The Official US Soccer thread

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
If anyone saw the Villarreal/Madrid match this weekend you would have to say that Rossi is by far our most talented US born striker right now...

That guy is just sick.. I guess he has three days till he turns 21 and then he will be lost to USA forever which is a bummer because he would be great for us and he won't be able to buy a game with the Italy squad....

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If anyone saw the Villarreal/Madrid match this weekend you would have to say that Rossi is by far our most talented US born striker right now...

That guy is just sick.. I guess he has three days till he turns 21 and then he will be lost to USA forever which is a bummer because he would be great for us and he won't be able to buy a game with the Italy squad....

Its one thing to have a dream and another altogether to have an unrealistic dream. I am willing to bet he makes the bench in Italy but he'd start and play significant minutes with the US.

Could you imagine Rossi and Altidore up top for us in 2010???

Its too bad that he doesn't want to play for the country where he was born and raised. I can understand he is doing it for his family but still...

I know Adu is from Ghana but he was raised in the US.

There another kid who plays for Mexico but is a US citizen--can't remember his name, we can blame that defection on US Soccer though, they could have had them had they tried. US Soccer isn't to blame when it comes to Rossi they've made the effort...it just never worked out.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Guzan reportedly has a 2 million p0und offer from Aston Villa on the table now. Thats more than Celtic offered--almost double actually. There could be 5 US keepers starting on one day in the EPL -- Howard, Hahnemann, Friedel, Guzan & Keller(although its unlikely Keller will play much he could still play as an injury replacement).

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I respect Rossi going for the brass ring. If he makes the starting 11 for Italy, the endorsement dollars (or euros) will be huge. I agree this will not be easy for him, but can not blame him for trying.

Imagining him paired with Jozy would be a beautiful thing... and a sure thing.

I think he (and his family, and his agent) factored in the risk/reward and decided Italy was the best choice for his career. Frustrating as a US fan, but completely understandable.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Guzan reportedly has a 2 million p0und offer from Aston Villa on the table now. Thats more than Celtic offered--almost double actually. There could be 5 US keepers starting on one day in the EPL -- Howard, Hahnemann, Friedel, Guzan & Keller(although its unlikely Keller will play much he could still play as an injury replacement).

I don't think MLS should let Guzan go cheap. He is a quality keeper, organizes the back line well, young, his stock is sky-rocketting after his last performance, and clubs are anxious to sign while the window is open.

I'm not sure what a proper value for Brad should be... but 1-2 mil seems too low.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't think MLS should let Guzan go cheap. He is a quality keeper, organizes the back line well, young, his stock is sky-rocketting after his last performance, and clubs are anxious to sign while the window is open.

I'm not sure what a proper value for Brad should be... but 1-2 mil seems too low.

Thats pounds at the current exchange rate its about $4 million which is more than Man U paid for Howard.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New home jersey, to be worn against Mexico in February.

You must be registered for see images

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
they need to try to get some sort of tradition.... notice Brazil and England don't change there jersey every friggin year....

i would go with this... too bad the nike symbol is so friggin big though...

You must be registered for see images

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Brazil actually does change their jersey every year...they like the US have Nike kits, but for them while the collars, piping, lettering or numbers change the colors always stay the same. Its harder to notice though as they never do something drastic. We'll never see them add horizontal stripes though.

I actually prefer the US blue kit much better than white or than the old red one.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
when you think of brazil you think of the yellow and green... the jersey is always a basic yellow.. sure they will maybe tweak with a green edge or small stripe, but you knew where iw as going with it..

we drastically change our jersey to make a quick buck every major tournament we can make...

just like the womens team... i had no problem with the pink jerseys for the breast cancer game.. but changing it to the ugly gold jersey was a joke...

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Soccer By Ives, Twellman is out for the Mexico game due to a groin injury.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Final Mexico Roster...

GOALKEEPERS : Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton FC)

DEFENDERS : Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Ramiro Corrales (SK Brann), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Eddie Robinson (Houston Dynamo)

MIDFIELDERS : Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Bobby Convey (Reading FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Eddie Lewis (Derby County)

FORWARDS : Jozy Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Pat Noonan (Aalesund FK)

Thats a decent roster..it will be interesting to see what kind of lineup Bradley rolls out from those. The guarantees are Onyewu, Bocanegra, Howard, Dempsey, Donovan & Bradley will start..after that its anyones guess. I'm guessing Cherundolo is unavailable for some reason?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
GOALKEEPERS : Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton FC)

DEFENDERS : Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Ramiro Corrales (SK Brann), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Eddie Robinson (Houston Dynamo)

MIDFIELDERS : Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Bobby Convey (Reading FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Eddie Lewis (Derby County)

FORWARDS : Jozy Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Pat Noonan (Aalesund FK)

Thats a decent roster..it will be interesting to see what kind of lineup Bradley rolls out from those. The guarantees are Onyewu, Bocanegra, Howard, Dempsey, Donovan & Bradley will start..after that its anyones guess. I'm guessing Cherundolo is unavailable for some reason?

I want to see Altodore and Adu get some quality minutes, and I also want to see Landon score because I know how much Mexicans hate Landon. Good line up. Should be a great match.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Its funny that Lewis is named to the squad when Derby just reported a couple of days ago he'd be out for a month with a knee injury. Was US Soccer not aware or did the injury come after they filed the roster? is it too late to name a replacement? To be honest he is too old to be on the roster anyway...33 now, 36 by the time the next WC starts.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
With the exception of the RB absences of Cherundolo and Spector, I like this roster. Bradley has a number of central defenders on the squad. I hope to see Bocanegra moved to the left and Pearce subed in at the 45 minute mark.

I'm really excited to see Bradley/Edu/Feilhaber in the middle. It will be interesting to see if Donovan is put wide again... and which formation they play.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
this roster isn't too shabby.. Lewis being on here is a joke though..

The defenders need some work.. Spector is good enough to start for West Ham but not good enough to get on this team when there are 3 MLS players and a kid I have no idea about from Norway? Parkhurst is the real deal but come on...

unfortunate that Donovan is listed as a striker... hopefully they put him out wide on the right and start convey on the left...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
My guess at the lineup...

This is my guess not necessarily what I think it should look like...

.........Dempsey Noonan

Convey Bradley Edu Donovan

Pearce Bocanegra Onyewu Moor

.................Howard

I think Feilhaber's lack of playing time and confidence keeps him from starting, Adu & Altidore are going to be brought in slowly by Bradley (right or wrong), Parkhurst isn't a right back and I don't see him ahead of ***** or Bocanegra at this point. I could see Donovan moving up top replacing Noonan, Edu shifting to the right and Calrk or Feilhaber moving in to the center of the midfield....just my guess. I'd rather not see Bobby Convey or Noonan start and would like to see Adu & Altidore in the starting 11....just not sure who would shift out left so that Adu could either play center mid or a withdrawn striker.

Any other guesses out there?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure hope Noonan doesn't get the start. I wonder what Ching and Cooper are doing these days if we're in bad enough shape to use Noonan.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
Dempsey/Jozy
Convey - Adu - Bradley - Donovan
Bocanegra - ***** - Parkhurst - Pearce

I could see them putting Carlos out on the outside eventually, he can't seem to handle the middle like he used too and is losing minutes for Fulham...

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
My turn....

Guzan - No disrespect to Timmy. Brad needs the caps.

Moor -- ***** -- Parkhurst -- Bocanegra (Pearce on/Carlos off 45 min)

Dempsey/Donovan -- Bradley -- Edu (Feilhaber sub) -- Davis (Convey sub)

Dempsey/Donovan (Adu on 45 min)

Jozy

I would like to see how Altidore takes the pressure of being alone and depended apon for a full 90. There could be some real battles for spots on the left and how the youngsters in the middle can manage a game will show how exciting 2010 can be.

Speaking of the left... anyone quess why Bornstein has droped off the map? I thought he was a perfect LB for Bradley's attack-from-the-back-wide style.

Last edited: