OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mesa Miners improved their record to 39-30 and took sole position of first place in the Arizona Division by winning both games of a doubleheader against the Fullerton Flyers (25-42) at HoHoKam Park in Mesa, Arizona.

Mesa starter in game one was Manny Ayala (11-2) who became the Golden Baseball League’s first 11-game winner as Mesa beat Fullerton 2-1 in nine innings of a seven inning game. Ayala pitched a nine inning complete game giving up one run (none earned) on four hits. He also walked none and struck out nine batters. The Flyers scored first with an RBI single by Terrance McClain in the second inning. The Miners came right back with a run of their own in the second with an RBI single by Kevin Reinking. The game remained tied at 1-1 until the ninth inning when Caleb Maher hit a walk-off sacrifice fly.

Mesa pitching coach and former major league pitcher Mike Hartley made his Miners debut in game two. Hartley went 4.2 innings giving up four runs on eight hits. Mesa went up 2-0 in the third inning with a 2-run home run by Marcus Jensen. Fullerton scored four times in the fifth to take a 4-2 lead. The Miners closed the gap to 4-3 with an RBI single by Cleatus Davidson in the bottom of the fifth inning. Down 4-3 in the last inning, the Miners tied the game at 4-4 with an RBI groundout by Adam Bonner and then won the game when Fullerton reliever Ryan Olson threw a wild pitch. Tim Saunders (1-0) made his Miners and professional debut and won the game in relief.

:thumbup:

Two great games - plus they raised some money for Breast Cancer Awareness. :cool:

Go Miners !!!

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bad news. I've gotten word from a pretty reliable source that the Mesa Miners, and probably the whole GBL is gonna fold at season's end. Say it isn't so.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
Bad news. I've gotten word from a pretty reliable source that the Mesa Miners, and probably the whole GBL is gonna fold at season's end. Say it isn't so.

I haven't heard anything like that.

From the beginning I've always heard that it would last at least 3 years just based on the amount raised by investors.

Mesa just inked a radio deal for the final 8 games of this year and nearly all of next year's games. My wife and I just talked with the GBL VP Greg Coleman at a game and he was working on the season ticket pricing for next season already.

:shrug:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't say who I heard it from, but it sounds pretty legit that the Miners will be done if not the whole league. I hope it isn't true. Start up leagues need to go through the growing pains.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've heard that the Surprise franchise might get moved. Just not enough response from the community out there. And that the Japan team might get a "home" stadium, so they don't have to play on the road all season long.

I hope the league stays around. When this season wraps up, we'll have been to 50 1/2 out of 54 games at Hohokam. Not too bad, eh? :cool:

One way to help the league is to show up in Surprise on Thursday night. ESPN will be there for Sportscenter's 50 States in 50 Days promotion. :thumbup: It's changed from a doubleheader to one game at 7:05 pm.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
I can't say who I heard it from, but it sounds pretty legit that the Miners will be done if not the whole league. I hope it isn't true. Start up leagues need to go through the growing pains.

You must be registered for see images

San Francisco Business Times article

New league hits, scores
Fans, sponsors - and Rickey

08/01/2005

Eric Young

The Golden Baseball League is recording some impressive victories in its rookie season.

The new minor league has lined up $4 million in sponsorships and is close to reaching its first-year attendance goal. And it's gotten some additional buzz from having a marquee player, former Oakland A's star Rickey Henderson.

In achieving some early success, professional baseball's newest minor league has made a strong case for its unique business model. Unlike most minor leagues, the Pleasanton-based Golden League owns all its teams and the contracts of its players as a way to control costs. In another break from traditional minor league business, the Golden League is independent. That means it has no affiliation with Major League Baseball and is not bound by major league rules about where teams can play.

The league, which began play in May, was launched at an advantageous time in the evolution of minor league baseball. Attendance at minor league parks increased to 40 million nationwide last year and the values of teams can reach $20 million.

With financial backing coming mostly from Bay Area investors, the Golden Baseball League has teams in seven cities in California and Arizona plus one traveling team from Japan. As a single-A league, it's on the lowest rung of the minor leagues

The brainchild of two Stanford University business school graduates, the Golden League markets itself as an inexpensive alternative to the high-priced games of Major League Baseball. An $11 ticket at a Golden Baseball League game gets you a seat so close to home plate you can hear the batter pop his gum. That same seat at a San Francisco Giants game runs $72.

Fans are responding to the Golden League's bargain appeal. With about two-thirds of its 90-game season complete, the league is on pace to draw at least 460,000 fans. League officials set a first-year attendance goal of 500,000. The top drawing team is in Chico, 170 miles north of San Francisco, which averages more than 2,000 fans per game. Teams also play in San Diego, Fullerton and Long Beach and in the Arizona cities of Yuma, Surprise and Mesa.

Lower priced concessions are as strong a draw as the game. Beer in Chico goes for as little as $4, compared with $7 or more at some big league parks. Plus the Golden League parks feature a variety of diet-busting food such as tri-tip sandwiches and polish sausage with the works that sell for around $5..

"Sure, a baseball game breaks out every day, but that's not why people come to the park," said Chris Holen, Chico's assistant general manager. A winning team is important, he said, "But it's not the most important thing. It's probably more important that the tri-tip sandwich was good."

Among the Golden League's most crucial plays was lining up sponsorships that will total $4 million this year. The league's marquee deal is with Safeway Inc. The grocery chain agreed to a three-year, $1 million deal with the league that gave the startup league needed cash and cachet. Southwest Airlines also joined as a league sponsor and teams have reached local deals with companies such as Holiday Inn, State Farm Insurance and Amtrak.

In baseball, luck never hurts. The Golden League got some in the form of Henderson, Major League Baseball's career leader in stolen bases. League officials lobbied the 46-year-old to play in their league as he pursues a goal of once again playing in the majors. He signed with the San Diego team, prompting precious early-season publicity for the league in major newspapers, on ESPN.com and on TV. The rest of the league features unknown players, some of whom have previous minor league experience.

The Golden League's first year has not been error free. The league said a team from Tijuana, Mexico, would play this year. But that team's stadium lease fell through just two months before Opening Day. The league scrambled for an eighth team to fill out the competition. With little time to spare, a team of Japanese players agreed to join the league for a year.

While its strong start is encouraging, the Golden League needs to keep the turnstiles clicking to nail down long-term success. The league wants an average of 1,800 fans per game to break even by the third season.

So far this year, games are drawing an average of almost 1,300, based on a review of published attendance figures. But cities like Surprise and Mesa are not averaging 1,000 fans. In cities like Long Beach and Fullerton, the Golden League is competing against nearby Major League teams, which receive the bulk of local sports media attention.

Other factors could challenge the Golden League's business model. The single-ownership format -- designed to allow profits from some teams to prop up losses from other teams -- has been tried and abandoned in other places.

Consider the Central League, an independent minor league system with teams in Texas and Louisiana. The Central began in 1993 owning all its teams. But some money-losing teams were too much of a drag on the league's finances. League owners eventually sold all but two of its eight teams to raise money.

Golden League officials, while acknowledging the challenges, are busy planning for next year. League officials are in discussions to place a team in the Bay Area. The league is talking with Pleasanton, where its headquarters are located, and six other cities, said Chief Executive Dave Kaval, who founded the league with president Amit Patel. Kaval said a Bay Area team appeals to the league's investors, most of whom live in the region.

Backers include venture capitalists like Tim Draper of Menlo Park's Draper Fisher Jurvetson. Other investors include executives from Cisco Systems Inc. TV personality Pat Sajak of Wheel of Fortune fame also contributed to the $5 million used to finance the league.

Before the first year wraps up on Aug. 30, Golden League officials hope their low-priced, intimate brand of baseball continues to appeal to people like Mike Antolock of Chico. A regular at Chico's games, Antolock enjoys the familiar environment.

"The ushers know you. The owner of the team knows you," Antolock said. "When the team wins, I win."

Eric Young covers sports for the San Francisco Business Times.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Didn't see you on Sports Center tonight BIM! I was watching since they were at the Mesa Miners game as part of their 50 states in 50 days. :thumbup:

Don't tell me you were out getting peanuts! :eek:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lmao:

Didn't make it out there, but was listening online and taping it at home.

We decided to focus on this week's final 6 home games.

We defeated Japan tonight 7-5. :thumbup:

Tomorrow night's game will be broadcast on 1310 AM ... vs Japan again. :cool:

Go Miners !!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we lost last night, but won tonight. :thumbup:

It was cool listening to yesterday's game on the radio while at the game.

Tonight - Warren Cromartie told me F U and then blew up at one of the umps - lead ump Pat Riley. Used every word in the book, kicked dirt on him, got right in his face, etc. The ump showed great restraint. It was definitely a sight to see. He eventually got ejected.

After the game, Kash Beauchamp saw my wife and I waiting outside the clubhouse and he asked me if I was the fan that "Crow" was so upset with. He said I was responisble for him (Kash) managing the rest of the game. :D

:jedi:

BIM

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fútbol A Football coming to HoHoKam

Fútbol A Football, sponosred by ESPN Deportes, will be making a stop at HoHokam Park on August 18 as the Mesa Miners take on their cross-town rivals, the Surprise Fightin' Falcons. The Spanish-language sports network will be in Mesa as part of its Experience Tour where fans can test their soccer and football kicking skills for a chance to win prizes.

In 12 markets around the country, there will be opportunities to practice shooting soccer balls into a net and kicking field goals, as well as registering for the actual contest. There will also be a chance for those 18 and over to be eligible to enter a national sweepstakes that could net $10 million. From all the sites, one person will be chosen in a random drawing in mid-November to get the chance at halftime of the Rams-Cowboys game on New Year's Day in Dallas to kick an empty-net soccer goal from midfield and make a 40-yard field goal. If one kick is good, the prize is $25,000. Two misses will still get the kicker $10,000.

First pitch is 6:35 as the Miners will play their final three home games against Surprise.

Call 480-39-MINER for ticket information.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
He said I was responisble for him (Kash) managing the rest of the game. :D

BIM

What did you say to piss him off?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
What did you say to piss him off?

In two consecutive innings, two of his players were caught in a pickle between first and second base. As he made his way back from his spot as third base coach, I said "Hey, Crow - are you giving the wrong signs?" He looked directly at me and said "F*** you!" I yelled back that there were children in the stands and almost at the same time first base umpire Pat Riley told Cromartie not to swear at a fan. The next thing you know Cromartie was cussing loudly at an unbelievable rate as he approached Riley. He had a very heated exchange and eventually got tossed.

Update: Crow got suspended for all of the remaining games, except for the last game vs. Yuma - in Mexico. :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Miners lost 2 out of 3 versus Surprise, but have won the first 2 (of 3) versus San Diego. If the Miners hold on to win tonight, up 3-2 in the 9th, they'll win the Arizona Division and be tied with San Diego for the overall lead in the GBL. :cool:

After this series, Mesa heads to Yuma for a 4-game series.

GBL Playoffs/Championship take place in Long Beach Sept. 2-4. It's set up like the College World Series.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first round of the GBL Championship Series is now set: The
California Division champion San Diego Surf Dawgs (52-38 ) will face
the Chico Outlaws (49-41) in the first game at 3:00 P.M. on Friday,
while the Arizona Division champion Mesa Miners (51-39) will face the
Long Beach Armada (49-41) one hour after the conclusion of the first
game which will be at approximately 7:00 P.M. Winners and losers will
then face-off on Saturday in the double-elimination tournament with
the two teams with one loss then advancing to the semi-final game on
Sunday. The undefeated team through Saturday will get a bye directly
to the single-elimination Championship Game Sunday night.

:fans:

Go Miners !!

BIM

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:

The GBL is continuing...without Mesa, if the news I've heard today is true.

Sounds like Mesa will disappear, regardless of how the playoffs turn out.

Next year, there will be a team in Reno, the Silver Sox...managed by Les Lancaster. :bang:

Oh well, we had a blast THIS season, and it's not over yet.

:fans:

Go Miners !!!

Win it all !!!

Force them to get rid of the champs !!!

:|

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The San Diego Surf Dawgs used a six-run third inning explosion and held on to defeat the Mesa Miners, 9-6, to capture the 2005 Golden Baseball League Championship. Marcus Jensen went 4-for-5 for the Miners, the Arizona Division Champs. Victor Hall added three hits and drove in three runs for the Miners.

San Diego catcher Cody Clark was named the Most Valuable Player of the GBL Championship Series. Clark went 3-for-5 and scored twice in the deciding game.

SAN DIEGO - 9 16 0
MESA - 6 13 2

WP - DONOVAN GRAVES (1-0)
LP - JON UHL (0-1)

:shrug: :mad: :x :thumbdown :oops: :barf: :( :bang:

RIP Miners...2005-2005

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in the deciding game

:rolleyes:

There needs to be one more game.

Lamest tourney ending ever.

Double-elimination until a final winner-take-all game.

Completely removes the advantage of coming from the winner's bracket.

Mesa was 2-0 and San Diego was 2-1. San Diego, coming from the loser's bracket, should have had to defeat Mesa twice.

Instead San Diego and Mesa played two games total and split them, yet San Diego is given the championship...

:lame:

It was set up perfectly for a Labor Day afternoon championship game too...

:bang:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
THAT BLOWS! :mad:

I agree. Whoever made up those rules is an idiot! :mad:

Also, pulling the plug on the Miners after one season is lame... :bang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mesa wants Miners

Jim Walsh
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 8, 2005

Even though the team drew dismal crowds and lost in the league playoffs, the city wants to keep the Mesa Miners baseball team at Hohokam Stadium next year.

Stadium manager Dave Dunne said Wednesday the Miners are a good source of revenue during normally slow months, with the team spending about $70,000 to rent the ballpark for its inaugural 2005 season.

"It's kind of a rare find for us here," Dunne said, to have a regular customer for the high-end facility during the summer.

The stadium is used by the Chicago Cubs for spring training. This year, the city and the Golden Baseball League agreed to a five-year contract for use of the stadium, but it can be terminated by mutual consent once a year in October.

The Miners have closed down their downtown Mesa office, let most of their staff go and denied rumors that they planned to leave the city.

Dunne said he would attempt to mediate a settlement to an apparent dispute between the Miners and the stadium concessionaire during a meeting Tuesday with the league officials, who own the Miners and the other seven teams.

In an attempt to help the team succeed, he said Mesa agreed not to take a cut of concession revenue for the first two years, leaving the Miners and Cactus Concessions to make their own deal.

"We'd like to have them stay. We're hopeful it can be worked out," Dunne said.

The new league started play this summer and won the Arizona Division with a 53-40 record, losing Sunday in the league's playoff finals to the San Diego Surf Dawgs, 9-6, in Long Beach, Calif.

Despite the team's success, the Miners were last in attendance, drawing 46,643 fans for the season and an average of 915 fans per game, according to unofficial league statistics through Aug. 30.

The league's other Valley franchise, the Surprise Fightin' Falcons, had the second worst attendance, drawing 49,057 fans or 981 per game.

"They're re-evaluating the Phoenix market. I know they're very disappointed," said Mark Coronado, community and recreation services director for Surprise.

Coronado said he's meeting Golden Baseball League officials on Monday, but he expects the Fightin' Falcons to return for 2006.

"All indications are that they're coming back," Coronado said.

Dave Kaval, the league's chief executive officer, said no decision has been made on whether the Miners will return to Mesa or move and that all franchises are under review.

But he said the Miners' lack of concession revenue "is really the big issue in Mesa," because minor league teams generally receive 35 percent of revenue from concessions.

Kaval said the Mesa concessionaire also was difficult to work with during the team's first season.

Dunne said he was not a party to the Miners' deal with Cactus Concessions, but that concessionaire Greg Zimmerman told him the Miners received about $5,000 in revenue during 2005.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
League re-evaluates Mesa, Surprise team profits

Jim Walsh
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 7, 2005

A new independent baseball league billed as cheap family entertainment will re-evaluate the profitability of all its franchises, including the Mesa Miners, who finished last in attendance, and the Surprise Fightin' Falcons, who didn't draw much better.

The Miners received no concessions revenue at Hohokam Stadium in 2005, a big blow because minor league teams typically rake in 35 percent of their revenue from concessions, said Dave Kaval, Golden Baseball League chief executive officer and co-founder.

"That really is a big issue in Mesa," Kaval said, and may decide whether the team can be profitable in Mesa.

Although the league has a three-year plan to make money, "every team has to stand alone and be profitable long-term," he said.

Despite coming within four runs of winning the league's first championship on Sunday in Long Beach, Calif., the Miners finished last in attendance, averaging 915 fans per game and 46,643 for the season, according to unofficial statistics through Aug. 30.

The Surprise team drew slightly better at about 981 fans a game, and 49,057 for the year, but Kaval said the team raised more advertising revenue. The Surprise team played at Surprise Stadium.

Kaval said he will meet with Dave Dunne, Hohokam's stadium manager, and other Mesa officials on Tuesday to review the concession issue and discuss the team's future.

But Kaval said the league is focusing on possibly expanding from eight to 10 teams in 2006 and it's too early to say if the Miners will relocate.

"It's completely unfounded at this point," Kaval said. "We're spending the next two months re-evaluating all of our markets."

The independent league was launched this year by California investors including TV's Pat Sajak. Investors own all the franchises. It differs from many minor leagues with teams affiliated with Major League Baseball franchises.

The league bills itself as affordable family entertainment, offering $5 tickets and other promotions to lure fans.

"We're trying to create the Number 1 choice for a family outing," Kaval said.

The Miners won the Arizona Division, posting a 53-40 record under Manager Les Lancaster and reached the playoff finals over the Labor Day weekend, but lost, 9-6, to the San Diego Surf Dawgs.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's where we see if the GBL wants to tough it out through a bad concessions deal, or fold up their tents and leave like a circus.

Confronted directly with the question of them leaving Mesa for Reno - both founders said the statement was unfounded. We'll see if they can be trusted or not.

There is a strong core of diehard Miners fans who want the team to stay, want to get tickets for next season, and want to help the team draw bigger crowds and make more profits. They'll either embrace us or dismiss us.

Unfortunately, I think my sources are 100% right on this issue. I believe Mesa is done and there will be a new team in Reno managed by Les Lancaster. If my inside info is correct, I can already tell you who they'll name as GM.

:rolleyes:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure if Minor league sports can survive in PHX. We can barely support out major 4 and ASU. When I won the TV, I went to the park literally with a feeling that I was gonna win because there really wasn't much competition. The game againts rickey Henderson had a decent crowd but other than that it was empty except for about 30 friends and family. The Miners also have to really work on the game day experience. They would have an organ play maybe a couple of times a game on a tape. Try 100 times game. There were times when it was so quite it was surreal. They can do things better, they just don't have the right people in place to do it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard