The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
FWIW

Here are player ratings from Soccer America...

USA-MEXICO
U.S. PLAYER RATINGS
GRADE PLAYER (CLUB) GP/G
STARTERS
7 Tim Howard (Everton/ENG) 27/0
4 Drew Moor (FC Dallas) 4/0
6 Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham/ENG) 54/8
7 Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege/BEL) 14/1
4 Ramiro Corrales (SK Brann/NOR) 6/0
4 Bobby Convey (Reading/ENG) 46/1
4 Michael Bradley (Heerenveen/NED) 15/1
5 Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo) 12/1
6 Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy) 98/35
7 Jozy Altidore (Red Bull New York) 3/0
5 Clint Dempsey (Fulham/ENG) 37/9
SUBSTITUTES
5 Benny Feilhaber (Derby/ENG) 15/2
5 Freddy Adu (Benfica/POR) 3/0
5 Eddie Lewis (Derby County/ENG) 74/8
nr Maurice Edu (Toronto FC) 3/0
(1=low; 5=average; 10=high)

I'm trying to find other match ratings. Just to compare.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Goal.com player ratings...

FIRST ELEVEN

Tim Howard (6.5) – tested early a couple of times. He was courageous off his line to deal with a dangerous cross and did well to save (and hold) from distance twice before the 30-minute mark. He was left out to dry on both goals, but was steady in his dealings with everything else.

Ramiro Corrales (5.0) – weakest of the back four in the first half and committed the foul that led to the first goal. Gave the ball away and didn’t look sharp at all. Only fitting that he received a yellow card late in the game.

Oguchi Oneywu (6.5) – scored an ugly, but important goal in the 29th minute against the run of play. Strong in the air and was extremely physically dominant. Took care of the ball and was far from his usual clumsy self. Really seems to be making some positive progress.

Carlos Bocanegra (6.5) – once again, he validated his new role as Captain. After getting clobbered by Howard, he returned un-phased. He did well stepping in to deal with the Mexican forwards in the hole and showed a pension for striking balls over distance.

Drew Moor (5.5) – an interesting outing. His man beat him to the ball on both Mexican goals. Both times he looked lost, facing his man and not able to see the ball. However, he hit an absolutely superb cross into Altidore which resulted in the second American goal.

Bobby Convey (5.0) – One word: vanilla. Not dynamic and too content to serve the ball into the teeth of the defense. Needs to get to the end line if he’s going to play out wide. Good in the middle third playing in combination, but blatantly runs out of ideas in the final third.

Michael Bradley (6.5) – engine of the midfield, and of the team, for that matter. Very good at playing first-time forward in possession and getting to second balls. Needs to take better care of the ball when he has time and minimize his tendency to dive in.

Ricardo Clark (6.0) – raw and athletic. Pretty much invisible save for a few tackles. Similar to Bradley, but just not as good. Would have rather seen Maurice Edu or Benny Feilhaber slide into his spot.

Landon Donovan (6.5) – quiet throughout the game, as the Mexicans were really monitoring his touches. When he was switched on and was able to get the ball he was good, however. Great crosser of the ball. He did well to put the ball back into the mixer on the Americans’ first goal. Won his personal battle with Carlos Salcido.

Clint Dempsey (6.0) – looked strong and confident. The only American in the first half to really mix it up, getting shots, clipping good balls forward, and taking people off the dribble. Scored a great goal only to have it called back in the 42nd minute. Faded in the second half.

Jozy Altidore (6.5) – a manly 18-year-old striker. He showed good body positioning and good tactical positioning, which he demonstrated as he scored a great goal on a perfect ball from Moor. He wasn’t overwhelming, but for his first crack at it, one can only say that he may need to get these kinds of games every week.

SUBSTITUTIONS

Benny Feilhaber (6.0) – came on for Bradley in the 62nd minute. He definitely showed enough to make one think it might have been nice to have him in the game longer. His ability in possession coupled with his willingness to defend make him valuable.

Freddy Adu (6.0) – in for Dempsey in the 62nd minute. Had some small, smart touches, but nothing significant in his 30 minutes. He did look very dangerous late in the game as he took on a mess of Mexicans on the left side of the field. He’s another player that it would have been to good to see more of.

Eddie Lewis (5.5) – replaced Convey in the 69th minute. It would be easy to say he was better than Convey, but he still wasn’t very active. Not bad, not good.

Maurice Edu (NR) – subbed for Clark in the 78th minute and didn’t have a lot of time to make an impact. He may have been difficult for the Mexicans to deal with due to his physical prowess and ability to play both ways. Next time, maybe.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
the ratings from soccer america are hilarious.... Jozy a 7 and clint and benny and adu get 5s?

The ones from goal seem a bit more accurate imo...

everyone is going to pin point on something different i guess....

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And even though it was mostly Mexico fans at the stadium, it is really cool to see the US in a packed high-capacity stadium (as opposed to a sparsely filled place like Toyota Park).

I disagree. In fact, I strongly disagree. I absolutely loathe the fact that U.S. Soccer cowtows and kisses the feet of Mexican fans for OUR HOME GAMES just so they can get fannies in the seats. It would be great if our home games would, you know, be home games where maybe, just maybe, they cheer for us instead of our rivals.

If we have a home qualifier against Mexico in the coming WC qualifiers, and we don't put the game as north as possible, we'll be friggin' idiots.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I disagree. In fact, I strongly disagree. I absolutely loathe the fact that U.S. Soccer cowtows and kisses the feet of Mexican fans for OUR HOME GAMES just so they can get fannies in the seats. It would be great if our home games would, you know, be home games where maybe, just maybe, they cheer for us instead of our rivals.

If we have a home qualifier against Mexico in the coming WC qualifiers, and we don't put the game as north as possible, we'll be friggin' idiots.

You can almost guarantee any qualifiers against Mexico will be played in either New England or Columbus. They've learned from that mistake, WCQ aren't about making money...friendlies are.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Player ratings from ESPN.com

Player ratings (scale 1-10):

Tim Howard, 6 -- No fault on the goals, although maybe you could maybe nitpick that he could have come for the first goal-producing service. He claimed the crosses that needing claiming, gobbled up the efforts from range and got after his defenders at the right moments.

Drew Moor, 4 -- A few things good, like setting up the second U.S. goal and reasonably efficient passing. But he's on the hook for two huge boo-boos, as Jonny Magallon got by him for both Mexican goals. That's hardly what Moor needed in making a case to understudy for Steve Cherundolo.

Carlos Bocanegra, 6 -- Bob Bradley's preferred center back pairing looks more comfortable together with each match. The Fulham vet was sure in the tackle and never beaten over the top.

Oguchi Onyewu, 7 -- The big man did it all on the first goal, causing havoc by heaving a mighty throw-in, then powering his way up for a huge goal. At the other end, Onyewu is beginning to look less like a young project and more like a leader.

Ramiro Corrales, 4 -- It's tough to see him as the answer at left back, even temporarily. He looked uncertain all night, like he was always about to make a mistake. His foul led to El Tri's opening goal, and he was never a threat going forward.

Landon Donovan, 6 -- The one U.S. player who did something from wide spots. Caused some limited trouble with pace on the right side and set up Onyewu's goal. Still, as the team's go-to, you'd like to see Donovan hunt and probe and find the ways to influence big matches.

Michael Bradley, 4 -- Not the best night for Bradley, despite a confident and active start. Never exploited his specialty, the late run into the penalty area. A bit sloppy after the break. And like the rest of the midfield, never supplied the forwards enough to work with.

Ricardo Clark, 5 -- A pretty average night. Not bad. Not great. Nothing special. His passing was typically competent, but rarely incisive. Clark did what he does best: competed hard.

Bobby Convey, 4 -- The U.S. left midfielder contributed absolutely nothing to the match. Never linked with Corrales, couldn't run at people, lost some early battles with Castro and never got into crossing spots. With DaMarcus Beasley injured, he had a big chance to seize the spot.

Clint Dempsey, 5 -- Scored a terrific goal that was called back for offside. Doesn't have much chemistry with strike-partner Altidore, which isn't surprising given limited time together. A pretty quiet night overall.

Jozy Altidore, 7 -- Probably the busiest man on the pitch. Certainly didn't look out of place despite being the youngest of 22 starters and playing in a somewhat pressurized environment. His goal was a cracker. All in all a promising show from the youngster.

Substitutes

Benny Feilhaber, 6 -- Had a settling effect on a team that needed it, giving the Americans a little more possession. Did mangle one late, routine possession, which nearly proved costly.

Freddy Adu, 6 -- Set up one of the Americans precious few dangerous free kicks by going at two defenders. Provided a useful delivery on his one corner kick.

Eddie Lewis, 5 -- At 35 years old, he isn't the answer going forward at left midfield. On the other hand, he delivered exactly what you expect in 20 minutes: a couple of good tackles and reliable possession.

Maurice Edu, 5 -- Played the last 11 minutes for Ricardo Clark and got immediately into the physical battles and didn't back down.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
IMO the best ratings were the ESPN.Com ones. Very accurate account of the match and matches pretty closely to what I observed during the match.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Michael Bradley scored again for Heerenven..thats his seventh goal in 6 games and 17th for the season.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
CHICAGO (AP) -- The U.S. Soccer Federation finalized exhibition games for the American national team at Poland on March 26 and at Spain on June 4.

The game at Poland will be played in Krakow, the USSF said Monday. The site for the game in Spain has not yet been set.

USSF president Sunil Gulati said last week the federation is negotiating to play a top five team in the northeast United States on June 8. Argentina appears to be the most likely possibility.

In addition, the News of the World reported Sunday that the United States may replace Scotland as an opponent for England in an exhibition game at Wembley on May 28.

The United States is preparing for the start of World Cup qualifying, against Barbados or Dominica on June 15 at Carson, Calif. Poland and Spain are getting ready for the European Championship, which opens June 7.

Stout

Reaction score
CHICAGO (AP) -- The U.S. Soccer Federation finalized exhibition games for the American national team at Poland on March 26 and at Spain on June 4.

The game at Poland will be played in Krakow, the USSF said Monday. The site for the game in Spain has not yet been set.

USSF president Sunil Gulati said last week the federation is negotiating to play a top five team in the northeast United States on June 8. Argentina appears to be the most likely possibility.

In addition, the News of the World reported Sunday that the United States may replace Scotland as an opponent for England in an exhibition game at Wembley on May 28.

The United States is preparing for the start of World Cup qualifying, against Barbados or Dominica on June 15 at Carson, Calif. Poland and Spain are getting ready for the European Championship, which opens June 7.

Man, you beat me to the punch! I like these games. Sure, I think we'll be humbled quite a bit, but it's only before we play Barbados or Dominica, whom we should beat out of hand. I think Bradley needs a few wake-up calls, and we either get those wake-up calls, or we somehow get great overnight.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Man, you beat me to the punch! I like these games. Sure, I think we'll be humbled quite a bit, but it's only before we play Barbados or Dominica, whom we should beat out of hand. I think Bradley needs a few wake-up calls, and we either get those wake-up calls, or we somehow get great overnight.

Yeah that'll be a great measuring stick--Poland, Spain, Argentina & England, all teams from the past WC. Spain(9-1-2 in Euro qualifiers) & Argentina probably as good as anyone in the world right now and England at Wembley is awesome.

Hopefully we can find some answers at the outside backs prior to those matches.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
I'm hoping the other teams take the game some what seriously because these could be huge for us..

Spain will be getting ready for the Euro 2008 and will want some momentum going in....

England will most likely use the match as a way to highlight Beckham getting his 100th cap...

Playing Argentina would just be great... even there 3rd -4th team would take us to school.....

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Soccer By Ives, the US will play Argentina at Giants Stadium on June 8th, 4 days after playing Spain (in Spain).

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
Just Gotta love watching the Fulham/Everton match and watching old man McBride out playing Johnson and Dempsey (even though Dempsey only got like 4 min)... also love how Keller out plays Howard... wooo hoooo!!!

Still wish we could use Friedel and McBride at least for qualifying to help these younger kids out....

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
What has been written by Fulham supporters is that EJ played very well, his speed caused problems for Everton all day. His shots were off the mark and is still out of position on some plays, but he seems to have regained his aggresion and shooting confidence.

McBride's value may be much more than his play on the pitch. Bocanegra was vastly improving when playing with Brian. When McBride went down, Carlos' game declined. Now, Johnson is beginning to show signs of potential with a good game and being named to the starting XI.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
i don't understand why people say EJ had a good match.... every time he had space on the outside he slowed down and then tried to do scissor moves like he was ronaldo without the great cross...

dempsey HAS been Fulhams best player all season... i am a huge Dempsey supporter, but you have to wonder why he isn't getting on the pitch with McBride at all....

Compa

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think Johnson had a good game, but he was constantly involved. That should be somewhat promising. There have been plenty of games where he has been completely MIA when playing for the US.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i don't understand why people say EJ had a good match.... every time he had space on the outside he slowed down and then tried to do scissor moves like he was ronaldo without the great cross...

dempsey HAS been Fulhams best player all season... i am a huge Dempsey supporter, but you have to wonder why he isn't getting on the pitch with McBride at all....
He will, I think he needs a rest more than anything. He will get back in the team soon enough, hopefully out wide this time.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
I didn't think Johnson had a good game, but he was constantly involved. That should be somewhat promising. There have been plenty of games where he has been completely MIA when playing for the US.

he looked out of his depth to me - imho!

i am sure it was just that game as i i havent seen them pleay too much in the last few months. I i'm sure he will knock one in the onion bag against Sunderland in two week time now i've siad that too :(

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
May 28th at Wembley is now official.

Tough stretch for the Nats...

May 28 at England
June 4th at Spain
June 8th home Vs Argentina

Its great to see a tough measuring stick, we'll definitely face the A teams of England and Spain being thats they are hosting...no telling what we'll see from Argentina.

Twellman & Rolfe better not make any of those rosters.

Stout

Reaction score
May 28th at Wembley is now official.

Tough stretch for the Nats...

May 28 at England
June 4th at Spain
June 8th home Vs Argentina

Its great to see a tough measuring stick, we'll definitely face the A teams of England and Spain being thats they are hosting...no telling what we'll see from Argentina.

Twellman & Rolfe better not make any of those rosters.

I hate to say it, but we'll get massacred in those games. We might only lose by 1 or 2 at England, but Spain will romp on us, and Argentina...*shudder*...I don't even want to think about it.

We aren't going the direction we need to go, and as such, we'll retain the status quo: Giants of CONCACAF, minnows in the world. Arena got us some respect, and brought us to the top of CONCACAF, but that's all he was going to do. When he left, we had our chance to bring in a bona-fide, big-time coach that could bring a European or South American style and experience to our team. Instead we hired Arena's assistant. ??? Stupid then, stupid now. Add to that some players *cough cough* Donovan *cough cough* who do not try nearly hard enough to improve and instead play it safe, and we're a long way from true respectability.

There, rant over. Whew, I didn't even know that was coming!

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People said the same thing before the US played Brazil last year, but they did alright. They certainly played a lot better than the score would indicate. I'd say more, but I'd just wind up ranting about diving. Again.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but we'll get massacred in those games. We might only lose by 1 or 2 at England, but Spain will romp on us, and Argentina...*shudder*...I don't even want to think about it.

We aren't going the direction we need to go, and as such, we'll retain the status quo: Giants of CONCACAF, minnows in the world. Arena got us some respect, and brought us to the top of CONCACAF, but that's all he was going to do. When he left, we had our chance to bring in a bona-fide, big-time coach that could bring a European or South American style and experience to our team. Instead we hired Arena's assistant. ??? Stupid then, stupid now. Add to that some players *cough cough* Donovan *cough cough* who do not try nearly hard enough to improve and instead play it safe, and we're a long way from true respectability.

There, rant over. Whew, I didn't even know that was coming!

I feel the same frustration...with so many decent options on the table why pick Bradley?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson