The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I have some questions for those who watched the game. I know we didn't have all of our players, but which of our big names did we have? Did Sweden have their A squad, or were they mostly second teamers? If we played B side v. B side, that would be okay, but I hope we didn't play A side v B side. Also, how good did we look during the match? Did the final scoreline reflect our play, or no?

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Donovan was the only big name player on the pitch. Altidore will be a big name very soon. Guzan, Davis and Edu have the best shot at breaking into the A squad. Everyone else, IMO, was getting their first look or (hopefully) their last look.

I think this is why Max, the commentator, made the statement about "sending a message". It was our B/C side vs. their B/C side and the Americans dominated the play for the entire match. I have not seen the breakdown of the possession percentage, but I would not be surprised if the US squad controlled the ball twice as much as the Swedes.

The play was not perfect or often even exciting, but it doesn't diminish how well they controlled the game.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It was basically our players from our domestic league versus Sweden's players from their domestic league. Most of the players in that game won't be starting for either team in the next WC but a lot of them will play roles during qualifying.

Players like Drew Moor, Ramiro Corrales, Chris Rolfe are probably so far down the depth chart that they will fill a small role if any for the US.

BTW Guzan is being courted by Celtic...he'll be the next succesful US keeper in Europe.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
Alright so I watched a bunch of the convention this week.. kinda followed the MLS draft so I guess I was in a USA kinda mood on Saturday and figured why not watch the USA vs Sweden match up.

USA starting lineup: Yea sorry I don't really care about Sweden's players that much. They did play a 4-3-1-2 though

GK: Guzman
Backs: Moor, E Robinson, Conrad, Corrales
Mids: Donovan, Edu, Clark, Davis
F: Twellman, Noonan

Eddie Robinson is a 29 yr old mid field turned Defender and although it looks like he will likely never leave the MLS, he could definitely be a quality depth player for this team as they try to qualify for the world cup. He had a very nice finish for the 1st goal of the game.

The keeper Guzman is another player I didn't really know too much about, but he was the reason the US won this match. He will be a very capable backup for Tim Howard.

Other players to watch for. Edu played very well should get a spot on this team in a crowded mid field, Davis on the left side... really depends if Beasley is back because he would play behind Beasley as well as Convey, but he was solid. Landy on the outside right was interesting....

I'll tell you how great it is that when our European players get back Donovan will not be a lock for the starting 11. I'm glad he finished his pk and broke the record (how many of his goals were PKs? I'm even more glad he didn't do his whole ritual before the kick) anyways he did OK out on the right side. You would have to think Jozy and Dempsey would be the strikers and Edu, Bradley, Adu will be in the middle and Beasley on one side, so maybe Landy finds a home on the right side? If he does he will need to work on his crosses. As hard as I am on him he is only 25 still.

Second Half was a little easier to watch. Had more of a flow and you have to wonder how much Jozy helped with that.

Twellman, Corrales, Noonan didn't help there causes for more play time. Clark did well and caused some havoc though....

Overall it's a win over a quality opponent I don't know how many of there actual starters played and I don't really care..

Max Bretos sucks. He is such a homer and I think he just likes to hear himself talk. Again thank goodness for Christopher Sullivan for making this watchable....

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'll tell you how great it is that when our European players get back Donovan will not be a lock for the starting 11. I'm glad he finished his pk and broke the record (how many of his goals were PKs? I'm even more glad he didn't do his whole ritual before the kick) anyways he did OK out on the right side. You would have to think Jozy and Dempsey would be the strikers and Edu, Bradley, Adu will be in the middle and Beasley on one side, so maybe Landy finds a home on the right side? If he does he will need to work on his crosses. As hard as I am on him he is only 25 still.

Donovan is a lock to start as long as he is healthy and available--that is until the US develops a player who is of better quality. Oh and Dempsey STILL isn't a Forward (you are wasting his talents there)

The Mexico game falls on a FIFA International Date meaning clubs must release their teams for a minimum of 48 hours. That will be our first chance to see the full strength squad..minue Beasley who is still recovering from his injury (he won't be back until the spring sometime).

My guess at the 18 man roster(not who I'd pick just my guess)....

GK - Howard, Guzan & some MLS GK just to get training time
D- Bocanegra, Onyewu, Cherundolo, Spector, Davis
MF- Dempsey, Donovan, Edu, Clark, Bradley, Adu, Feilhaber
F- Altidore, Rolfe, Twellman

Other possibles...Ching (he plays in Houston so its a home game for him and he would take Twellman or Rolfe's spot), Noonan (because for some reason he keeps getting camp invites), Convey (if he gets 100% healthy and starts logging quality minutes), Parkhurst(he deserves more chances IMO), Bornstein (would be over Davis or Spector) & Wynne.

As usual they'll take 23 or so to camp...I expect the camp fodder guys to be guys who will be competing in the Olympics.

I don't expect Johnson there simply because he'll likely be training with a new team. Feilhaber may miss the game for that reason but though he is actively seeking a transfer it hasn't happened yet. I guess for that matter Guzan might be gone too...no reason for him to miss training with a new team to be a reserve for your national team in a friendly.

Compa

Registered
Reaction score

Other possibles...Ching (he plays in Houston so its a home game for him and he would take Twellman or Rolfe's spot), Noonan (because for some reason he keeps getting camp invites), Convey (if he gets 100% healthy and starts logging quality minutes), Parkhurst(he deserves more chances IMO), Bornstein (would be over Davis or Spector) & Wynne.

Are there any other strikers in the system? Has US Soccer given up on Johann Smith and Charlie Davies? They're both like 20-21 years old IIRC--not that young considering they'll be 22-23 by the World Cup.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Zeno. Donovan on the starting 11 is as big a lock as there has ever been. Did he turn you down an autograph or something grooooovy? Please keep Twellman home for the Mexico game. Bring anyone but him.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Are there any other strikers in the system? Has US Soccer given up on Johann Smith and Charlie Davies? They're both like 20-21 years old IIRC--not that young considering they'll be 22-23 by the World Cup.

I think Smith and Davies best chance to impress will be during the Olympics. Davies wasn't even given the courtesy of a serious look with that Copa America joke team that we sent.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
With the lack of dept up-top, I've never understood why Alecko Eskandarian has never been given a serious look. He had a couple of good years with DC United. I'm also a big fan of - when in doubt... go with youth - but has Clint Mathis and Jovan Kirovski completely blown any shot for a space on the national team? At least they once had potential... a decade ago. Other than Jozy and EJ, I honestly can't think of anyone else.

It will be interesting to see if Bradley invites any of the U-23 players... or just let them train and concentrate for the Olympic tourney.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
LOL no donovan didnt turn me down for an autograph.... but he did sit out of the Colorado game last season and that ticked me off... he turned down playing for the Copa America because he wanted to save teh Galaxy and that ticked me off... I thought i gave him some props and said he may find a home on the outside right and that he was only 25! there is still some hope for him.. He makes the roster and will most likely start, I just said he isn't a lock as much as a lock as he used to be...

Convey better be on that roster especially over Feilhaber who can't buy a game right now..... He is playing steady minutes for reading and is looking pretty good.. i LOVED how him and Rio got into it last weekend...

I would call up Eddie Robinson too over Davis.. the other 4 look solid. I think he showed he deserves a call up.

i guess if Dempsey is consistently playing striker for Fulham and is consistently one of there best players on the pitch I'll go with there judgment that he actually IS a striker...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Zeno, if Rolfe and Twellman are our other 2 strikers for that game, I'll puke.

I'm just basing on what we've seen from Bradley so far, remember last year versus Mexico he had Donovan and Rolfe start up top. To pair up 2 5' 8" strikers who don't come even close to complementing each other was one of the worst tactical moves I'd seen. Luckily the US scored on a set piece and then again once Rolfe was off the field and Donovan assumed a more midfield/withdrawn striker role. Then in the Gold Cup it was Johnson and Twellman, they were a fairly ineffective pair of strikers. I honestly believe that had Rolfe been healthy he would have been included on that roster too.

If it were up to me Twellman and Rolfe would never see the bench in another US nat game ever. I'm not a big Ching fan but I think even he brings more to the table than Rolfe, Twellman or Noonan...but thats not really saying a lot.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
i guess if Dempsey is consistently playing striker for Fulham and is consistently one of there best players on the pitch I'll go with there judgment that he actually IS a striker...

Fulham even lists Dempsey as a Midfielder on their website. They are playing him out of position because they have no choice. he's a much more effective MF, not the kind of target forward that Bradley tries to make of him. Again watch the South Africa game, he was mostly useless and it was obvious he wasn't comfrtable in the role he was being asked to play.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score

Great post. Got me thinking who I would like to see invited to camp. I have left off all of the youngsters (Jozy, Bradley, Parkhurst, etc.) because, IMO, will be training with the U-23 squad and will see call-ups to the national team, in the near future.

So, the older players I would like to see get consideration:

G -
Tim Howard
Brad Guzan
Troy Perkins / Nick Rimando

D -
Steve Cherundolo
Oguchi Onyewu
Carlos Bocanegra
Jay Demerit
Jonathan Bornstein
Frank Simek
Nat Borchers
Drew Moor

M -
Landon Prima-Donovan
Clint Dempsey
Ben Olsen
Bobby Convey
Heath Pearce
Benny Feilhaber
Ricardo Clark
Brad Davis
Justin Mapp
Joshua Gross

F-
Eddie Johnson
Kenny Cooper
Alecko Eskandarian
Clint Mathis / Jovan Kirovski

Just wondering if there is any player, over 23, that y'all like more or would automatically remove from this list?

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
I think you have to add Spector to that list, he is consistently in the starting 11 for West Ham. I would add Eddie Robinson as well...

I admit I don't watch a lot of MLS, but I do see Jovan play semi regularly and he just doesn't cut it. I wouldn't put Mathis on this list either..

I think if your adding old guys you might as well add Eddie Lewis to this list, he still plays regularly for Derby...

Looking at a group without the U 23 guys makes you realize we are so weak up top it's sick...

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Ugh... forgot all about Jonathan Spector. I went back-and-forth on Robinson, he would be a good call-up. Never gave Lewis any consideration, JMO on his skill and age.

Yea, when making this list of forwards, I began to think... I really can't blame Bradley for always bringing in Twellman.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Ugh... forgot all about Jonathan Spector. I went back-and-forth on Robinson, he would be a good call-up. Never gave Lewis any consideration, JMO on his skill and age.

Yea, when making this list of forwards, I began to think... I really can't blame Bradley for always bringing in Twellman.

Spector is Olympic age eligible so by your criteria he should be left off the list.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think Kenny Cooper needs to get more looks, to me he has more physical tools to offer then Twellman. His problem seems to be staying healthy.

I'd add Michael Parkhurst to your list of defenders, I'd rather have him than Robinson, Borchers or Moor. I really think if he is given a fair shot he'll impress.

Yeah our depth at forward stinks in the worst way. I really think a lot of that fault is rooted in the US Youth Soccer system which insists on training the creativity and individuality out of kids at an early age. We still haven't learned from the unstructured training principles of the more succesful soccer countries.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Mexico game camp roster...

From Soccer By Ives...

U.S. men's national team coach Bob Bradley recalled 21 players from the team's earlier camp for training ahead of the upcoming friendly against Mexico in Houston on Feb. 6.

Landon Donovan leads an MLS-heavy list of players who should make up a good portion of the roster that will face Mexico at Reliant Stadium in two weeks (But you should expect some European-based call-ups as well). Here is the roster:

GOALKEEPERS – Steve Cronin (LA Galaxy), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Will Hesmer (Columbus Crew), Zach Wells (D.C. United)

DEFENDERS –Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Ramiro Corrales (SK Brann), Todd Dunivant (Toronto FC), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution), Eddie Robinson (Houston Dynamo)

MIDFIELDERS –Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire), Pat Noonan (New England Revolution)

FORWARDS – Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution), Jeremiah White (AGF Aarhus)

Bradley will add some European-based players to this group for the match, but it appears unlikely that Bradley will call in a full-strength squad. You may recall that he didn't call in a full-strength squad against Mexico last February in Phoenix and the U.S. team beat a full-strength Mexico squad, 2-0.

Blech. Corrales, Rolfe, Twellman, Beckerman??? All garbage. Hopefully Dempsey, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Howard and Adu are called in.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
OK... everyone is from MLS with a few exceptions. Is Bradley trying to be coy with a rival? I was hoping for a full squad against Mexico. It is only a friendly... but I'm very disappointed.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
that roster is a joke....

kyle beckerman? seriously you have to be kidding......

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zeno your complaining about the US forwards and saying other guys should get looks. They all suck. Even the ones that 'should get looks'. The fact that we have the starters we do says enough about the rest. It will be 10 years minimum before we have what the rest of the world would call a below average striker. Right now we dont even have that. Ching might be the best we have.

But complaining about the coach maiing bad decisions at forward is like blaming the Bohemian government for not fielding any good skiers. :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Zeno your complaining about the US forwards and saying other guys should get looks. They all suck. Even the ones that 'should get looks'. The fact that we have the starters we do says enough about the rest. It will be 10 years minimum before we have what the rest of the world would call a below average striker. Right now we dont even have that. Ching might be the best we have.

Ching isn't even in the class of Altidore and Altidore isn't even 19 yrs old yet. Altidore will be in Europe in the next winter transfer season and he'll be making plays. He's learning to be a pro in MLS and he'll be ready for a move to Europe before he is 20 yrs old.

No way is the US team 10 yrs away from having a world clas striker--4 or 5 at most. Our young players are developing or did you miss their performance in the U20's?

There is a lot to be excited for with our youth. Look at Michael Bradley, he just scored his 15th goal of the season for Heerenven and he plays DEFENSIVE midfielder. That 15 goals by the way is the record for an American in a single season in Europe. He just turned 20 yrs old. He'll probably move to a bigger club, hopefully in Italy or Spain where he'll be able to play skillful attractive soccer, in the next transfer season and probably set a record for highest transfer fee ever paid for an American. Adu is learning from Rui Costa in Benfica and scoring goals off the bench in his first season. Adu will likely start earning starts next season and we'll see his skill escalate(lets not forget he isn't even 19 yet either). Adu can play the withdrawn striker role as he proved in the U20's. Jonothan Spector is starting and playing well for West Ham.

My complaint with Bob Bradley is the fact that he continues to roll out the same tired forwards no matter how much they fail at the international level. I'd rather see him give someone younger a chance to make a name for himself. Cooper is 23, is a huge player(6' 3"), skillful and has a good soccer background, he deserves a shot--his one and only appearance for the Nats he scored a very nice goal and Bradley hasn't given him a chance since. I just can't understand how a guy can score 17 goals in the reserves for Man U as an 18 yr old and totally fall off the face of the earth as far as his country is concerned.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
wow Zeno. I wasn't sure i could say this, but I have to agree with just about everything you wrote in that post....

Funny that when we played the last world cup we had keller and 10 others who were strikers turned other position field players...

I def think Jozy and Adu is our future up top... until then the best we could do is Landy and Dempsey i guess..

Ching is a McBride wannabe type player.. He is pretty solid in the MLS and will score a ton of Header goals off corners and crosses, but I'm not so sure he can progress to th enext level...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson