
and keller can't even get a game for fulham..

I believe Keller would be the starting GK but has a long-term injury.

Also, as someone said, Dempsey looks to be consistently the most dangerous player on Fulham, and he looks a lot more effective/comfortable in the forward role than he did at the beginning of the season in the wing positions.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If we start playing a 4-5-1, then we're giving up before we've even started. Really, really good teams can play that formation and still be a real threat to score, but not all the time even then. For a team like us, it tells the competition that we don't really think we can compete, so we'll take a defensive stance and pray for a goal.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
when you have attacking players in the middle like we do.. Adu, Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan whoever else may play in the middle then i think a 4-5-1 could work because it gives you more options for different points of attack... England plays a 4-5-1 often as well.... Now if we were to play a 5-4-1 then i could definitely see us saying.. "Ok we are going to keep you out and pray for a counter and to win one nil"

I think we would be better off with a 4-4-2 though with Dempsey and Jozy up top with Adu playing a attacking mid position...

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
a striker's worth is measured by how many chances he can set up or score.. he did neither. the player of that match was easily Keller. playing with 10 men he is the one responsible for a pt.

plus i think mcbride was better that match as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Reaction score
when you have attacking players in the middle like we do.. Adu, Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan whoever else may play in the middle then i think a 4-5-1 could work because it gives you more options for different points of attack... England plays a 4-5-1 often as well.... Now if we were to play a 5-4-1 then i could definitely see us saying.. "Ok we are going to keep you out and pray for a counter and to win one nil"

I think we would be better off with a 4-4-2 though with Dempsey and Jozy up top with Adu playing a attacking mid position...

Sorry, but I don't buy that. If we had players like Essien in the midfield, or players one tier down but who are completely in synch as a team, then yes, I agree. We have at best average midfield players who are nowhere near creative enough for us to score on a regular basis in a 4-5-1.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
a striker's worth is measured by how many chances he can set up or score.. he did neither. the player of that match was easily Keller. playing with 10 men he is the one responsible for a pt.

plus i think mcbride was better that match as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Every publication had Donovan as the top rated US player in that match. Go back and watch it, he had the Italian defense on their heels. McBride did nothing during the entire WC aside from taking a blow to the face.

Keller did have a good match but he wasn't the one who gave the Italian MF and defense fits all night.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If we start playing a 4-5-1, then we're giving up before we've even started. Really, really good teams can play that formation and still be a real threat to score, but not all the time even then. For a team like us, it tells the competition that we don't really think we can compete, so we'll take a defensive stance and pray for a goal.

Good teams can generate their attack out of their midfield. You don't just throw players up front because you feel you need to throw players up front. Would you rather play Twellman or Eddie Johnson up front with Altidore and keep Bradley, Adu, Edu, Donovan or Dempsey on the bench?

While the US U20's were called a 4-3-3 they really played a 4-5-1 and were very succesful. Adu and Rogers played as MF behind Altidore..Rogers more out wide and Adu in the middle most of the time.

Stout

Reaction score
Good teams can generate their attack out of their midfield. You don't just throw players up front because you feel you need to throw players up front. Would you rather play Twellman or Eddie Johnson up front with Altidore and keep Bradley, Adu, Edu, Donovan or Dempsey on the bench?

While the US U20's were called a 4-3-3 they really played a 4-5-1 and were very succesful. Adu and Rogers played as MF behind Altidore..Rogers more out wide and Adu in the middle most of the time.

Yeah, but let's face it: we're not a good team. Oh sure, we're at the top of CONCACAF, but that's not saying much. As far as the world is concerned, we're middle-tier. And middle-tier teams don't sit back on offense, counterstrike, and truly hope to score. Unless they're one of those teams that bunker down at the beginning and hope for a draw, they don't.

Yes, we have some up-and-coming youngsters in Midfield, but they aren't world-class yet. That covers Bradley, Adu, and Edu. And, lest you forget, Donovan and Dempsey are actually forwards. Why not let them play their true position rather than push them back into midfield?

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
yea i hear ya.. i'm not a fan of a 4-5-1 either. When england lined up that way against croatia it made me cringe and they paid for it...

up top has got to be dempsey and jozy though....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose